1. It's time for our yearly 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale! Last day is November 30!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a full two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership!

If you would like to extend an existing membership for two more years please contact "Rick" through a conversation/private message as I will have to set up existing memberships manually. Thank you and happy holidays!!!
    Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

97 EB 'Check ALL Lamps' after LED switch

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Tactica, November 15, 2017 at 1:12 AM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Tactica

Tactica New Member

City, State:
      Charlotte CH, Virginia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      I replaced all my 1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer lighting with LED lights. Brake, tail, reverse, turn, interior and the headlights are now HID bi-xenon everything but the high mount 3rd brake light and instrument panel/dash is now LED.

Prior to replacing the stock bulbs with these LED's I had no messages or warning about lamps being out but after I replaced the stock lamps with LED I am getting "Check Tail Lamps" "Check Brake Lamps" and "Check Head Lamps" in the message center even though all lamps/lights/bulbs are functioning properly.

Am I getting these messages because LED doesn't draw the same amount of power as the stock bulbs and it's throwing off the computer/system check or do I have a faulty module? Not sure what the process of elimination would be or what to check first to possibly fix this issue.

This isn't a dire issue but it is rather annoying hearing the multiple errors and having the reset them at every startup system check. I am rather fond of LED for the power saving and aesthetic upgrade however I am debating on keeping my HID headlight conversion kit.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Support EF

Holiday Special through Nov 30! Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Albany, NY
      96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
      Yeah, your Lamp Out module looks for current or voltage. It was actually decontented after 97 I believe. I believe you can remove it or possibly add resistors. It is rare for a LED to go out anyway. The LOM can fail and make your headlights stop working too.

4. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      Yep, you either need resistors, or you needed to purchase LED lights that have them built-in. Most of the places that sell LED lights should be able to sell you resistors, also, or lights that come with them.

On my newer vehicle (I also own a 2012 VW Golf R), I can code out the bulb out error using a tuning program I have. As for your truck, I don't know if Tweecer or similar could do that. If available for your 2nd gen, that's an option too...

5. 96eb96

96eb96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Albany, NY
      96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
      The message center is its own module and invisible to any scan tool. Another option may be an Arduino, you could probably have it watch LED current and output a resistance if the bulb works. Chances of a LED going out (I believe) is quite slim.