Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l

Discussion in 'Ranger / Mazda Registry' started by Tbars4, March 5, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...The grease, I can't remember...:dunno:

..What's up with you having to tighten yours so often? I haven't had that much trouble with them and I don't have another set of bushings to throw in yet...I do have another set of joints attached to another set of RA's that I ran for a couple months on the Ranger that are slated to go on the X...

..I was thinking about sweet talking you into picking me up some bushings at Ballistic during TH season but when I talked to them quite a while ago they acted like there may be more than one style nylatron bushing so it sounded like a pain to figure out so I haven't yet...You would think they could verify from my past orders but..:dunno:

...Along the same lines, I was talking with Dan out at Glen Helen and he said RuffStuff has their own line of similar joints with Nylatron bushings..I'm not sure if everything is compatible but looking to find out more about them as I know they take good care of their customers..;)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      I've only turned them 3 different times each side I think, over the years (3 years). I just shove a pry bar between them and the mount.. if I can get them to move I tightened them.. I don't now how much I've worn into them though.. One of these days I'll pull them apart and look at them.

I ran into that too.. I stopped by and I gave them the date I bought them and showed them a pic and they sold me replacements.. I haven't taken apart my orig ones to see if they are the right ones yet... If you need me to grab them I can. They are on the way to Truckhaven :)

I was also thinking of switching brands BUT I'm running an odd size.. 7/8" shank and 9/16" cross bolt. I could change the cross bolt size but changing the shank size will be a pain.

I do like RuffStuff though.. I put an order in on Monday for some parts and I'll have them tomorrow.

~Mark

4. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..Well, I wore another fuel filler hose out..:rolleyes:

..I would blame it on Moab but since it was a few months ago I won't..

..Tonight when filling up before leaving town I thought to myself, this is the first time in a long time I didn't have to fidget with the nozzle several times to fill up...They must have fixed the nozzles...

...A few minutes later something was dripping under the truck..:rolleyes:

5. Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

City, State:
      GA
      '93 Ranger XLT, 06 FX4 L2
      Should have stuck with 32s...

6. Maniak

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      I've noticed the non OEM hoses just don't last as long. I helped install a set on an f-150 a few years back. They had to be replaced again last month.

The factory ones lasted about 20 years. The first replacement set only lasted 5. At $2.50/inch you would expect that stuff to last..

~Mark

7. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...Sadly like most Factory replacement items from Ford for the older vehicles, they are discontinued or 1000x overpriced..:(

8. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...I ordered the new fuel filler hose online for $40 yesterday so that should ship out today..

4:88 DD Gearing Update

..With my standard trans 2.3L I am very happy with the 4:88 gearing and the 33" tires for hauling loads in my Ranger and as Daily Driver status..:biggthump

..I still get a variable of 15-18 mpg in town hauling these loads and over 20 mpg on long highway drives..

..The thing that puts this over the top and keeps surprising me along the way...Like coming out of San Diego and those two dreaded big hills I used to be only able to do 45 mph max on the freeway with 4:10's and 32's I recently found myself doing 70 in 4th gear climbing those same hills...

..With the 2.3L it takes a while to get up to speed on the hills but the gearing sure has made a great improvement which I think I've maxed out..(gearing wise that is for DD status)...:biggthump

9. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..I need to update this...:rolleyes:

In late October and just before the Truckhaven run, The Ranger got a new clutch, clutch line, Flywheel, and I installed the Atlas the day I left for Truckhaven..

..The week I got back I finally installed the new fuel filler hose too..:biggthump

:scratch:..That's all I can remember doing to it for now as work has still been busy and well, the camping and bikepacking thing too.:D

..Now that it is getting cooler I do need to get to thinking about a heater core and get that in before the cold wind really gets to blowin'..

10. Scott B.

City, State:
      GA
      Heater core? It doesn't get cold in SoCal ...

11. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..:shifty_ey ..I need the heater to defrost the foggy windows at the drive in picture show..:D

12. zekew64

zekew64 New Member

City, State:
      Carbondale, IL
      1992 Ford Ranger XLT
      Hey TBars...

First off, nice rig, man--always like to see another 2.3L, 5-speed Ranger in such good shape!

However, I do have some questions.

I'm running a '92 Ranger, same motor/transmission as you.

What I want to know is, what combo of tire and rim size, and rear gearing, would be ideal for a Ranger that is turboed.

I'm planning on doing a turbo swap sometime in the future, and I'm not really sure what I would need to use to keep my Ranger in the proper power band.

