96EXXLTinCO | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96EXXLTinCO

I've been lurking around here for a while now. I originally bought this 96 XLT, 4.0L, 5-speed man., 4x4 from a buddy. I was driving a 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse spyder GT, but it broke down. My buddy and his wife had just bought a newer Cherokee and the explorer was just sitting there. So he let me drive it for a while till I got the car fixed. Then I didn't want to let it go. So I gave him $1250 for it. This is pretty much it as I bought it:
20141120_164935_zpso9jbe0qd.jpg

started out with some lights under the dash:
20141115_211605_zpsjgorinbp.jpg

20141115_211632_zpsqsecr5uo.jpg

Added some sound:
20141120_165257_zpsnkq0ixaq.jpg

Then came my bday present:
20150121_141607_zpsfurpopdv.jpg

20150121_155346%20Mobile_zpssuap0r1g.jpg

But is looks WAY too small IMO, so off to Cabela's I go with gift cards.....oh btw, the body damage was from my buddy when he still owned it, backed into a gas pump pylon.....anyway, OFF TO CABELA'S:
20150129_114302%20Mobile_zpsz3plehdh.jpg

Bought the extra 22 or so inch extension off the shelf, I think that looks much better, and is way more functional too. Then I added one of these: (yes it says ice, it was a cold day).
20150227_135111%20Mobile_zps6wfyhcde.jpg

Next it was time for a AAL and TT:
20150507_193052%20Mobile_zpsmjcoy8bo.jpg

Yes the back is still sagging, but I finally pulled the trigger on the leaf spring bushings today (will be here saturday) so I can install the cheap autozone shackles for now. I found a decent set on a 95 at one of my pick and pull yards, but bolts were seized of course and I almost lost a finger trying to get em off, so autozone cheapies it is for now until I get my hands on some 2"x3/8" and fab up my own shackles. Really not looking forward to wrestling those bushings, but I want this part of the lift done. I got a line on some Mickey Thompsons for cheap that I want to get on this thing soon. So I finally took her out on her maiden voyage run to Johnny's Park. I know, not smart, but I went alone. Back in the day I had a 79 Bronco, and then a 90 F-150 that I took up to that trail all the time. Got to one rocky section that I wasn't feeling confident about and it started raining, so I decided it best to get the hell outta dodge. Had a blast and she did well. Here's a few pics from that day:
20150711_181353%20Mobile_zps2vrt43c4.jpg

Ya'll know how much pics never do the steepness any justice:
20150711_181526%20Mobile_zpsjvhl9jlg.jpg

20150711_182051%20Mobile_zpsh97bsfmo.jpg

20150711_182243%20Mobile_zpsdmrcz4gn.jpg

20150711_182454%20Mobile_zpsckbqcdul.jpg

20150711_182904%20Mobile_zpsrrqen8od.jpg

Found this little spur off the trail that looked fun:
20150711_183047%20Mobile_zpsb1efd7um.jpg

And again, pics never do the steepness any justice, but was steep, and it was loose, just after where I took this, I lost traction and has to turn around. Not a fun task on a steep loose hill, thought we were gonna eat it at one point, but we finally got the nose pointed downhill.
20150711_183231%20Mobile_zpsjm9ebwq9.jpg

And back home with her first bit of dirt from wheelin on her:
CIMG0225%20Mobile_zpsljrgovgq.jpg

The very next weekend, took a gal out wheelin on a first date, LOL. Tried to hit Pierson park road in Estes, but it's still closed from floods. Headed down to Allenspark and took the ski road quite a ways back, really rocky bumpy trail, constantly getting thrown around, but I can't wait to go back up there and take the trail all the way back. Apparently there was a ski area back in there in the 40's. Was only open a few years and only had 4-5 runs and 2 tow ropes. I dont believe any evidence of it is left. So once we got out of there I attacked Johnny's park from the other end, this time crossing the sketchy rocky area that turned me back before with no problems. We found a spur off the other end of the trail and parked where we could see the lights out east and just hung out for a few hours. I did discover I'm going to need more lights however.........I turned into some pretty sharp turns without being able to see what I was turning into......a little creepy...But we made it out and then next day it was time to delete those running boards. Before:
CIMG0295%20Mobile_zps2emuifkw.jpg

CIMG0296%20Mobile_zpsooehfgh1.jpg

And after:
CIMG0297%20Mobile_zpsx6x1yxnu.jpg

CIMG0298%20Mobile_zpskve7fwjj.jpg

Then I went ahead and finally installed a black herc'd grill I came across at the pick and pull:
CIMG0300%20Mobile_zpswqklfsy5.jpg

And that's how she sits right now. I got tons of little things to fix/replace and lots more mods. I hope to have 3" BL and 33's under this time next year. For now, I just want some 31-ish tires on it, and get everything back up to par before waterfowl hunting season.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking great!

The rubbing you are seeing is from only the rear flexing as you go offroad. I see you still have the front swaybar so all the flex happens in the rear. Mine doesn't rub but I'm running wheels with less backspacing.

