94 xlt project | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 xlt project

Just started working on getting my 94 Explorer off-road ready, so I'll be visiting the site a lot for questions and opinions.

So far I'm on 31x10.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities and Pro Comp wheels. The tires hum when you get up to speed but it don't bother me none. They do rub when making a sharp turn, but a little trimming should fix that. Soon to come is a 4" lift and maybe 33s. In the meantime I'm gonna run a 2" lift with shackles and coil spacers. I'm hoping to get a flowmaster and some fog lights when I can. Also my KKM intake should arrive tomorrow.
Plenty more to be done, but I think I'm off to a good start.

2lc1iye.jpg

23jiwzq.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome. I'm on winter break and I finally have a chance to do the gear swap. Is it ok to temporarily drive with 4.10s in the rear and 3.27s up front, as long as I don't engage 4x4?
You can safely drive it that way forever... so long as you stay out of 4 wheel drive. :thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok, my old axle is off and my new axle is sitting behind the truck waiting to be put in. To anyone who has done an 95-01 rearend swap on a 1st gen, how did you connect the brake lines? All the 1994 lines are on the truck, except I cut the passenger side e-brake and took off the hardline. All the 2000 disk brake lines are on the axle.

Added some 55w auxiliary lights onto the bumper. $10 on the walmart clearance shelf.

no65hw.jpg

Just bought this 93 for cheap. It's got a 6"lift/SOA, 4.10s, and a 5 speed swap that shifts like butter. Needs some work though. I can't decide whether to part it out and into my 94, or keep it, SAS it and make it a straight wheelin truck. :)

6r0jlu.jpg

Good looking 94 (just looked through your hold thread) and that 93 looks very similar to one a friend of mine had, did you find it locally?

Lol I couldn't pass it up.

I installed some official brian1 u-bolt skid plates over the weekend. These things rule. The added ground clearance from the shock relocation is visible noticeable. The only problem I ran into was with the shocks, which brian stated might be an issue. I have skyjacker 2" lift shocks, so my up-travel is limited. If I throw some stock length shocks on I should have full up/down travel back. I also had to grind down the bushing to fit in the eye of the new skid plates. While I was working on the rear I installed new 3/8" center bolts in the leaf packs. The skid plates are beefy and strong. This is a good upgrade to anyone who is spring under and wants some more ground clearance plus u-bolt protection.

33xtzjo.jpg

Here's a little hill climb video. Notice at the top my drivers side rear wheel comes off the ground quite a bit. That's because my passenger side rear shock is fully compressed but too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7s_STlcmsQ&feature=youtu.be

How it sits now with clear headlights, RLC rear bumper, custom shackles from brian1, and the M5OD swap.

5eubgj.jpg

2j4t6yd.jpg

ru348x.jpg

These just arrived. Gonna start the new lift soon. I still need front shocks and bump stops.

168bd75.jpg

I finally have a matching full size spare tire. It's mounted on a heep wheel but I'm planning on getting a matching deer hoof wheel for it.

I also put on a set of 2nd gen roof racks. They are much more sturdy than the worn out racks that were on there. As a bonus they came with a set of ski holders which I plan on using to carry fishing poles.

b839yg.jpg

New 33/10.50 ko2's :D white letters in or out? I'm a fan of all black sidewalls but my buddy is convinced It would be cool to keep the white letters out.

bex6hf.jpg

Black out. In my career, anything over a 32" tire goes black wall. White walls look good on stock trucks with stock or slightly larger than stock tires.

Good to know. Getting them mounted tomorrow black walls out.

Edit:

Here they are mounted. They don't rub but I'd like more clearance. As I mentioned before I have a 6" skyjacker kit that I haven't had the time to install but it will be on soon enough.

155qkad.jpg

The rear bumper is an RLC bumper originally made my jamscal. It has been on a few members ex's and now I own it.

Back