What I'm running right now are the stock 14s, with a 3.08 gearing in the rear. That combo seems like that its holding the running capability back, even though on long trips I've been able to pass semis running 50 MPH.

I was thinking of running 15s (I've got a set of rims to put on right now), but I've been contemplating running a set of early '90s-style F-150 16s (pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same).

Just interested in what your thoughts would be, since you've messed around with wheel and tire sizes, as well as rear gearing. Again, nice rig--I'm glad to see that even a 2.3 can handle a trailer, even loaded! lol :D

13. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..2wd or 4wd?

..If it were I, I would pull a set of used 4:10 geared axles (I suggest 2nd gen rear for disc brakes;) ) as they would be the easiest and cheapest way to do some testing on what you would personally desire for what type of driving/hauling (not mentioned) you will be doing with your truck..

..The difference would be noticeable while the cost would be minimal giving you time to discover the difference and contemplate what mod is next..:biggthump

14. zekew64

zekew64 New Member

City, State:
      Carbondale, IL
      1992 Ford Ranger XLT
      2WD...I've already done a disc-brake mod, as I already did put Mustang rear brakes on (I can upgrade to bigger brakes to go with bigger wheels, if needed).

As for what I want to do, I want to be able to get through snow in the winter, as well as haul different things from time to time, maybe do a little light off-roading from time to time (So. IL). Basically, I'd be going camping WAY out in the boonies, and I don't want to struggle going uphill or downhill. Also, the other thing I would want is to be able to have somewhat decent gas mileage.

I was originally thinking either 15s or 16s (leaning towards 16s, as 15s, for used tires, are becoming really scarce), with either 3.73 gearing or 4.10 gearing.

What do you think? I'll be running a normal 2.3 to start, transitioning to a turbo 2.3 sooner or later.

15. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..:scratch:..I would still go with an Explorer 4:10 swap and throw your Mustang parts on it..

..The 4:10's would be the best power/gas medium although you haven't mentioned tire size, you should be good up to 32"-33" tire stretching the mileage out...

The difference between 27" to 33" tires will allow several variations of driveability..The tire size changing will let you dial in what you want for power/gas mileage with the 4:10's and that should make you happy with no matter what is under the hood..;)

..It also is not uncommon to have two set's of tires..One or offroading and one set for hwy driving...:shifty_ey ..until it becomes a trailer queen..:D

16. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..I spoted one of the bolts was leaking again on the rearend..The rearend shop did the set on it when I had the gears swapped so it's been a little over a year..

..I just wish I could seal this without draining it below the bolt..:(

[​IMG]

17. Scott B.

City, State:
      GA
      What is attached to the brackets on the axle that look like rear sway brackets?

18. Maniak

Media:
      City, State:
      Vail, Arizona
      1992 XLT 4x4
      The preload bolts are above the bottom of the axle tubes. If your fluid is much over that your filling the tubes too which means your putting too much oil in..

You should be able to lift the rear end some, then pull the preload bolt out and not have any fluid (other than a drop or so) come out.

~Mark

19. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      I've never taken the sway bars of other than moving them from one axle to another..It flex's pretty good with them on..:D

..Yea..The shop did the work so I'm not surprised one leaks and the other does not..When I installed the Atlas the driveshaft bolts at the axle had probably a whole tube of red loktite while the bolts at the t/c had none..:banghead:

20. Scott B.

City, State:
      GA
      I noticed that when I had my rear bar on - I figured it was so flexy, the bar wasn't doing anything to stop sway.

21. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..I believe it's what has kept me out of the ditches..:p:

22. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..With Smog coming up, the Ranger "Moab Red" air filter got replaced with a new black air filter and I cleaned the MAF..

..I'm thinking about cleaning the IAC but since it is bolted from the rear of the motor I might wait on that and I might replace the plugs..

..as usual, I'll pull the plugs and see what they look like first..:hammer:

23. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..Have I mentioned I love this truck?

...I haven't done anything to the Ranger (other than,see above post) in order to take it to it's Bi-Anual Smog Test Only as it fits (Rangers and Explorers) in the "Gross Polluters Profile"..:rolleyes:

..I noticed yesterday the Idle is a lil rougher than I like and since the repair to the "Project X" is postponed till next week, I got the boneheaded idea that I have a couple days to burn so I'll just run it thru Smog and use that as a diagnostic tool to repair the Ranger over the net couple of days..

..I figured I would probably fail since I haven't done much in the way of a full tune-up or any real repairs in a couple years since the last test..