It's great to see you getting out on the trails with it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So a couple nights ago I went to Greeley to give a friend a ride down to Denver. Should have took my car but I'm enjoying driving this thing right now. halfway to Denver I start getting a hesitation whenever give it any throttle. Like a BAD hesitation. Has to be spark or fuel..............so I manage to deliver my buddy to Colfax and limp the truck home. today I finally got a fuel filter and spark plugs. Now I dont know when the was the last time that filter was changed, but I had an extremely colorful vocabulary for a while. Twice I stepped away, went and did something else for a bit and then came back. Finally got that little (insert colorful vocabulary) off and snapped in the new one. Cycled the ignition a few times to get fuel pressure back up to the injectors and she fired right up. Took her around the block and WOW. I'm going to have to ask my buddy when was the last time he changed that one. Discovered I'm now a quart low on oil which I changed back at the end of March/beginning of April. Gotta keep a closer eye on that now. Still gotta get the dang park brake adjusted too, keep putting that off and it's kinda handy with a 5-speed. But hey, at least she's back on the road.

Good job! I gave up trying to remove the fuel filter from my Ex, had one of my Techs do it on a lift.

Good job! I gave up trying to remove the fuel filter from my Ex, had one of my Techs do it on a lift.

I had to mentally prepare myself for this one, LOL. I was prepared to take all evening with it if need be, walking away frequently helps. Took off in it last night to grab some dinner and then pick up a friend and go to Wal-Mart, hesitation came back (facepalm). Still got plugs to put in and I'll test the wires as I'm doing that. Fingers crossed..............

I had a set of plug wires once (different car) that were arcing to the engine block. They are gave me a horrible hesitation. I could see them arcing when running the engine in a dark garage. I never tested them with an ohm meter because once I saw that, I knew it didn't matter.

Do you have a check engine light? Misfires will set a code and if bad enough throw a light. To me hesitation sounds like fuel.

If the coil fires and the spark doesn't make it to the spark plug, would this trip a mis-fire code? The coil fired like it should. There's really no sensor in the combustion chamber to verify that a strong spark is making it to the plug. I would think that it wouldn't set a code.

I had a set of plug wires once (different car) that were arcing to the engine block. They are gave me a horrible hesitation. I could see them arcing when running the engine in a dark garage. I never tested them with an ohm meter because once I saw that, I knew it didn't matter.

Wires are on list for sure. Figured I'd just test each one as I change it's plug. Hopefully whatever this is will be that simple.

Do you have a check engine light? Misfires will set a code and if bad enough throw a light. To me hesitation sounds like fuel.

That damn light has been on since I bought it, and this little hesitation poked its head up a few times the whole time too. Yes I know, go get the damn code pulled, it just never ran as bad as it did goin to Denver that night. Fuel filter helped for sure. It's hard to say just from driving it if this is ignition or fuel. Got the day off today, so I'm going to go see what codes it throwin (I know it's not gonna be a pretty list) and put these plugs in, plus try and do a more thorough check for any vacuum leaks. I have unhooked the battery a couple times to clear codes in the past, and that next start up is when it's ran it's best (before the PCM relearns, and it's just running off default parameters). If plugs and/or wires dont fix it, I'll check fuel pressure, and test TPS and MAF (which I did clean with MAF cleaner a few months ago, as well as the IAC). There's just so many things that could cause it, but I'm almost willing to bet I have a small combination of things.

I had a Tech explain it to me but can't remember exactly but the ECU can measure the fluctuation at the crank sensor, I think...

I've seen this record on the Ford diagnostic tool and it will count how many also.

Hopefully its something simple. Out of my 4 computers, the 2nd one just finished installing windows 10, so I'm off to see what codes I got. I really need to just order one of them bluetooth OBDII dongles so I can do this myself. I'll report back with what we find.

Ok, so we only had 2 codes surprisingly. 1st one:

P0420
Definition: Catalyst efficiency low on bank 1
Explanation: The O2 sensors monitor the catalytic converter's ability to store oxygen.
Probable cause: 1) Catalytic converter defective (failure possibly due to items #2 ,3,4)
2) Engine misfire or running condition
3) Large vacuum leak
4) Engine oil leakage into exhaust - valve guid, seals, piston rings

Code #2:

P0401
Definition: EGR system fault
Explanation: The ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system
Probable cause: 1) Blocked passage on EGR system
2) Failed EGR valve
3) EGR solenoid faulty
4) Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable
5) Failed EGR position sensor where applicable

So, this combination painting a story for anyone? I'm sure the Catalytic converter is probably original. I would call 255k on it a good run if it is. Just hate the prices of those stupid things. Well I hate the price of ANY repair, all I see is mod money going away, but anyway............I'm gonna go put them plugs in and then I'll research these tonight. Anybody got any sites I should check out in relation to the codes? Since I've been coming onto this site for about the last year, I've discovered more cool sites through here than anywhere else, and wouldn't surprise me if there is a site where you can plug in your vehicle info, codes recieved, and it gives you a nice troubleshooting tree or something. Or maybe I'm just hoping there's one, LOL. I love doing upgrades/mods but hate doing repairs and maintenance.

