and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

93 XLT Ball Joints?

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by n0c7, September 25, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. n0c7

n0c7 Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      Year and Model:
      1993 Ford Explorer XLT
      93 Explorer XLT, V6 4X4, both front wheels have play up and down, solid from left to right. I know in most cars this means its the ball joints, does the same apply for 4X4, or is there something else I should consider? Had the thing aligned over a year ago, always pulled to the right before and after, and they never bothered to mention that the wheels have play. :rolleyes: It barely gets any mileage so I'm just finally getting around to giving it an overhaul.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Tbars4

Tbars4 Offroad/Fitness Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      Year and Model:
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...you are correct on the ball joints...right side is a common problem on the first gen's...the steering set up goes pretty regular also...at least they are inexpensive...;)

4. n0c7

n0c7 Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      Year and Model:
      1993 Ford Explorer XLT
      I've done regular upper and lower ball joints on cars, pop them off and rebolt. The Chilton's manual says I need some sort of special tool, looks a bit more involved. Any tips? Unfortunately this may be something I need to complete in one shot as we'll be out of a vehicle with my other car requiring more serious attention and I'm using the Explorer as primary transportation. yay. :cool:

5. pokerman11

pokerman11 New Member

City, State:
      Akron,OH
      Year and Model:
      '93 Limited
      I got a 93 EXP 4x4 and have had to change my ball joints about every 60,000 miles (done it three times).

If you have a Autozone nearby they have a loan a tool program to loan you the ball press. I know some other places also do a loan a tool.

If you put the new ball joint in the freezer first overnight, some guys tells you it goes in much easier.

I know harbor freight sells a ball joint tool but also need the 4x4 kit.

Be sure to change both upper/lower.

I used my clintons manual to change also - not that bad of a job - but just need a good place to work on the truck. Also if you need new brake pads - good time to change.

6. n0c7

n0c7 Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      Year and Model:
      1993 Ford Explorer XLT
      Turned out to be the wheel bearings, repacked, tightened, all good.