and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 4.0 SOHC- AC elimination/bypass???

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by brnltjo, December 23, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. brnltjo

brnltjo New Member

City, State:
      Columbia, PA
      Year and Model:
      97 XLT
      What is the part # or length of a new belt(any manufacurer) to bypass the a/c compressorre in place of the stock one? In 94' Ford had a "w/o a/c option/routing", but doesn't in 97'. The compressor is definitely locking up and the pulley bearing is froze and tearing the belt. I just want a cheap fix, don't need or want a/c. . Is it easier just to remove compressor and get a bypass pulley? Seems someone would have a smaller belt that would work for that year/model. I tried to trace a string around new belt path, but almost entirely impossible due to lack of room! Ford Service/Parts were no help either. Thanks in advance!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CASTLE95X

CASTLE95X New Member

City, State:
      Houston, but in Anchorage w/ Army for now
      Year and Model:
      '95 EX XLT 4DR
      Is the a/c comp clutch locked up? Try disconnecting the clutch control wire from the comp.

4. brnltjo

brnltjo New Member

City, State:
      Columbia, PA
      Year and Model:
      97 XLT
      Yup...clutch is locked up and wire/plug has been disconnected. Pulley/bearing is 90% froze. Entire engine compartment is covered in blackish brown belt dust.

5. CASTLE95X

CASTLE95X New Member

City, State:
      Houston, but in Anchorage w/ Army for now
      Year and Model:
      '95 EX XLT 4DR
      the oreilly web site has a pt # for a belt without a/c masterpro K060810 but that is for a 4.0 pushrod engine on a 95, when i tried to put in a 97 it had three options, 4.0 pushrod, 4.0 ohc, and 5.0 pushrod. you also might have to get an idler pulley to go in place of the comp www.oreillyauto.com www.rockauto.com www.partstrain.com www.lmctruck.com these sites may be able to help. ld look but i got an appt.

6. brnltjo

brnltjo New Member

City, State:
      Columbia, PA
      Year and Model:
      97 XLT
      thanks Castle

7. mdak

mdak New Member

City, State:
      Willow Ak
      Year and Model:
      2000 Eddie Bauer
      2000 ford explorer eddie bauer. 4.0 need to bypass ac with a new belt. I have no idea what to do or how to get one. Will schucks or napa know???

8. brnltjo

brnltjo New Member

City, State:
      Columbia, PA
      Year and Model:
      97 XLT
      what i did was trace the belt route w/o AC pulley with a piece of heavy string and take measurement to Autozone to buy a belt that size. Be prepared, when you restart the truck, the power steering will probably chatter/shake. This is air that needs to be "worked/driven" out. I didn't realize this so I scrapped the simple and cheap belt bypass idea and bought a AC bypass pulley. With this you need to totally disconnect the AC compressor and mount the bypass pulley and new factory sized belt. Works like a charm. AdvanceAuto had the pulley for around $30.

9. venice914

venice914 New Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      Year and Model:
      1997 EB
      I just did this on my 97 4.0 SOHC, going with the shorter belt and bypassing the AC compressor completely. Now my idle is hovering around 500-600RPM and it's dying out when I'm not on the gas. Any idea on what it could be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: October 24, 2010