..The Ranger being OBDII as a 95 model vehicle usually means they won't hook directly to the computer since the Smog Regulations state ODBII as it was required on 1996 models and newer to be plugged in so the 95 just gets the sniffer..

..Well, you know how this goes...Of course...Since I didn't do any prep for this test they run it thru the full system test with sniffer and of course the Nitrogen "Evap" test..

..Since the regular test with the sniffer usually is performed at 15 mph and then upshift to 25mph and their computer reads the particulates...

..They spent a lot of time before that part of the test running the vehicle with wheel speed shortly then there were multiple rpm range test..I was getting nervous and was like :wtf:

..By the time I got to the "Evap" test I was pacing back and forth..This is the same time they test the seal on the gas cap...The machine shows a large Fail after checking the gas cap and at the same time an alarm goes off on the "Evap" test..:eek:

..Crop...I now see money flyin' out the window and know my next couple days will be very busy..:banghead:

.Then it dawned on me I don't really remember having changed that gas cap so it might be stock..I told the guy don't fail my truck as I will run down the street on foot and bring back a gas cap..He happened to have one so that cost me $12..Ok...Back to the test..

..Now he starts re- verifying the vacuum lines and I beleive they crawl under the truck to verify "Evap" and fuel lines..Usually when they start crawling under my trucks is when they start telling me I have modified something smog related (which I have not or never will) but this wasn't the case this time..

..In fact, the guys silence was what was making me nervous as they will usually give you an indication that something is not going so well but by the time all the test were over and the computer had linked to DMV in Sacramento which finally gives a full print out, I dang near had to pry it out of the guy if I had passed or Failed...

..I was expecting the worst but he said, "You did ok"..

..Yeehaw..:bounce:

..I passed everything and my readings were as good if not a lil bit better than in previous years..Not bad for a 4 truck with over 250,000 miles..:biggthump

Fuel Filler Hose Update

..It appears the cheap $38 Fuel Filler hose lasted longer than the previous hoses I had purchased and I don't think it will last till the next Test Only in 2 years but I will see..

..I also think the 1" bodylift I did for the Atlas has helped give some critical clearance where the hose normally tears at the 90* turn just above the fuel tank allowing it not to have to flex as much when the truck flex's out..:scratch:

..I think I'm going to reward the Ranger with a tank of premium Chevron..:D

..Oh yea..Smog Test only without any discount cost me $60, the gas cap $12, and the registration this year was $106..

24. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      Nice! Just passed mine a few weeks ago to my surprise too. I was the same way, pacing back and forth, getting really nervous, started hearing an exhaust leak at the header I'd never heard before, and I'd been experiencing an occasional random misfire before the test. The guy seemed pretty happy for me actually, when he told me my numbers were really good.

25. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..Even though I do this test every year as the trucks alternate, the old test was a lot quicker..

..The new test where they also plug in to the computer for database collection makes it seem like it is twice as long as it used to be..

..I did enjoy getting to hear what the Ranger sounds like from the outside and I like the sound..:biggthump

26. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ..The Ranger got it's tank of medium grade fuel and then she got put to good use..:D

..I wound up taking it instead of the "X" (which was broke down do to a shattered flex plate) to a race in NorCal...I then wound up in Reno which lead me to a number of other places locally up there and by the time I got home I had put about 1500 miles on the truck..:eek:

Here are a few updates as I believe this is the first real long distance driving I've done since I upgraded to 4.88 gears, 33" tires, and threw the Atlas in there..

..The lowest gas mileage per tank was 18.76 and the best was 21.78 mpg with 600# still loaded in the back of the Ranger...Oh yea...This drive was all done in the Sierra Mountains..

..The Ranger is a lot better in hill climbs now and it's kind of cool to be passing people at 65 mph where before I would be doing 45 mph with the old set up..

..However, there were those super steep highway hill climbs there I suffered doing 40-45 mph..:(

...This I can attribute to the gearing between 3rd and fourth gear as they seem to have the widest difference between the two...Now the 2.3L likes high rpm's so running up to 3500 rpm's is not unusual in such conditions but not for a prolonged period of time.

..With that in mind on the super steep long hill climbs I would be doing 3200-3500 rpm in 3rd with plenty of power and easily could vary the rpm up and down in 3rd..The issue would be moving up to 4th gear..

..When moving from the 3200-3500 rpm's (normally 3000 DD mode) in third gear up to fourth gear, the rpm's would be at about 2000 and just below the power band..:(

..Luckily this doesn't happen very often and the mpg's make me feel a little better but this is something I may look at working on in the distant future..:hammer: