'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l

...BTF, he is a vendor here...

...I did want more clearance at the rear of the arms but I will test drive these bad boy's for a while..If the economy ever straightens out, these will be replaced with a different set for a future mod within two years...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Does anyone know if they made a stock transfer case skid plate for the 95-97 Rangers or if anyone knows where I can get one cheap???..:scratch:

If I understand what you are asking, the factory transfer case skid plate is the same on all Rangers from 1983 - 1997 (and I think 1st Gen Explorers.)

Don't you have on your trucks? Do I have to come out there and show you?

...I have one, not sure it's a stock one on my X...

...The Ranger never has had one since I bought it...All the guys I know with Rangers from here have made custom skid plates...:dunno:

...There are never any 4x4 Rangers in the jy and when there is one, I always forget to look at the skidplate..:(

If it turns out you need a 1st gen xfer case skid plate let me know. I'm pretty sure the skid plate off the 4x4 '91 is still in the scrap metal pile. Shipping would probably cost more than what I could sell it to you for..

Worst case, I could get it to you at the end of October.. :)

~Mark

...Let me see what I can do on my end but I might take you up on the offer at TH if I have no luck..:biggthump

...Picked up my shock towers from Ford today...:biggthump

...Still haven't looked for skid plate though..:rolleyes:

...Scott, let me know if these help..

knuckle_1_.jpg

knuckle.jpg

knuckle_2_.jpg

knuckle_3_.jpg

Yes, Ted - thanks.

If you pull the caliper and rotor off one day, snap a picture of that as well.

If my figuring is correct, I will need to use rotors from a '95 as well - apparently the rotor offset is different between the two setups.

...I will be doing the front bearings between now and Truckhaven...I want to get everything on and an alignment, so I'm working as fast as I can..:D

..You are correct...Everything from the balljoints out are a little different so, 95-97 Ranger parts will work...

I need to find a left-side knuckle...

Here's some pics I have of the '95-97 front brake setup:

2141652120089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2946358200089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2631972020089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2583743360089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2349914380089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2829044630089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2178841000089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2827862980089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2656592380089462589S600x600Q85.jpg
2064917570089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

...Perfect...That should make his job easier..:biggthump

Good pictures - thanks.

I wonder if the dust shields are the same between '93 and '95? I'll have to pull mine off and see, next time I repack the wheel bearings (which will be very soon.)

They basically are, but the '95 has a small notch for clearance of the ABS sensor.

...It really shouldn't be this difficult..

..I have been having trouble finding battery cables for the 95 2.3L Ranger for the past few years...Ford wanted $250 for just one of the cables and a vendor here had it listed for $150, and Ford wanted like $100 for the other one..

...For some reason Ford made these wires special only on this yr/model and it kind of had me scared to open up the stock wiring and since no one even had pictures of these cables, it contributed to me waiting until I could find them somewhere or really needed them...

...Needless to say, submerging the Ranger at least a few times a year hasn't made these cables any better..:(

...90Ranajo needed a jump for his project last weekend and when we popped my hood we found a nice green corrosion mainly on the positive cable end but also some on the negative cable...Considering this is attached to an Optima, it points to bad cables..(and I hate using the replacement end shown on the neg cable here except for emergencies..:p:)
cables_001.jpg

..I headed off to my local NAPA as they had told me when I get them off they could custom make some for me...To my surprised they had closed down due to the economy but, they had moved into their local hub warehouse..They now will not make custom cables...

...They did finally show a listing for both sides and quickly loaded me up with 3 of 4 cables now needed to swap out these cables...The ones shown with X's are no good and the other one is the correct negative cable..P/N 718229..about $55
cables_0021.jpg

...I quickly got to work and ripped out both cables..Here is a good pic of the new negative cable shown in the center..The 2 other cables are the wrong cables that were suppose to resolve the positive cable replacement...:rolleyes:
cables_003.jpg

...I took the cables back to NAPA and my final long search started again...We referenced 96 and 94 Rangers with no luck...I then went to AZ, Pepboy's, and a couple speed, pro, and raceshops...The consensus was for me to build a custom cable or search a jy but I decided to get creative...

...:scratch:...I had seen a positive cable just like this and it was relatively cheap...Hmmm...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250186&highlight=battery

...That's right, this cable is just like the first gen Explorer cable but it is uber rare for some reason to find the replacement for the Ranger..

...This picture shows the stock 95 Ranger 2.3L positive cable next to the stock 91-94 Explorer Positive cable Item#: CBL717993 about $46...It is an exact swap except the Explorer cable is about 11" longer...
cables_004.jpg

...For the enthusiast, these can be easily shortened and modified for a custom fit using Tsunami connectors but this worked for as close to a factory replacement as I could find for really cheap...

...I hope this may help others going thru this same search...:hammer:

Check your connections or...

...How to spend $150 on a starter and fender relay...:rolleyes:

...Friday a.m. I had a no start issue on the Ranger...Turn it on and click...I quickly checked all the connections , took the Project "X" to work and picked up a starter relay...

...Got back Friday night in the dark and said what the heck, I'll try and start it...Sure enough it fired right up..:scratch:

...Saturday a.m. it started right up but I thru the starter relay in the front seat just in case...I had to load/unload at a couple different places as I was heading to Sand Diego...Last stop before I left and I get a click...:mad:

...I tried everything in my bag of trick to figure it out including throwing the new starter relay in...I eventually bypassed the relay and after several tries it fired up...This had me a little confused but I went and swapped trucks again, bought a new starter figuring since I've never replaced it yet, it may have an issue since I swapped both battery cables a week or so ago..;)

...I quickly swapped out the starter, put all the tools up since I was running late and you guessed it, click...:mad:

...I again went thru all the cable connections and this time I couldn't get it to start by bypassing the relay..:wtf:

...I then figured it had to be a connection at the relay but heck, these are brand new cables...It turns out that one connection only is water proofed by a hard, semi clear coating...This is the eyelet connection on the small wire at the fender relay going to the starter...

...I cut it open and sure enough, it was not crimped..The wire was just setting loose in the hole and had no "Bite"...

...I did manage to stop by Napa on may way out of town and explain the problem I found with their positive cable...:rant:

...Oh yea, the Ranger is slowly but surely getting some "Sleeper" improvements..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288810

...Thanks to grant00 I scored this spare tire and wheel...
tire_002.jpg

...I got a squeaky wheel bearing this last week which turned out to be the passenger side inner so I replaced that...Needless to say the poor Ranger is going to be needing both front and rear brakes real soon including rotors and such...:(

...Then we went out and ran Main Divide Rd. for a shake down run...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292313&page=6

...I am still trying to get some more stuff done to the Ranger as Truckhaven is this weekend...:eek:

...Still need to get the parts for the brakes...:rolleyes:

...Instead, I bought some much needed offroad lights, two of them...They are going to need to be modified a bit for some more light...:D

tim-toolman-taylor.jpg

...I got started on the lights...
Ranger_edge_007.jpg

..And then my special order part came in...:D
Ranger_edge_009.jpg

...I've been so busy with work all of a sudden it looks like I won't be able to work on the truck till December...I'm really hoping work will last longer than two weeks and I can get something I really want for the Ranger...:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So where are you mounting the spare tire now?

Back