and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

94 Ford Explorer. Mass air flow sensor.

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Podpunk77, December 28, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Podpunk77

Podpunk77 New Member

City, State:
      Wichita Kansas
      Year and Model:
      1994 XLT
      Last Christmas my explorer died on me and it was becasue one of my after market battery cable had come loose on the battery. I fixed it and that is when it started running like it was chugging for air. Nothing super bad just a little bit. I replaced the battery cables, the spark plugs, the air filter and it was getting worse. now I would push the gas and sometime is would go some times it wouldnt almost like I blew a header or 2. I took it to a shop to get it looked at and after $200 they told me it was the Mass Flow Air Sensor. I told them I would replace that my self to save myself another $100+ more. The new MFAS didnt fix anything how ever with it unpluged it runs great except now im only getting about 10-11mpg.

Any one have any ideas on what could be causing this?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 91-94 section. Did you originally have a code for a bad mass air flow sensor? Was the new part the correct replacement for the old one? Did you compare both part numbers?

4. walterd140

walterd140 Active Member

City, State:
      Ludlow, Massachusetts
      Year and Model:
      '94 Sport
      Check for an open vacuum line. They have a habit of blowing off the tree. Also check the line to your brake booster on the fender