1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 AC/Heat will not work..come on

Discussion in 'Explorer, Ranger, A/C & Heater systems HVAC' started by Jenno, August 8, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Jenno

Jenno New Member

City, State:
      Red Lion, PA
      Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer Limited
      I'm not sure what could be the problem, it might be something I need to have a professional look at, but wanted to see if we could try some things ourselves first.

Last year, the AC worked during the summer. There were however times when it did not. Like I could turn the truck on, turn the AC on and nothing, now once I was driving it would miracously come on. It did this a few times, then it just stopped working period. Been that way almost a year.

Heat doesn't work either. I hear no fan running either.

Is there a way to check for a bad compressor or fan before taking it in?

In the winter though, there is a TINY TINY bit of heat coming from the vent, I don't know if it's the heat from the engine or not, it's just enough heat to defrost the windows, BUT when I come to a stop, the heat stops.....

Any ideas or thoughts?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jenno

Jenno New Member

City, State:
      Red Lion, PA
      Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer Limited
      Could it be a fuse that I can look for?