• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer CEL

86caprirs

Reaction score
City, State
Chestermere, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 4.0L 4x4 XL
Ok it is a 4.0L 4x4 manual trans. I just bought it and noticed that the CEL is on..then off...on then off.. So here it is. I drove the vehical for 15 min and the light came on.After a couple min more driving it went off. Then I hit the freeway and the light would come on then off.A few more km's and it was staying off.Kind of wierd because I could not pull the codes if the light is off right???What do I do with this CEL????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could not pull the codes if the light is off right?
This is a common misconception. I'm not sure where it comes from or how it got started. You can and should pull codes as the first step in diagnosing this. See my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" thread for information to get you started.

If the light is coming on it'l hopefully set a code in the memory/history section. But it's usually best to scan a vehicle with the light on to get a current code.

-Drew

Yeah, see I thought the light has to be on to get a code....Well I shut the truck off so does it hold the code or will I have to wait for it to come on again????

when a code is set its set in its history/memory as well. So even though you clear the codes, it should still be in the "history" section

-Drew

ok. Then I will check it tomorrow!!! Thanks

Alrighty...I checked codes and had alot of them. Most were overheat codes and MAF, HEGO codes. The vehical had a bad coolant leak from the intake causing an overheat condition and when I fixed the leak and resealed the intake , I never cleared codes.So I cleared codes and have drivin it for a few days now with no problems.

Back