for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'92 AC clutch not engaging

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Static-XJ, August 10, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Static-XJ

Static-XJ New Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs
      Year and Model:
      '92
      My AC clutch isn't engaging when I turn the AC on. The clutch turns fine by hand. I checked fuses, but didn't see any blown ones. Was going to send 12v directly to the clutch, but there's two leads, guessing it's not grounded through the case.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT 4x4
      Yes there are 2 leads on the compressor.. One is 12v and one is ground. It doesn't matter which is which.. If it engages when you manually put power/ground to it then the clutch is fine..

You should also check the low pressure switch. Its over on the accumulator. Take the connector off the switch, and short the plug. If the compressor turns on then you are either low on freon or you have a bad pressure switch. You will need to put a set of gauges on to see if you are low on pressure.

One other thing to check for.. the WOT relay. I believe its in the passenger/rear corner of the engine compartment. That relay is supposed to break the connection to the compressor when you are at WOT (or close to).

~Mark

4. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      Year and Model:
      1992 XLT
      99 times out of 100 this is happening because you are low on refrigerant. Save yourself some time and check that first before you go searching for electrical gremlins.