94 a4ld tranny, no reverse, neutral gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 a4ld tranny, no reverse, neutral gear

goatlegman

Reaction score
City, State
vernon, jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
hey. i have a 94 explorer and a possibly shot tranny. however i have time and no money right now so im just gunna fix it myself. however i dont know whats wrong. so i turn here.

i have no reverse, engine just revs
it drives forward in neutral
neutral will not allow me to roll at all

any suggestions would be great..

keep in mind that the tranny is already out and laying on my garage floor.

HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey. thanks for the advice. ill look into it and see if everything looks good. and ive heard from several places that my problem could be the valve body. im actually considering buying one i saw on ebay for 50 shipped.

It's too bad that you had to pull the entire transmission out before checking the valve body. Glacier991 has a sticky thread at the top of this section called the A4LD valve body rebuild diary.

yeah, i had someone i knew tell me they had a scrapyard that would sell me a used tranny for 150 if i come and take it out myself. so i take mine out to just go get the tranny and hopefully be running by the weekend. just my luck it was an 04 not a 94. i was so happy.

alright....so what are the oddss if i:

buy a rebuild kit with new bands, gaskets, seals, pump bushing, and extension house bushing.

and also buy a valve body

will this fix my problem given i rebuild everything correctly

You shouldn't mess with the front pump bushing. There are only 2 places which I'm aware of with a special lathe to finish it in place. You could rebuild the valve body instead of buying a rebuilt one. Some places could test your old one to see if it's bad. Sometimes the bores get too worn down, and need to be resleeved. In this case, you would have the option of either repairing it or getting another one. You could add a shift kit with Sonnax parts.

hey goatlegman,

i recently joined the forum, and was wondering did you end up solving your problem? i have a 93 aerostar 3.0, 2wd, with the A4LD tranny(about 140,000miles), and i have experienced the same exact problems that you had. should i look into rebuilding the valve body with a shifter kit? any suggestions?

-tom

hey brooklyn thanks for the reply. i will take it for a spin today or tommarow to see if it has 1st, and get back to you. is there any thing else i should look out for?

thanks for your help and happy new year!

-tom

i took it for a quick test drive and here's what i found:

reverse: the car wont move, but when i give it gas it seems as if the engine is under load

neutral: the car drives forward(first gear til around30mph, then if i continue to give it gas , it seems like it goes into neutral for a second and then it abruptly shifts into second gear. thats as far as i dared go, cause the tranny seems a little noisier than usual)

overdrive, drive, 2, 1 : all function properly

any suggestions ? does this mean i should start researching glacier's guide on tranny rebuilding? :)

thanks

hi brooklyn

i've got a couple of questions for you. since im relatively new to this whole forum thing, and posting . is it ok for me to continue posting here or should i start up a new thread in the aerostar forum?

unfortunately, i have now been focusing much of my time on the other car in order to get it up an running an out of the garage. fortunately its tranny is fully functional :)

well, since you mentioned that its probably :1 gear selector alignment or 2 the valve body. and from what i've read, im pretty sure that checking the gear selector alignment will be a lot easier to take care of than the valve body, so i plan on tackling that first. do u have any advice for checking the gear selcetor alignment?

thanks again for all your help

tom

The first thing to see is if it's in park when the selector says that it is. Another thing to check are the reverse lights when it says that it's in reverse. Another possibility is a bent Z link. You could start a new thread in the Aerostar Forum section if you want.

ugh! 93 explorer exact same problem

my explorer is doing the same thing! my trans cooler was busted and i lost all my atf trying to limp back home! i made it, but but when I got there i had the exact same symptoms: park is park, reverse dosen't move but feels like it's under a load, neural moves me forward, 1st gear and on work fine, freeway driving fine. has anyone resolved this yet? and it is definately not shifter alignment. I heard that if some shaft gets marred it can be stuck in this way. anyone know more?

94 Explorer Limited Edition - similar problem except Reverse also goes forward

Hey all...

My Explorer had some issues with loss of power when on an incline, then would slip repeatedly.

One day, I attempted to pull out from a steep driveway, the tranny slipped and grabbed about 6 times before I managed to get out onto the road.

After my next stop, as I tried to leave, I put it in reverse and only moved forward, Neutral also forward, 1st, 2nd, D & OD all forward. Park worked. The only way to get to Neutral was to turn the engine off, put in N, then push the truck back...

I had my rig towed home. A friend took a look & determined the shift selector cable was functioning normally.

Following is the weird part: I drove it to my girlfriends house (she has a garage) to figure out the next plan of attack.

As I drove, my rig ran GREAT! (with the exception of no reverse) All forward gears worked perfectly, no power loss or slippage.

I should note - I have already changed the transmission filter, and addressed power loss issues via changing the airfilter, cleaning the MAF system, fuel filter, etc - I think I have all of the fuel/air systems up to snuff.

Does this also sound like the A4LD valve body??

Thanks in advance,

- Troy

I have a 94 b4000 4x4 been having problems. i have lost reverse and overdrive four times and changing fluid and filter would fix it for 10-15k miles. However that didn't work this time. i can't figure it out. when its cold it will engage in reverse but shakes like its not fully engaging. i ordered shift solenoids but not sure that's going to fix it. any advice is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The two solenoids are for overdrive & TCC lock up so it won't do anything for reverse gear. It sounds like a low pressure condition. Check the pressure in each gear setting with a 0 - 300 PSI test gauge. Did you ever rebuild the valve body? Did you check the modulator, and the adjustment of the shift cable?

Back