93 Explorer xlt A4LD Transmission Removal possible flexplate / torque converter issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer xlt A4LD Transmission Removal possible flexplate / torque converter issue

Just cause I thought about it today...when I went to start the truck today, it made the worst noise since this sh*t has started happening. Is there ANY chance that even though I pulled the starter to check it out, and it looked fine, no wearing, cracks etc etc, is there ANY chance that it could still just be a shi*ty starter causing all this? I would hate to have pulled the tranny to find no problems, and the find out that I should have just swapped the starter out for another one. Is it worth going and getting a auto wrecker starter and chucking it in there just to see?? All opinions welcomed, the more the better,
Thanks ahead all
IB47

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it make the loud noise as your starting it or after it is started?

Does it make the loud noise as your starting it or after it is started?

It is loud as hell (rattles / clunks / sounds like flexplate and starter slipping on each other) when I start it. After it turns over it is still quite rattly but no where near as loud as when I start it.

sounds like a bearing could be bad on the starter, or the gear isnt retracting all the way. couldnt hurt to bench test the starter before you pull the trans

sounds like a bearing could be bad on the starter, or the gear isnt retracting all the way. couldnt hurt to bench test the starter before you pull the trans

Bench test....pull the starter and connect it to a 12 volt power supply?
how do ya bench test a starter?

Any updates ? ?

OK so...sorry it has been a while guys.....weather has been the *****, and put my back out something awesome....was pretty pimpin for a while though! I got to sport a cane at 34!! Oh yeah! Anyways, tranny out flexplate re and re'd and tranny back in. Only problem I had was ****ting my pants afterwards when I took it for a spin and it was shifting waaaay hard when going into drive, or reverse, and it did not want to come out of first gear until rpms were up at 3500, and that was going 65 km/h....did not sound good. Then I remembered that this tranny works partially off of vacccum, and sure enough, somehow I kinked the hose behind the heat shield that is protecting it from the cat converter, and once I popped that back on proper, we were rollin awesome! The flex plate shold have fallen clean off from what was actually left holding it to the engine. There was literally only 1/2 inch of material still holding the plate to the inner section that the bolts go through to tag the thing onto the engine. Pretty stoked about getting this done, but as is the law of good things must come bad things, I now need to do the freakin head gasket. Pukin green out the drivers side to the point of not even being able to go around the block without lookin like slimer has been draggin his ass down the road. Also another task I have never tackled before. So, I ask anyone that is readin this...is this going to be harder than the flex plate re and re?? I have done my reading, and I know to mark and keep the pushrods in their original spots and positions, and use new head bolts when and if I get to the point of putting **** back together, and I know that this is not the thread to be talkin head gaskets, but I am not askin for head gasket advice / help, (yet), and when I do I will do the search thing and or start a new thread, but right now I am just asking straight up....will this be easier or harder than the god damn tranny?? The out law in laws are beakin over and over about get rid of it, buy something else, blah blah blah, which makes me want to fix it even more, even if it just to run them over once I am done and have something else break. Yo all know how it is when you have had a rid for long enough to love the thing, and that is where we are now. Even the Wife wants me to fix the beast...soooooo...over to you guys...I am at least exited about the fact that I dont have to lay under the damn thing for 99% of the procedure, but still...harder or easier than the flexplate fiasco?? Thanks ahead, guys, and sorry for being gone for so long.. been half dead, **** weather, and broken back, (not the mountain style).

Back