95' 4.0 explorer sport fuel pump keeps running no start..~FIX! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95' 4.0 explorer sport fuel pump keeps running no start..~FIX!

Put new regulator in and same issue. Took out plugs and rear one where I hear Hissing is wet. ordered new injector. Stay tuned...:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put new injector in still no start, pump still runs on and on when I turn the ignition to ON, still hear hissing noise under hood...Whats next?...LOL

Just so everyone doesn't have to read the whole thread here are the things i've changed already:

Fuel pressure at rail
PCM,
Fuel pump/filter
Injector (one that was bad)
Fuel Regulator
Fuel relay
Fuel cut-off switch (inertia button)

Think I'm gonna lower the tank again and check fuel lines (two) and Pump.

Just so everyone doesn't have to read the whole thread here are the things i've changed already:

Fuel pressure at rail
PCM,
Fuel pump/filter
Injector (one that was bad)
Fuel Regulator
Fuel relay
Fuel cut-off switch (inertia button)

Think I'm gonna lower the tank again and check fuel lines (two) and Pump.

Boy, this is a real puzzler. I'm out of ideas. Did you replace the piece of rubber fuel line inside the tank when you replaced the pump? If so, did you install new line and did you use submersible fuel injector (high pressure) type hose? Also, did you use fuel injector clamps on the hose (rather than worm-style clamps)?

First two things I look for when a car don't start...Is it getting fuel? Is it getting spark? If your getting fuel, then maybe you have a bad coil or short somewhere do your plugs spark...I'd check that if you haven't all ready...

Hmm, when I pulled the pump I didn't see any interior lines? The pump came out as a whole unit Did the 95's even have those?

This is the third time i've changed the Pump and filter and never before have had this issue, Remind you that in the first post I changed the pump and it started right up, ran it to the gas station and drove around a bit to make sure it was working OK then parked it, sat over night then no start.

First two things I look for when a car don't start...Is it getting fuel? Is it getting spark? If your getting fuel, then maybe you have a bad coil or short somewhere do your plugs spark...I'd check that if you haven't all ready...
Did all that, thxs for your help

The "Hissing" sound near the fuel rail has me stumped, It has to be the leading cause of the issue. When I took it off to change the Injector I examined everything including vacuum lines and seen nothing that would indicate a leak.

OP - Before you drop your fuel tank, rereading this thread, you've said you're seeing 38 PSI of fuel pressure at the rail (which is correct for a '95). If so, fuel shouldn't be your problem. I didn't see where you verified that you're getting spark. Perhaps I missed it. I also did not see where you ever said which engine you have. As the SOHC wasn't offered until '96, I'm assuming you have the OHV V6.

Typically, if you have fuel, spark and air going into an engine and if everything is arriving at the right time, the engine should run or try to run. The SOHC engine is the exception if the timing chains jump time, but I don't believe we're talking about a SOHC engine in a '95 and it would be quite rare (though not unheard of) for an OHV engine to jump time or break a timing chain.

I don't understand why your fuel pump runs continuously on prime with the key ON. That's not normal, but you're already replaced all the related parts to no avail. I really thought you were on to something with the wet fuel injector and hissing, but replacing the fuel injector didn't help. Other than removing a valve cover, or doing a compression test, I can't think of a way to verify that the valve train is operating. If the camshaft isn't spinning the PCM might only activate the fuel injector on the cylinder(s) which happens to be in the intake stroke and perhaps run the injector continuously because the cam position sensor is telling the PCM that it's time to inject fuel in that cylinder. Have you run a compression test?

"I have a 95' Explorer with a 98' engine." (as stated in first post) No compression test but I did get spark from all plugs.

How do I test the CPS?

I know you said you have a '95 4.0L, but am I correct in assuming it's the OHV engine?

IIRC on the overhead valve 4.0L the cam position sensor is located on the center rear top of the engine and is hard to get at. It sits on top of the cam synchronizer, which is basically the bottom part of a distributor, driven by the cam shaft, with a hall-effect sensor on top of it. (photo below). The cam position sensor is held on with 2 small screws.

My first question would be is the synchronizer spinning, my second question would be is the sensor working. The purpose of the cam sensor is to time the fuel injector pulse for the PCM. It's function is very similar to the crank position sensor, which gets information from the crankshaft to time the spark. From what I understand on the SOHC and V8 engine, a bad cam sensor will still allow the engine to run, but not well. A bad crank sensor will prevent the engine from running.

To test the cam sensor I would think you could use a multi-meter set to OHMS resistance and back probe the electrical connector. When the engine cranking the resistance should vary.

84S2605-03.jpg

I've seen this sensor when I put the 98 engine in. it will be impossible to get at without pulling the engine. being buried against the firewall it will be difficult to even test....UGH

I've seen this sensor when I put the 98 engine in. it will be impossible to get at without pulling the engine. being buried against the firewall it will be difficult to even test....UGH

Yep.

Will I be able to pull the cam sensor after pulling the intake off?

Damn! that makes things a hell of a lot easier ...thxs!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thxs guys! i have three projects going at the same time so it may be a little before I get back on this (Remodeling my basement, running gas line to stove and this Truck)

Back