92 ranger 4.0 valve noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 ranger 4.0 valve noise

10mins is a long time but yea ive had one stick and took 4mins to free before..

All i was doing to this motor was removing the supercharger, replacing gaskets and had head milled.i blew the gaskets off from to much boost,i put the supercharger on another motor..

Mine did not take 10 minutes, but I'm used to about 30-40 seconds. The person who said up to 10 min. stated that the 4.0 lifters are different and can't get oil in them by soaking in oil. Thinking of how mine looked, and my memory sucks, there was no hole in the pushrod socket, which could be the reason. Anyhoo, still have some issues to work out. I have also O/H the A4LD trans and put the shift arms on 180 off. And had not fully filled it. Better to drop the pan to change that before it was filled. Did that first yesterday, and added more fluid. While the engine was running, I did not look under the Ranger. Should have as I now have tranny fluid running out the shop door. Gotta get that cleaned up before getting back under. Then find and fix the leak. After that, the engine can run longer and I can find out why one cyl. is not firing. Getting spark to the plug, so figure probably just a bad plug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did not take 10 minutes, but I'm used to about 30-40 seconds. The person who said up to 10 min. stated that the 4.0 lifters are different and can't get oil in them by soaking in oil. Thinking of how mine looked, and my memory sucks, there was no hole in the pushrod socket, which could be the reason. Anyhoo, still have some issues to work out. I have also O/H the A4LD trans and put the shift arms on 180 off. And had not fully filled it. Better to drop the pan to change that before it was filled. Did that first yesterday, and added more fluid. While the engine was running, I did not look under the Ranger. Should have as I now have tranny fluid running out the shop door. Gotta get that cleaned up before getting back under. Then find and fix the leak. After that, the engine can run longer and I can find out why one cyl. is not firing. Getting spark to the plug, so figure probably just a bad plug.
OK Finally getting to update. Had company, daughter, for Christmas and New year. Not much done except to decide I did not want to pull the trans myself. There's that age thing again. Contacted a local trans shop, then hauled the Ranger to them Monday. They are going to pull the trans, take apart to be sure I did it correctly, find and fix the leak{gusher} and then I'll bring her back home to finish the motor. Have not finished with interior work yet either. While she was apart anyway, I added a 94 explorer O/H console with auto on h/lites and auto dim mirror. Also remote door locks, a backup camera and back up sensors. Still have part of the dash and both door trim panels to reinstall. Plan to add some sound deadner inside the doors..

I know its been a long time, but this is where I'm at now. 1st, I now know for certain that I don't know squat about o/h transmissions. Found out after letting it run the 1st time there was trans fluid all up underneath. After a few days to calm down and think, I did not want to pull the trans out while in the Ranger. Contacted a local trans shop and worked a deal for them to pull and o/h it Told them there was no hurry, so they gave me a good deal. Well, they took it to heart that there was no hurry, just got it back today. I also own a 1968 Thunderbird under construction, and it is in my shop now. Running speaker wires and doing some adjust on the doors. So looks like next week before the Ranger gets back on track. Oh how I wish for a BIGGER shop.

68 thunderbird is on my wish list.

I know this is a Ranger forum so I'll be brief. I've owned it since 1971. After many miles and several years, it was parked and sat outside for about 12 years. In 1999 we decided to "freshen" it up. That started a full, body off frame rebuild. At this point all that's needed are carpet, seats upholstered and paint. Not a restoration, this one is a driver.

If I wrote a book about this, it would go in the fiction section because no one would believe it. Not sure I do and I was there. Anyway, as of about 3 hours ago, I drove it down the street for the time in nearly a year. Last post was that I had it back from the tranny shop. Finished up what was needed on the engine and the most gowdawful noise from the bellhousing area. Shut it down and called the tranny shop. They said bring it back for them to check .Loaded her up on the tow dolley and back to the shop. They said it was a bad starter so back home I go. Do not own a good winch, so I'm loading with a come-along ---- not fun. As is my normal habit, after a mile or two I stop and re-tighten the straps. Pulled in my driveway, hard left turn and a shudder and clunk. The left strap had come loose and the front wheel went forward and off the dolley. Of coarse the dolley fender is now taking up space where the door once was. Jacked it up and finally got the dolley out from under the ranger. Pushed it around to line up with shop door. Stretched out the winch cable and a chain to pull her into the shop. I'm worling alone and it is a slight uphill to the shop door. Using the winch at the front of the Ranger so I can use her battery. That winch has not worked in reverse in two years, so you know what happened. Pushed the wrong button and it reversed which allowed the cable to come loose from the spool. Hurt my back trying to run around the truck and stop it before it got to the street.

If I wrote a book about this, it would go in the fiction section because no one would believe it. Not sure I do and I was there. Anyway, as of about 3 hours ago, I drove it down the street for the time in nearly a year. Last post was that I had it back from the tranny shop. Finished up what was needed on the engine and the most gowdawful noise from the bellhousing area. Shut it down and called the tranny shop. They said bring it back for them to check .Loaded her up on the tow dolley and back to the shop. They said it was a bad starter so back home I go. Do not own a good winch, so I'm loading with a come-along ---- not fun. As is my normal habit, after a mile or two I stop and re-tighten the straps. Pulled in my driveway, hard left turn and a shudder and clunk. The left strap had come loose and the front wheel went forward and off the dolley. Of coarse the dolley fender is now taking up space where the door once was. Jacked it up and finally got the dolley out from under the ranger. Pushed it around to line up with shop door. Stretched out the winch cable and a chain to pull her into the shop. I'm worling alone and it is a slight uphill to the shop door. Using the winch at the front of the Ranger so I can use her battery. That winch has not worked in reverse in two years, so you know what happened. Pushed the wrong button and it reversed which allowed the cable to come loose from the spool. Hurt my back trying to run around the truck and stop it before it got to the street. After tearing apart and fixing the winch,now it is too far away for the chain and winch cable to reach. Pulled the T-bird in front and pulled it forward enough to reach. As I'm backing out the Bird I backed into the bed side right behind the rear wheel. Finally got her in the shop and changed the starter. Fired her up and the noise is still there. Called the tranny shop and told them that they could come pick it up this time. Week later they show up and load her. Got her back Monday the 6th. All this time the engine has not been run for long because it is not totally wired. what they found was a couple of wires got crossed and when the alternator started to charge it sent 12v to the starter and was powering it to cause the starter gear to try to engage with the ring gear. Towed her back home and got her in the shop with some help. So today I got out there to find what was causing the engine to run so rough. Pulled the plugs to look at them and then ran a compression check. All OK. Plugs back in and started up and pulled one plug wire at a time. #1 was dead And it had good compression. Check for spark OK . took that plug out and checked for spark OK. Time for a break to think about it. Got to have spark, compression, and fuel. Now understand I'm 70 years old and my brain still thinks in a carburetor way. Then the a-ha moment. This is fuel injected so each cylinder gets fuel individually not common as from carburetor. Went back out and found and reconnected #1 injector plug. Damn she runs good now. Thanx to all of you who took time to give me good advise about the lifter problem.

I believe it! If someone lost a rubber strap in the road with metal hooks, my tire would stand up the hook, puncture the tire while the hook on the other end of the strap beats the paint off the fender.

I believe it! If someone lost a rubber strap in the road with metal hooks, my tire would stand up the hook, puncture the tire while the hook on the other end of the strap beats the paint off the fender.
Glad to know I'm not the only one with that kind of luck.

Back