and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

'97 AWD transfer case makes a banging noise.

Discussion in 'Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, &' started by thebings, October 22, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. thebings

thebings New Member

I have a '97 AWD explorer that has developed a loud banging noise coming from the front drive shaft or the transfer case. I removed the front shaft and the noise stopped (car is on lifts) however the shaft seems to be ok. The rubber boot is good and when I flex/rotate the joint, I don't feel any binding. Should I go ahead and replace the shaft or do you think the noise was coming from the transfer case. Like others have pointed out, the t-case is still turning even without the shaft attached, but it does not have any load on it. Appreciate any advise and help. Thanks
      Don

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      Year and Model:
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      front driveshaft definitely

4. thebings

thebings New Member

A web site that sells the drive shaft says it is important to check the transfer case before installing a new shaft because a bad transfer case will destroy the new shaft. How would I check the transfer case?
      Don

5. Joey P

Joey P Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year and Model:
      2004 Strac
      does it happen only on acceleration? I had the same problem that happened only under acceleration and when I removed the shaft, it looked good, I replaced it and it ultimately ended up being the transfer case. I replaced the transfer case with a used one and I was good to go. I suspected the chain inside the AWD case was stretched out or something. How many miles on your vehicle?

6. thebings

thebings New Member

Thanks for the reply Lil Bo Peep. No mine makes the banging during steady speed, slowing down, or accelerating. It will be really bad and then stop for a mile or two then start again. Turning into a drive way seems to make it worse. I have found a company that makes a repair kit for the CV, Rock Auto sells it for $102. I think I will install this kit and see what happens. Here is a link to the kit.
      http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2425736
      Don

7. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    8. Joey P

Joey P Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year and Model:
      2004 Strac
      Hmm. Yours is a 5.0 or a 4.0? Rebuilding the front drive shaft won't hurt either way. I'd check out the rear drive shaft too. Can you "feel" the banging sound under your feet when it happens? Around the location of the transfer case area? That kit you posted should be fine. Mine was a '96 5.0 and it had a different front drive shaft. It was a double cardan joint and not a cv on the front drive shaft.

9. thebings

thebings New Member

It is the 5.0 liter. The AWD with the CV joint was the only option with the V-8 in '97. With the vehicle on blocks and underneath, it sounded like and felt like it was coming from the front drive shaft. Using a stethscope, it was not over pronounced at the transfer case or the front differential. Yes I plan to change the universal joints on the front and rear axle. Thanks for your reply.

10. ponch68

ponch68 New Member

City, State:
      San Antonio
      Year and Model:
      '97 Explorer XLT
      Hope its the driveshaft, but I had the same issues with banging while accelerating, regardless of speed. My turned out to be the transfer case.

11. thebings

thebings New Member

I took the CV joint apart today and found a cracked inner race and one ball with rough nicks. Still waiting for my CV repair kit, I will post again when I get it installed but will be next week sometime. Thanks for all your input.
      Don

12. thebings

thebings New Member

Installed new CV joint today and happy to say it fixed the problem. The CV kit was good quality and easy to install.

13. fast99f350

fast99f350 New Member

City, State:
      New Jersey
      Year and Model:
      97 explorer xlt
      i have a question. What is the brown wire mod for the control tract?

14. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      Year and Model:
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    15. thebings

thebings New Member

This was the CV joint on the aft end of the front drive shaft. The fwd end has a universal joint which I replaced. So I only replaced the one CV joint.

16. Explorer Junky

Explorer Junky Active Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, Mi
      Year and Model:
      1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0
      I tried to get to this link and all it does is show me a picture. Can you send me a better link that will let me see price and maybe order. Mine clunks when shifting into gear and maybe the clunking noise I hear when driving down bumpy gravel and dirt roads? Either way, its got 200,000 on it! My wheel hubs are original, could that be it also????

17. thebings

thebings New Member

18. thebings

thebings New Member

Tried to post a link to Rockauto where I bought mine but having trouble. Just go to rockauto.com and search for MFG name Dorman and part number 932201
      Don

19. Explorer Junky

Explorer Junky Active Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, Mi
      Year and Model:
      1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0
      Thanks fellas! I just might have to order it this weekend. I got under there and grabbed the shaft by hand and gave it a good strong twist and it clanks, and clanks when shifting into gear. Also, had my reluctant wife ride with me and ask if she heard it on her side or mine and she said drivers. So, hope this is it. Then if that doesn't do it, then its the hub next!

20. Thomsoningreen

Thomsoningreen New Member

City, State:
      Troutman, NC
      Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer XLT 4WD
      CV rebuild anyone know how to put this together?

I have the said kit above but not sure how it goes together. Are the parts pressed together to assemble?

21. thebings

thebings New Member

The domed end cover is a snug fit but not a pressed fit, it's just the gasket that holds it tight. I don't remember for sure but I think I held the bearing assemby by hand then tapped the end of the shaft (the end with the universal joint) on a piece of wood which broke loose this cover. Once the cover is removed, then you can remove the snap ring and pull off the bearing assembly. When I put the unit back into the vehicle, I tightened the bolts a little at a time to pull it back together straight. Hope this helps

22. Thomsoningreen

Thomsoningreen New Member

City, State:
      Troutman, NC
      Year and Model:
      1997 Explorer XLT 4WD
      Thank you, your right not pressed, however it does go together tightly that it will stay on once pushed together during the time you tighten it on the transfer case. Also the kit from Rock Auto works great for this.

Last edited: December 6, 2010
    23. Awsum97

Awsum97 Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NewYork
      Year and Model:
      1997 5.0 XLT AWD
      cud be the CV joint i had a noise that turned into a grinding etc. i replaced the joints on the front driveshaft and the CV joint (had to send the driveshaft out to be fixed).

24. subhunter

subhunter New Member

City, State:
      Nashville
      Year and Model:
      2001 Ford explorer
      Newbie here

Hi I am new to this forum and found it browsing to find some info on my explorer. I use my explorer as a daily driver and sometimes haul a 16' tandem trailer.

Recently while pulling a load I heard a loud pop when I went to accelerate from stop. Never heard it again until yesterday and it did it a few times. I only heard it when puuling the trailer. Any who I crawled under thining it was a bad U joint or three, and the drive shaft cv joint looks kinda bad. Boot missing, looks rough inside. Its getting replaced first of the week but my main question here is: Could the drive shaft cv joint have been the popping sound I heard or should I look somewhere else?

THANKS in advance !!!