1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

93 Explorer Charging System Problem

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by mattbguitar, September 15, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mattbguitar

mattbguitar New Member

Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      I noticed that the charging light on my Explorer stayed on so I checked the running volatge at the battery. It was only about 11.6V. I know for a fact that the alternator is working because it has been tried on another vehicle. I have no idea where to start looking for a problem. One thing though, I noticed that the running lights both stayed on fine, but when I turn on the actual headlights, the drivers side light goes off completely.

Another thing, although it may be unrelated, the vehicle lacks alot of power when going up hills. I probably just need a new fuel filter though.

Any ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. mattbguitar

mattbguitar New Member

Year and Model:
      '93 XLT 4x4
      Do you have any idea which one. None of the ones under the hood are labeled specifically to the charging system.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    6. Alan_V

Alan_V Active Member

City, State:
      Anaheim, CA
      Year and Model:
      1993 XLT

A couple of simple things to consider as I don't have a manual at the moment. Check the output voltage at the alternator. As a rule, always check both ends of the wire. I it's better there, you've got resistance in the wire. Also try running a ground from the case to battery ground. Most alternators ground thru the case. Again, added resistance between the engine and the ground. Check the ground post of the battery for voltage. If you read more than 50mv, that ground is bad. If I have time when I get home, I'll go thru my manual and see I come come up with anything else.

7. XxxMonoxideChild

XxxMonoxideChild Active Member

City, State:
      Rockford, IL
      Year and Model:
      92 pile
      i just went through a similar thing. truck wouldnt charge. after replacing the alt, battery, battery terminals, starter relay, running a ground to the alt, all new charge wire, and even OEM wiring harness with plugs. my truck STILL wouldnt charge.

ended up being a bad ignition relay....? i still dont get the reason why, but our trucks alt dont just charge the battery when the engine is on. the ignition relay has to inform the alt also that the motor is on, and to charge the battery. to me, that sounds like complicating things alot more then they need to be, but the fact is, ford decided they liked that idea.

not saying the same issue is what your dealing with, but if you get to the end of your rope replacing EVERYTHING, and it still doesnt work, try it. it took me weeks to fix this issue till i figured this out.

one exception though. my charge light never came on at all. and the voltage was getting so low, the truck stranded me a few time's, so it really should have.

8. Alan_V

Alan_V Active Member

City, State:
      Anaheim, CA
      Year and Model:
      1993 XLT
      Relay is about the second cheapest thing you can replace, so go get one. There are about 8 relays with the same part # in the box and at $6 each, you might just consider replacing them all. Cured an ABS problem I had last month. Light woudl come and go. Replaced the power relay and it's been fine ever since. Also fixed a blower problem a few years back.

9. weldtron

weldtron New Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL.
      Year and Model:
      '93XLT
      Can anyone tell me where the ignition relay is located?
      WELDTRON

10. weldtron

weldtron New Member

City, State:
      Chicago, IL.
      Year and Model:
      '93XLT
      Where is the relay located?

11. mawrazen

mawrazen Active Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, Ga
      Year and Model:
      94 Eddie Bauer
      Under the hood on the passenger side.

12. Delta_1980

Delta_1980 Member

City, State:
      livingsville, California
      Year and Model:
      92' exploder
      make sure you check the water level in the battery before you do anything else. My system wasn't charging , checked the fluid...topped off all the cells and bam... back in business . The cells (water level) should be right up to the plastic lip:usa:.