1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

93 Ranger 4.0liter Rough Idle/ Miss

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by sunrse777, April 2, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sunrse777

sunrse777 New Member

City, State:
      New York
      Year and Model:
      '91 XLT Supercab 4X4
      The engine runs very rough at idle. Feels better at higher rpm.
      Spark plug wires are relatively new. I pulled out all the sparkplugs. 5 have nice light brown color, no major deposits ... the 6th one, which was in the back position on the passenger side, is clean (porcelin core is white like new) and dry, as if it wasn't firing or getting fuel. I'm thinking it's a bad fuel injector. What else should I check? Have not had to change an injector before.... How much of a job is it ? I know the upper intake has to come off. Is it fairly easy to do on these? Do you need to replace any gaskets on the intake ? While it's off, are there seals on the other injectors that should be checked and/or replaced? I'm also thinking the injector might be plugged up .... any ideas on what fuel additive cleaners might work to clean it out in place ???? Thanks to all.........

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. marragtop

marragtop Well-Known Member

City, State:
      balt, md
      Year and Model:
      91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
      Did the problem exist before the wires and plugs were replaced? If not, could be a bad wire or plug. If you have an idea what cylinder it is, disconnect the wire to see if there is any difference in the way it runs. If you have isolated the problem to a specific cylinder, replace the plug and swap the wire with another cylinder to see if the problem moves with the wire.

4. sunrse777

sunrse777 New Member

City, State:
      New York
      Year and Model:
      '91 XLT Supercab 4X4
      Thanks.... I guess I should also do a compression check.... But since the sparkplug is dry and like new (clean) when I take it, I was thinking that the cylinder wasn't getting any fuel,, otherwise it would be wet if it was an ignition problem...

5. bmxr152

bmxr152 Member

City, State:
      Bakersfield, ca
      Year and Model:
      91 xlt
      did you ever find out the problem? Im having the same issue

6. sunrse777

sunrse777 New Member

City, State:
      New York
      Year and Model:
      '91 XLT Supercab 4X4
      Yeahh--- Bunrt valve and blown head gasket...

7. Tbars4

Tbars4 Offroad/Fitness Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      Year and Model:
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4