96 EB Explorer: horn suddenly doesn't work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 EB Explorer: horn suddenly doesn't work.

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
96 EB Explorer: horn suddenly doesn't work.:SOLVED

Until just recently my horn has been working just fine.
Now. Nothing. As far as I can tell I don't hear any clicking when I push the horn on the steering wheel.
I have done my best to check the interior fuse panel on the driverside dash. Found the lighter fuse blown.
Swapped around the relays in the junction box under the hood.
still nothing.
Any more suggestions before I get into the steering wheel contacts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our horns tend to go out.. Snag you a used one from the jy and see if that's the culprit. If it is you can get some really loud replacements pretty cheap.

I'll manually jump the horns to see if they are working. I haven't looked yet but are they accessible from under the front or ??????

Yes, easily accessible. Take off the plastic trim piece on the radiator support and you can see the horn mounted below.

if it's not the horn itself, it could be a fuse, the horn relay or maybe even the clock-spring.

Problem Solved. Smog.Horn.Fuse

How a rejected smog test fixed my horn problem.
As stated, I have had a problem with my horn not working. Well, I go to get my yearly smog check and my Explorer was rejected due to 5 different incomplete drive cycle indicators.
The smog tech, whom I've known for years, tells me to drive it more since I cleared the codes. Problem was. I never cleared any codes for over a year.
I then remembered that the 20 Amp Maxi fuse in the underhood junction box is for the horn AND PCM memory power. Fuse 11 in the power distribution box.
I had checked that fuse during my first diagnosis and it looked good. I drove back to work, about 1 mile, and pulled the fuse again. It was hard to tell if the fuse was good until I magnified it. Yup..no good. Bought a new 20A maxi fuse from work for about $3 and drove it for 30 mixed driving miles.
Went back to test. Passed no issues :D and my horn works too!
So. If your horn doesn't work check maxi fuse 11 and your PCM drive cycle status, if you have a scanner. Everytime you shut off the engine the PCM wil clear if the fuse is blown.

Back