'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'95 xl reg cab 4x4 5 speed 2.3l

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...P0301 is now history and the Ranger is all better..:biggthump

..Will try to update the above mentioned thread tomorrow..;)

..I've been out of town for a couple weeks for work and will still be gone for a couple more weeks so there is no new build info...

..However...:D

...There will be some pics and other tidbits coming soon..;)

..One item which I've been meaning to do for a number of years was to get a weight of the Ranger in pretty much stock setup...

Specs of "As is setup" for this weigh in

Stock

2.3L Std. Cab 6' bed
Dual manual sticks

Add ons

Shell that's carpet lined
Carpet kit with split deck
trailer hitch

Kinda stock items for weight difference

8.8 Explorer axle
lockers front and rear
wheels-stock deer hoofs
Tires-32x11.50x15 BFG A/t KO's
Extended RA's
Ballistic joints
chevy 63's (rear springs)

..:scratch:...I believe those would be the only "Weight" variables as the other mods would be pretty much stock weight..:hammer:

..With 3 gallons of fuel in the tank and myself out of the pretty much empty truck...The grand total weight is....

..Drum roll please...:p:

3860 lbs.

...This is how I run the Ranger at Truckhaven so this will be known as it's Truckhaven weight...

..Now if I ever remember to do the easy weigh in...I need to get the trucks weight in it's daily driver mode loaded with tools..

..I went out and saw some local sites such as the wind farm..:D

0816121610a.jpg

..the pic doesn't show it but this is where the movies film their wind farm scenes as there are literally hundreds of these windmills..:popcorn:

..Now the Ranger didn't get much leisure time as we are out here to work..:hammer:

...Up until recently I would have never thought about pulling a trailer with a 4 cylinder truck...

..Now that it has 4 wheel disc, Detroit in the rear, and 4.88's, it was time to test the Ranger out on trailer duty...

...600 #'s in the bed, 2 tons (4000#'s) trailer and load, on the way up to the dump...117*'s outside and it's about 10 miles with the last mile or so uphill and the Ranger kicked butt...I would think of getting electronic brakes on a trailer the next time I do this though..:D

0807121539.jpg

..Well...I did something today that I thought I would never do..

..I had to go into and order a part from an Authorized Jeep dealer..:(

..I did everything I could to get a Ford part and I'll keep searching to see if I could find it aftermarket elsewhere so others won't have to take that walk of shame into a Jeep Dealership..

..I did however take my X there and parked it in front of the front entrance doors tho.:D

..Oh yea...The undisclosed part shall be in town Tuesday and if it matches up for what I need and Ford doesn't have, it will be installed on the Ranger on the same day..;)

That wind farm picture is cool, renewables are the way the world has to go. I would have never thought to tow with that little 4cyl. The four wheels on the trailer have to help with the balance but dang. Jeep parts on a Ford? Haha. Looking good, though. Great to see the utility of your rig. I definitely aspire to build a rig like yours. Cheers.

...Thanks a bunch..:D

..She's not the most powerful but she keeps her head down and keeps charging forward...:biggthump

..I forgot to add some pics as she just got new tires and wheels...I'll try and get some up this week too..

..1 year free "Elite" membership for a non-Elite member

No Spoilers please..:biggthump

..Be the first to Pm me the link to this famous EF 2nd Gen Explorer build thread..(hint - started in 1999)

..My Ranger had a really famous EF Explorer come visit it yesterday in San Diego...Luckily CJExplorer and DAExplorer never visit the ranger section as this was taken right down the street from their place..;)

IMG_20120919_145930.jpg

..The winner will receive a pm n the next 24 hrs. and the winners name and answer will be posted here..

..Their "Elite" privileges will start in October...:biggthump

Woooo! Thanks! I almost wasn't sure because of the front end but when I saw Ray's "for sale thread," he mentioned that the cowcatcher/winch was already sold, so I knew it. Wheels gave it away, too. Couple of good looking rigs. Next to eachother, they both look like they're at a stock(ish) ride height.

..Congrats and enjoy...:chug:

...My Ranger is shown with maxxed out stock height on 33" BFG KO's..

IMG_20120901_121124.jpg

Ray's old truck (currently owned by FatCat) for years were on the same size tires but IIRC, it is currently sitting on brand new 31's..

Man, that looks good. Have to give 'er a once over and get some more pics; can't wait. All blacked out now.

31s would make sense, on a better look, yours is taller and is further back so no doubt that he's lower (my phone doesn't show too much by way of detail, either). I was always happy with the 31s on my 'yota; people not in the know would think that I had a lift. Of course the 33s were always in the back of my mind.

Cheers.

..She will be going up an inch or 2 at the max over the next few months...

..I'm hoping to get the new gears up front and get it aligned before Xmas...It would be nice if work picked up this year so I could get started on some bigger projects for it..:D

...The Ranger has been working hard and has began to develop a couple new issues I need to look at when I finally get home..

1) Slight shimmy, probably ball joints
2) A random clunk comming from the center or rear of the vehicle I can't duplicate. I think it may be slop in the ballistic joint.
3) Temp yesterday started getting a wider range than it ever has had and even the the truck is running fully loaded, it's only in the low 90*'s. Probably needing a fan clutch..

..If I knew of a good electric fan swap for the 2.3L this might be time to get this project started..:scratch:

..If I knew of a good electric fan swap for the 2.3L this might be time to get this project started..:scratch:

Look into Derale fans - that's what I put on my project truck. I'm using one of their controllers, too.

..Thanks, I'll start looking into them when I get home..

..I'm currently out near Victorville and found some cool rutted out ravines to play in/on...:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Even with my truck loaded with tools I was dieing to try out the new set-up...I didn't send any tools out the windows of the shell but I apparently beat on it enough to have the air filter come off...

..Found this out this morning when I came to my first stop heading home and the truck was idling like crop..:D

..She will be heading back up to Victorville for light work duty next week and hopefully be getting some new goodies added on to her this winter...;)

Back