1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

96 V8 Explorer, broken spark plug *pics inside of what I used*

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by VeeArrSixXeR, July 31, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Electrohacker

Electrohacker Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clinton Twp, MI
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT V8 4WD
      we eventually got the extractor stuck (never bought the expensive tool) and used a dremel to grind it all out, then used a hacksaw blade to cut the shell

problem was, it fell in the cylinder. We're waiting for spring to take the head off clean it out and re assemble.

on a side note we did get a new spark plug in and it seals like it always did, but we dare not try to start it!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Happster

Happster New Member

City, State:
      Dunstable, MA
      Year and Model:
      2006 Eddie Bauer Edition
      Absolutely

do NOT start that beast. Assuming there are no chunks large enough to smash between the piston and head, you will, at a minimum, score the hell out of your cylinder wall and destroy your valves. Bummer. I've tried the cheesy easy outs before...they always have just snapped on something like this for me. Craftsman easy out with a gradual taper...the only way to go. I must have put 110 pounds of leveraged torque on that m'er f'er before the threads freed, and it's still as good as new.

4. marragtop

marragtop Well-Known Member

City, State:
      balt, md
      Year and Model:
      91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
      Rather than pull the head, have you considered doing the following?:
      - pull all the plugs
      - SLOWLY rotate the engine by the crank pulley until the piston comes up to the spark plug hole.
      - using a small magnet and tweezers remove the remnants of the old plug

Just a thought...

5. Electrohacker

Electrohacker Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clinton Twp, MI
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT V8 4WD
      tried that, problem is it wants to come out sideways, we tried to remove it in one piece so now theres a long piece of metal in there

6. patrick112390

patrick112390 Active Member

City, State:
      chesterfield,va
      Year and Model:
      97' mountaineer 5.0 4406
      yea at the dealership we got one in the other day- where merchants tried to remove the new plugs from a 3v head and it broke off into the cylinder, all because they didnt follow protocal

hit with pb blaster, soak for 15, turn loose, then turn tight, and so on until they come out....its a lot of take a step foward then take half a step back kinda thing.. lol

7. dogbis

dogbis New Member

City, State:
      south bend,in
      Year and Model:
      '96 sport
      Another option I have used before is a shop vac,rubber hose that fits in the spark plug hole and gray tape. Tape the rubber hose to the shop vac hose put rubber hose in cylinder and turn on vac.Worked well.

8. ZO6_Vette

ZO6_Vette Member

City, State:
      Long Island
      Year and Model:
      2006 EB
    9. DanBrandon

DanBrandon New Member

City, State:
      Louisville, KY
      Year and Model:
      '95 XLT
      Dremel drill

10. DanBrandon

DanBrandon New Member

City, State:
      Louisville, KY
      Year and Model:
      '95 XLT
      I followed this forum to get a plug unfrozen. Another thing I did was since it was the collar that was rusted to the head and not the threads, I took my Dremel drill and a small drill bit and carved around the collar. I even penetrated into the corrosion in several places to allow the PB Blaster to seep into the corosion better. This allowed it to break away easier.

11. midwestmk2

midwestmk2 New Member

City, State:
      St. Louis,MO
      Year and Model:
      1994 Explorer sport
      Well this is awsome.. My truck has 188000 miles on the OD and as far as i could tell they had never been changed. I was gonna change the plugs and guess what happened... :mad: Well ill be trying this method out real soon.. Ill let ya know how it turns out..

12. midwestmk2

midwestmk2 New Member

City, State:
      St. Louis,MO
      Year and Model:
      1994 Explorer sport
      Thanks guys the extraction went very well.. :thumbsup:I heated it up twice and sprayed it with pb blaster in between heating it because of the iron heads.. Used and extractor and voila its out.. I only picked up one plug for now before i try the others and when i started it i had a slight knock at first.. :( It has Never knocked before this.. It went away for a minute or two and then came back.. I dont know what is wrong and i am stummped.. Is it because i only replaced one plug or what else could it be? Please any answers would be greatly appreciated..

13. BigDakota

BigDakota Active Member

City, State:
      Bismarck ND
      Year and Model:
      95 Sport
      midwestmk..did you read this..this might be your knocking noises
      Figured I would bump this to you just in case your plug removal was similar.

14. midwestmk2

midwestmk2 New Member

City, State:
      St. Louis,MO
      Year and Model:
      1994 Explorer sport
      Well i did everything that the thread said and still got the knock.. Well my stepdad said i prolly just knocked some carbon loose down in the cylinder from tapping the easyout in.. So he made up some rubbing alcohol and water solution and we spayed it into the throttle body while it was running and the knock just went away after a little bit..:D I had never heard of this method before but he is an ASE mechanic and said it was a trick he learned over the years... Gotta love the experience of the older mechanics and there tricks..:thumbsup:

15. tclark77

tclark77 New Member

City, State:
      rochester,ny
      Year and Model:
      94 exploder

this tool is for the 3valve v8's. It is a must have. I bought after using the snap on version on three broken plugs in a truck we got in from another shop. This tool threads an extractor into the sleeve (unthreaded portion at the very end) of the triton plugs and pulls it straight out of the plug bore.

Now my 2 cents, pb blaster remaining threads let sit, bash in spiral extractor, install tap socket on extractor, rip the whole shibang out with an impact. the combination of the hammering and speed of an impact pulls them right out.

