95 Transmission help

GingeRed11

Make Explorers Great Again!
Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
alright, so yesterday was the day. I pulled in to a spot a plaid and when I came bakx(I left the car running) put it in reverse, horrible clunking and binding happened whilst barely moving and then I couldn’t roll back, my rear wheels are locked up or something from moving. I put it in neutral and it doesn’t roll. It moves forward kind of by with lots of resistance. My brother came with his diesel and tried to pull me backwards while I was in neutral and I was just skidding tires and he could barely pull me. So I got it towed. It will move foreword but I will not roll backward. So I live in Portland Oregon area, doesn’t anybody know of a good place to get a transmission new or used? I don’t really want to pay $3,000 for a rebuild, I was looking a for a used one. For like $600 or something like that. Also do you know what the problem with mine could be. We tried shifting through all the gears Incase it was stuck in Park. But nothing. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump. also does anybody know if i can just bolt up a 5r55e, there is one nearby for a good price. i dont care if it isnt a 5 speed, but if i bolt it up will it work like a 4r55e without doing anything but bolting up the transmission itself?

could be a trashed tcase. Wonder if the fluid was ever changed.

Would the t-case be causing the o/d light to flash. The trans shop said they found metal chunks in the pan when they checked it

Would the t-case be causing the o/d light to flash. The trans shop said they found metal chunks in the pan when they checked it
Metal chunks are probably the broken band.

Back