93 4.0 xlt, I'm young, and I need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 4.0 xlt, I'm young, and I need help.

BadLuckSince96

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
My explorer is currently in ICU...Hours of Google and YouTube research has got me no where..I'm mechanically inclined, just haven't ran into this before. No one will help me around here, and it's over my head. There is smoke everywhere when running, steamish white while idling at all temps,...black under heavy throttle, blue/white once rpms level out at whatever speed...tps, maf, and iac are newly replaced. All have power and ground, but can be unplugged with no change to the motor except the iac. Exhaust is carbon filled and harmful, cat is clear, no coolant in oil, and all vaccums are placed with no audible signs of leaks. Smoke also resonates from within the hood mainly from the throttle body or intake manifold. It's starting currently but with an extremely low idle, starting is (was) hard when cold over 40 on off turns before actually starting the truck. Afterwards starts fine until cold again. Last note the transmission has reduced to 3 out of 5 gears, it'll shift automatically when it winds out the gears.. usually I hand shift the trans with the 1 2 3 and works fine. ...no stalling but huge lack of power. I really wanna keep the SUV. It's been maintained well by myself, regular maintenance. I would love any help at all.

How many miles on it? I don't even know where to begin. Fuel Pressure Regulator? Clogged cats? Is it overheating? Does it have any oil in it? The trans could be any number of things, but the easiest check is fluid level, it will do a no-shift with low fluid, or a bad modulator. Linkage may be good since the column 1-2 work, but the D 1-2 requires winding out from what you describe.

It's tough to diagnose from afar with so many things going on. You may be time and aggravation ahead by taking it to a mechanic you can trust.

• Maybe the timing chain has skipped?
  • Is the check engine light functional? I'd check codes anyway.

Check engine on? I'd do a smoke test see if there is any evap leaks, white smoke means moisture in the fuel most times, black means you are burning oil, Could be excessive carbon build up, I've seen that do lots of weird things. Nothing wrong with giving the ole engine a detail clean as deep as you can get.

Back