FINALY!!! Got buried in computer repairs the last couple days and finally got to my spark plugs tonight. I learned that next time I'm going to see if there is any oompa loompa's available to rent to get in those tight areas and change them out. So drivers side went fine, took off the EGR and tube and that side isnt too bad at all. I get to the rear passenger side, and whoever changed out the coil pack last time, somehow managed to pinch the plug wire between the bracket for the coil pack, and the valve cover. And I mean pinched!! My big tool box with all my tools are in a storage unit that I dont have access to after 7PM, and I have no swivel sockets or adapters with me so I cant take the bracket off. I did managed to get to both ends of the wire to ohm it out..............nada. I suppose that could cause a miss huh? Quick run to the parts store, grab a set of wires, had to cut that just to get it out. Bent myself into shapes that would make Chinese gymnast jealous to get the plugs on that side, but a quick test drive after I was done looks promising. Ran the best it has since I've owned it. A few more drives will tell the story but?......................plugs themselves looked bad. Electrodes all worn down, plus a bad wire, hopefully I can clear codes and at least get rid of the P0420 code. Got done kinda late so didnt snap any pics of them plugs, but we all seen worn down electrodes anyway. Oh yea, and after having Saturdays off for weeks now, and emailing the boss and specifically requesting the 22nd off, he scheduled me for it. He's about to get another email.......................

Sucks about the 22nd. Maybe you will get "sick" that day.

An easy way to clear codes is to disconnect the battery and then hit the brake pedal a few times. Then hook it back up. No need to wait 15-20 minutes. It can be done as quickly as it takes to do all that.

The spark plugs on my 5.4L Expedition are no piece of cake either.

Sucks about the 22nd. Maybe you will get "sick" that day.

I got another email in to him, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll just quit that morning.....

An easy way to clear codes is to disconnect the battery and then hit the brake pedal a few times. Then hook it back up. No need to wait 15-20 minutes. It can be done as quickly as it takes to do all that.

I disconnected it at morning break, and re-connected it at lunch. Have only drove down to the street to the gas station so far though. Got a vacuum leak to find after work though, A/C is only blowing through defrost again.....prob knocked one of the lines when I was contorting myself in there.

Vacuum leak was a piece of cake. I took the front passenger wheel well out the other night to get some eyes and hands on the vacuum lines going under the blower motor to the firewall. My black vacuum sphere thing bolts to that wheel well, forgot to hook up the lines to it. So truck running even better than last night (It's got a little pep now, can't wait to see how that translates on the trail) and although I only went a few miles, still no check engine light. It does start a little funnier now, once it catches and I let off the key, it almost acts like it will die, and then roars up to 1500-1750 or so RPM. Wondering if that will settle down once the ECU learns it's parameters? Really hoping it doesn't rob me of power once it learns again either.

So with that done, and it still being light out, and I still had half a beer left and a bag of poly-fil that's been bouncing around the back forever, I finally pulled the drivers' seat and gave it the 2TT re-vamp. Much more comfy. Still need to work the fill around a little bit, came out lumpy in some spots. Also added some to the backrest with extra in lumbar area. Think I'm gonna like this seat now. Thanks for that little nugget Tom. The ole back is wrecked from years of work in various trades, worst of which was also my favorite, welding/fabricating, so I think this little seat restoration is going to pay off nicely, and that's why I love this site. I would've bought a new damn seat that was comfortable. Never would've thought to reach out to my inner Boyd Coddington and throw in a little Martha Stewart and come out with what essentially feels like a new seat. Awesome, just awesome. Oh, and been researching compressors, I've been trying to find something better for the price than the MF1050 (which research has shown is the exact same product as the MV50, one made by super flow, the other by master flow) but I think you nailed that one too Tom. I see Pep Boys has it on sale in store for $49.99. I got other things I have to do first unfortunately, but I think that's the one I'll go with as well when I'm ready. Unless I win the lotto of course, in which case I'll be joining you for the run in my new trophy truck...............

If money weren't an option i'd pay someone to design an a system like the H1's had. Don't even have to get out then!!! But i'll be going with your suggestion when the time comes unless there is more of a budget at that time.

Check engine light is back, but it's running better than it ever has since I've had it. I'll get it checked again one of these days, or order up a dongle or OBDII to usb cable. We'll see how the week plays out with it, but I think it is going through quite a bit more fluid in the clutch now. Not a difficult repair, but even if I had the dough for the slave cylinder right now, all I got to drop the trans is a floor jack, which is sketchy when you have help, I'm not trying that one alone.

Have been working on getting the trans out to replace the slave cylinder, but it's fighting me every bit of the way. Multiple parts store and storage runs for tools, slept through my day off today when I was hoping to be done by noon and hit a trail. just need to get bell housing bolts out and slide it back now. Of course whoever had it out last way over torqued bell housing bolts, so had to change air fitting on impact gun to use on a bigger compressor, run to get metric impacts sockets and impact extension from storage, progress today...........1 bolt removed from bell housing. Looking like rear main is leaking pretty bad, need to research how bad it is to do on this one, it may have to wait until tranny rebuild hopefully this winter. Hoping this slave cylinder will get me through a few trails before snow flies before I have to fix anything else. I knew it going into this, but it's always something.

Back