• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer MAF codes

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
City, State
maple falls, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 xlt
im getting 157, 158 MAF codes. i've had a problem with before, i cleaned it off and it was fine. now i have these codes, so i cleaned it off again, but it hasent changed. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i forgot the 111 code. all three came up. its running rich when idling, sometimes bogs out and dies when i come to a stop, sometimes hesitates when under load. this only happens when the check engine light is on. the light randomly comes on and off while driving. when its off everything runs perfect.

the 111 is telling you that you have a v6

Assuming this is from the KOEO test, the 111 is telling you that it passed the KOEO test, and that the 157 and 158 are CM codes (see my notes on pulling EEC-IV codes thread for a better description of the difference between KOEO and CM codes). In short, what the KOEO 111 tells us is that the problem only shows up when the engine is running, and could even be intermittent.

If you haven't done so yet, the next thing I'd do would be to run the KOER test (sometimes these things can be easier to diagnose from the KOER test where the codes represent "hard" faults).

One thing to recognize is that the MAF is only one part of the overall fuel control system. I would probably put a fuel pressure gauge on it to make sure the fuel system isn't contributing to the problem.

Cant the cylinder code when you start the KOEO test also be confused for a 111 code? That's what i was talking about.....

The three count cylinder code (most manuals I've seen call it the engine id code) is output at the start of the KOER test -- not the KOEO test, and it could be confused for a 111 code if you aren't familiar with the KOER test protocol.

Back