Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

93 4.0 expo rough idle power loss ((PLEASE HELP))

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by toooofast, November 12, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. SwaintaN

SwaintaN Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 XLT
      i was getting 10 mpgs, had a lot wrong!!! started with i bought cheap o2s, replaced them with appropriate brand, that got a little better.. my cat was fd, replaced it with a magnaflow hi flow cat system, got a little better... cleaned my maf with denatured alcohol got even better, then it all came down to injectors... i was still getting not so good mpg and some bad foot response.. so while my stuff was getting powder coated i threw in new full set of fuel injectors (really good ones to for only 110 all of them). after that i started getting 13 mpg, you gotta remember these exs werent built for mpg

even with all that done i have headers on mine lots of new seals, all synthetic greases/oils but only get 15-18 mpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RALLIART15

RALLIART15 New Member

93 4.0 RANGER
      15-18 is good enough for me but 10 is killing me.
      Exhaust is coming soon, I'll check the brand of O2, maf is new, injectors were on the list and a possible ecu.
      This thing is just running retardedly rich and I'm not sure why.. can't afford to pour fuel out the tailpipe..

4. SwaintaN

SwaintaN Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
      93 XLT
      i did fpr when i did injectors.. more like i did injectors when i did the fpr... that fpr caused what your describing.. and same codes.. throw on a new fpr and injectors at the same time do a fuel filter.. make a huge difference in mpg! i get 15-18 with being lifted running 33s on a 3.73ls

5. RALLIART15

RALLIART15 New Member

93 4.0 RANGER
      Ok cool I'll put that on the list..
      Thanx

6. Glenn Brittain

Glenn Brittain New Member

City, State:
      Western Australia
      Hi there guys. Not sure if you still have this issue or not but if you have i do belive i have the answer. this is a common problem that these motors have and it caused by the DPFE sensor. (differential pressure feedback sensor) There is an easy way to fix the problem. firstly remove the top cover from the sensor and remove the filter from it. This is normally the cause. leave it open and take it for a spin. if there is a difference then the filter is blocked. I simply cleaned mine in some degreaser and gave it a blow with some compressed air. instant power restore! the function of this is to regulate the vacuum applied to the egr valve. to much vacuum = to much exhust gas getting into the intake. bad idel and loss of power as a result. hope this helps.

7. Arthur Alewine

Arthur Alewine New Member

City, State:
      Clinton, S. C.
      1993 explorer XLT

8. DMCL2023

DMCL2023 New Member

City, State:
      Dublin
      1997 Explorer
      Hi,
      Does the DPFE sensor come apart? Is that the plastic black rectangular object bolted onto the side of the block? I thought it can't come apart. Thanks