It might seem a little brutal, but it has saved my ass countless times. Here in western NY anything older than a few years old is a rusty mess, and calling a customer back to say their tuneup just turned in to cylinder head r&r doesn't make anyone happy.

hth

16. 2k five-oh

2k five-oh New Member

City, State:
      Maine, USA
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT AWD V8
      Great thread. Need some advice here, however. I started on the passenger side of the truck, and got two plugs out, and two broke off. I went to the store and I got an easy-out for which the package states you should use a 17/32" drill bit. This worked for one of the broken plugs (using the heat n cool and PB Blaster method) but with the other broken plug it just doesn't seem to grip the inside of the threaded part of the plug well enough to turn it. Am I using too big an easy-out? What is the correct size for doing this job? I have the easy-out on the end of a long 1/2" drive extension and I have been tapping it into the hole before trying to turn it. How hard can I hit the end of the extension without causing more damage? But most of all, what is the size easy-out that most people on here have had the most success with? Thanks!

17. 2k five-oh

2k five-oh New Member

City, State:
      Maine, USA
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT AWD V8
      **Update**
      Went back to the store and got the next size down. X5 I believe it was. Pulled the threads out no problem, and I got all new plugs wires and coils in it and man is it running nice now. Thanks to the people that posted in this thread that got me through this. I was stressin!

18. oxBullseye

oxBullseye New Member

City, State:
      Moo Hampshire
      Year and Model:
      1997 XLT AWD
      Another happy dude here after reading this thread, I was able to heat, spray, heat and spray and used an impact (low torque) gun with my compressor set at 100psi and was able to back it out.

I don't usually bump old threads, but seeing as spark plugs are one of those things that keep on coming back for more I figured it was worth the props and the bump :)

Thanks to everyone for this forum and it's members :)

19. redfury

redfury New Member

City, State:
      Isanti, MN
      Year and Model:
      1996 Explorer V8
      yet another victim

Funny, I started my plug replacements on the "hard side" first to get it out of the way. All of those plugs were just slightly tightened against the seal and I had no problems at all. ( drivers side )

Passenger side, every single plug was in tight enough that it required "force" to loosen them. As it was, the 2nd and 4th plug were the most stubborn. I got the 4th plug ( closest to the firewall) out, but it required close to maximum effort with a 3/8ths ratchet on 3 extensions and a swivel and it came loose. So, I went back to that 2nd plug. Figured it would take the same force to get it to break free. Well, it snapped free :salute:

So, now I have a pretty built in whistle. I heated it up with my propane torch and threw some PB blaster at it, let it sit a few minutes, then hit it with the torch. Shortly after starting I had a "WHOOSH!" and it blew out the flame. Apparently I found the ignition point for the PB blaster that had gotten into the cylinder :D

Still working on getting it out. I picked up an easy out set and gave it a shot with a 7/16 wrench figuring I didn't want to over torque and break it. I don't have a good socket to fit it either ( have a set of square drives but they are too big or too small..grrrr ). So, it sits overnight and I'll take a crack at it in the morning.

Wish me luck!

20. chicguy

chicguy New Member

City, State:
      Arkansas
      Year and Model:
      thanks guys just what i needed, by the way i've got a 93 explorer xlt and have'nt drove it yet, hope to get it ready for july.

21. redfury

redfury New Member

City, State:
      Isanti, MN
      Year and Model:
      1996 Explorer V8
      Didn't want to risk breaking the easy out in the head, so I drove it up to the local mechanic. $100 later I'm good to go. Took them an hour and a half to get it out. Honestly, I'm not complaining. :thumbsup:

22. Torqueranger

Torqueranger Active Member

Year and Model:
      99 ford explorer 5.0l
      I broke a spark plug in front of my girlfriend's house.. My plugs had 150k miles on them and all came except one which broke in the head..The spark plug broke right after the nut ,so I had the rest of the plug stuck in there and half of the insulator ..I just told my girl friend to keep bumping the engine till it shoots the insulator out which it did and then I rode my bike down to napa and pick up a spiral fluted extraction set for $13 .. It took it right out with the help of a big breaker bar...

23. bluestream1

bluestream1 Active Member

City, State:
      Waterloo Ontario
      Year and Model:
      2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
      Is it better to try and change the plugs with the engine warm or Cold??

24. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Georgia
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer EB 5.0L
      i think cold, that way the metal's contrated (and you don't burn your fingers)

Last edited: October 13, 2012
    25. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Definitely cold, especially with aluminum heads. Don't forget anti seize.

26. SoNic67

SoNic67 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Newport News, VA
      Year and Model:
      2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
      Here are my pictures. Almost a copy of what happend above. Three plugs broke, managed to extract two, at the third, the first extractor wasn't 'gripping' anymore, bought another one from AZ, extractor broke. Drove it with extractor in place to the shop, head removed to pull the extractor. I blame the piss-poor design of OE plugs - half threaded (for automatic machine insertion) and not-plated with corrosion-proof alloy. Now I use only Autolite Iridium (XP) or, even better, NGK Laser Iridium plugs.

My mechanic told me that the extractors like that ones that I use are bad for thin-walled left-overs, they tend to swell the metal in hole, he had a different type of extractor. Because he knew that, now he gets all the work that I can't do (like replacing oil pump, exhaust gaskets replacement)...
      See below.

[​IMG][​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG][​IMG]
      [​IMG][​IMG]
      [​IMG][​IMG]
      http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/straight-flute-screw-extractors-536526-series

Last edited: October 14, 2012