95 Aerostar ignition switch replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Aerostar ignition switch replacement.

DoOver

Reaction score
City, State
Catskill Mountains Of New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Loaded Long Wagon E4WD
Hello fellows!
I've been looking high and low for an "affordable" AWD Aerostar. I just found one today less than a half a mile from my house! It's seems to be fully loaded. The man said it has about 115k miles on it. He said that he put about $2,000.00 into it, and the ignition switch went. It has been sitting since 2006. I am going tomorrow to charge the battery, and fill up the tires. The way he described it, he said that he has to wiggle the key to get the van to start. I use to have a 91 Bronco that had a similar problem. I ended up taking the plastic sleeve off of the steering column to move the ignition switch, and start the truck with a pair of Dyke's. Is anyone familiar with the ignition switch on an Aerostar?
This rig is going to be my new beach buggy. Stand by for progress photo's!!!
Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some models such as my 88 for example had a recall on the ignition switch. Check to see if it's a recall on your model. If it is, then the dealer has to replace it at no charge. Are you still going to keep the 1994?

Hey Brooklyn,
I'll call the Ford dealer in the morning. They have to fix it even if I'm not the original owner? Yea, I think I'm going to keep the 94. It runs great, and it really hasn't cost me a dime since I bought it.
A lot of nice Aerostars being 'Death Paneled' up here. What a shame.

P.S. Thanks for fixing my spelling. Was the word 'sleeve'?

Crap, I spelled Aerostar wrong?

I am an electrician, a 'pair of dykes' refer to one diagonal wire cutter.

I'm happy with my crappy switch. Start it and pull the key out, lock it and let it warm up while I'm drinking coffee inside. If I lose my keys I can start it with anything that fits into the keyway. I wish I could pull the key out of my X while its still running.

Omg!!

Fixed!!
Dykes are kind of like the anti side cutters. I used to buy Kleins but now I use a German brand that are longer and give me more leverage. And are tougher when cutting ACSR conductors.
Brian

Getting back onto the original topic, follow the precautions in this link before working on a steering column equipped with an air bag: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2176421&postcount=3. I found some recall information: http://auto-recalls.justia.com/ford/aerostar/1995/99v029000/
FORD AEROSTAR 1995: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Make : FORD Model : AEROSTAR Year : 1995
Build Dates : 1991-08-12 - 1997-08-22
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 99V029000
Date Owner's Notified: 1999-03-19 Date Received by ODI: 1999-02-09 Date Added to Database: 1999-02-16
Manufacturers Involved: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Manufacturer Campaign Number: 99S02
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: IGNITION: SWITCH
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 762201
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MINI VANS. THESE VEHICLES WERE PRODUCED WITH A HIGHER THAN SPECIFIED ELECTRICAL LOAD THROUGH THE ACCESSORY POWER FEED CIRCUIT. THE POTENTIAL FOR CONTACT BETWEEN THE B2 (BATTERY), A2 (ACCESSORY), AND P1 (PROOF) CIRCUITS CAN OCCUR, CREATING A SHORT CIRCUIT, ALLOWING CURRENT TO FLOW THROUGH THE GROUND WIRE.
Consequence:
THIS CAN CAUSE OVER HEATING AND THE POTENTIAL FOR A VEHICLE FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A JUMPER HARNESS WITH A RELAY WHICH WILL RE-ROUTE AND ACTIVATE ALL A2 ACCESSORIES THROUGH THE RELAY.
Report Initiator: ODI V Report
Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Thanks for the above info Brooklyn. When I get this thing I will contact the Dealer. I went there today and installed the charged battery. The man won't leave the keys so I needed him to start it. Well after all his explaining about how the key switch is bad, it seems like it has a bad starter. I'll get that this week.
On a side note, this thing is rotted to piss. The quaters are gone as well as the rocker panels. I really like this van and it has about 100K on it. I am really thinking about having body work done in the spring. Does anyone here have any experence with doing body work on a rotted out Aerostar? I'm not sure if any body shop around here will touch it.
Brian

All of them rust away on the lower portion. The body doesn't have the proper drainage when water gets into these channels. They should have made this part out of PVC instead of sheet metal or at least line it with PVC, and use sheet metal on the outside.

Hey Brooklyn,
I just went to Mill Supply and they have all the rust parts available. I used to use 'Browns of Three Rivers' for replacement body parts but I can't find them. Now I need to find a good body man with a sense of humor.
Brian

Yes I can weld. But I think I want to send it out. This way it will get done and not turn into the never ending project, project.
Brian

I don't know if you would want to do this, but one idea is to cut off the rotted lower corners, take 4 or 6 inch PVC, cut it in half down the center length with a table saw, then connect it with stainless steel bolts. It will never rot away, and it's pretty durable. You could even paint it.

I don't know if you would want to do this, but one idea is to cut off the rotted lower corners, take 4 or 6 inch PVC, cut it in half down the center length with a table saw, then connect it with stainless steel bolts. It will never rot away, and it's pretty durable. You could even paint it.

That's first good idea I've come across for my rotten rocker panels. I'll do it!

I would like to see a photo thread if you do it.

Sadly, I'm one of those guys that needs a lot of help and has very little to offer in return. When I get control of some other issues with my van, I'll do the PVC rocker panels and I'll post lots of pics from start to finish. I already cut a test piece of 4" ABS just to see how it might work.

BTW, I'm sorry for the thread hijack. I really need to consider replacing my ignition switch too, but I really like that the key is unnecessary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sadly, I'm one of those guys that needs a lot of help and has very little to offer in return. When I get control of some other issues with my van, I'll do the PVC rocker panels and I'll post lots of pics from start to finish. I already cut a test piece of 4" ABS just to see how it might work.

BTW, I'm sorry for the thread hijack. I really need to consider replacing my ignition switch too, but I really like that the key is unnecessary.

Keep us posted on the test fit. Brooklyn, that's a great idea! I also have a peice of pvc and will try it.
Don't worry about the hijack. I haven't gotten my new Aerostar yet. When I told Freddy Fumbles that is needs a new starter, he now thinks it's worth 3 times as much as I offered him. He's acting like I'm a stinker and trying to steal his van. He still thinks the mechanic who told him $1500 to replace the steering coluum is a great guy. Go figure.
Brian

Back