97 Explorer 4.0 Head Gasket replacement . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer 4.0 Head Gasket replacement .

Metalgear26

Reaction score
City, State
FLORIDA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi everyone . Im new here but have followed some nice post and learned alot about my 97 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 Sohc engine ... Heres the problems im having . Cold start trouble until it warms up . I believe its the intake rings . Now my coolant fluid is leaking from back and front left of engine . Its head gaskets and i think water pump housing . I got the engine out now with help from posts in this thread but am having trouble finding a post about how to replace headgaskets . Also is there a diagram of engine parts with names ? I have trouble remembering what things are called ... I have changed engines and transmissions before but never opened them up . So if anyone can help me get started that would be appreciated . And any tips or info for what might and or should be replaced while i have it out is welcomed . Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem here is not so much replacing the gasket, as it is putting everything back afterwards.

You definitely want to replace the timing chains, guides and tensioners, which in itself will require quite a bit of study. Good luck

How's yours coming along Metalgear? Any luck?

I'm fixing to have to replace my head gasket on the same truck. I've never done a head gasket, but I was quoted $2200 or so and I don't have that kind of money right now. I'm fairly nervous about tearing it apart. Truck doesn't over-heat but its been leaking anti-freeze for over a year, maybe 2. Now the check engine light is on and I think the valve cover gaskets are leaking or there is a air leak somewhere. The inspection was due in February so I'm driving on a dead sticker. In the hayes repair manual I can't find a section that really breaks down how to replace the head gasket. The closest thing I could find was directions on removing the cylinder heads I think, which I'm worried is going to make me do more then necessary.

I read somewhere that to replace the timing chain, you have to remove the motor. So I'm not gonna be able to do all that. I just want to fix the head gasket. I'm definitely going to have to set the timing? I've never done that either, although I do have a timing gun. This is prolly not gonna go well. Any suggestions anyone?

camshaft timing

. . . So I'm not gonna be able to do all that. I just want to fix the head gasket. I'm definitely going to have to set the timing? I've never done that either, although I do have a timing gun. This is prolly not gonna go well. Any suggestions anyone?

A timing gun is of no use since the ignition timing is controlled by the PCM. The timing that has to be redone after replacing a head gasket is the camshaft timing. You need to understand how the camshaft timing works before you take apart your engine. If you don't time the camshafts correctly after reassembling the engine the pistons can strike the valves upon engine start and you'll be looking for a replacement engine. You may want to read some of my helpful threads to learn more about the SOHC V6 camshaft timing.

Thanks a ton StreetRod! I'm going to check those threads out, I really appreciate it

leaking thermostat housing?

. . . I'm fixing to have to replace my head gasket on the same truck. I've never done a head gasket, but I was quoted $2200 or so and I don't have that kind of money right now. I'm fairly nervous about tearing it apart. Truck doesn't over-heat but its been leaking anti-freeze for over a year, maybe 2. Now the check engine light is on and I think the valve cover gaskets are leaking or there is a air leak somewhere. . .

Head gasket leaks are not as common on the SOHC V6 as they are on the OHV V6. If your only symptom is loss of engine coolant then you may have a leaking thermostat housing which is common on the SOHC V6. You should confirm that your head gasket is leaking before expending the time and expense to replace your head gasket. When the thermostat housing leaks the coolant usually flows aft along the top of the engine block and then drips down the rear of the block. It may be difficult to detect from above but should be fairly easy from under the vehicle.

I wish it was that easy :D

I was driving one day(couple years ago) and the truck started running like crap, I made it home. Thermostat wasn't reading hot. Checked the radiator later and it was quite low on anti-freeze. I re-filled the radiator and drove it. Noticed puddle of anti-freeze under motor after each time I drove it so I keep re-filling the over-flow with anti-freeze. The only problem I've had is sometimes when I would stop at a gas station or something and turn it off for a few minutes, it would restart and barely run, choking, like it wasn't getting gas or something. I'd let it sit a few minutes and it would run well enough to continue going. Thermostat was never running hot though. I drained and flushed the radiator and cooling hoses etc. Replaced the thermostat. Still leaks anti-freeze but runs the same.

I took it to the local mechanic and told him I thought the head gasket was blown. He told me the water pump was not working and the leak was coming from the water pump. He replaced the water pump. Went home, still leaking the same anti-freeze puddle. Took it back to the mechanic and a different guy looked at it who said the head gasket on both sides were leaking pretty good, which is what I thought. He gave me a rough estimate of $2200, I gave him sad face. It hasn't done the choking thing after a short stop at the store or whatever in a long time. For some reason the thermostat inside the truck seems to warm up slowly, or stay about half way up rather then 3/4s up where it should be.

The housing for the thermostat is right up front there above the crankshaft and water pump is, I don't see any leaking from the front of the thermostat. Can it leak from further back then the housing where the large hose connects? There is anti-freeze leaking down both sides of the oil pan and dripping on the starter, etc. Looks like its coming from somewhere in-between the exhaust manifold and the valve cover, its hard to see in there.

not convinced

I'm not convinced that you have both head gaskets leaking. Exterior coolant leaks between the head and the block on the SOHC V6 are unusual - especially both heads and the block. The plastic thermostat housing shown below can split and leak or leak at the base of either sensor.
ThrmHsg1.jpg

The top of the block is inclined downward to the aft so leaking coolant from the housing flows aft in the valley between the heads and runs down the rear of the block.
Plate.jpg

When the transmission is attached the coolant can flow to the left onto the starter when the vehicle turns to the right and flow to the right when the vehicle turns to the left. It is very difficult to see what's happening when looking down at the engine because the hood is in the way among other items. If you remove the front wheels and the flexible inner liner you may be able to locate the source of the leaks.
LongBolt.jpg

ShrtBolt.jpg

The above will take some effort but I think it's worth it to actually find the source of the leak.

Great info man, I sure hope its not the head gasket. I'll take a closer look what you posted and see what I can find out. The plastic housing you posted looks somewhat different then mine i think, but I might be looking at the wrong spot. I''ll take some pictures and post them. I tried to reach my hands down around the exhaust manifold from under the hood and take a picture but still couldn't get any sight of where the leak is actually coming from. I also noticed on the rear side of the transmission pan it is wet with some kinda leak, small amount of wetness around the front of the transmission pan. Hoping its antifreeze just making its way all the way back there, I'll take a closer look at that as well. I really appreciate taking your own time to help

I read over your camshaft timing thread a couple times and learned more about crankshafts, jackshafts, camshafts through some other places as well. I still need to read through a few more times to get a better handle on it but I'm learnin

Ok, I was able to get some better pictures, hopefully this helps to find it.

Here is a link to the album of the pictures I got. http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r489/travsbengals/

I took a couple pictures of what I think is the thermostat housing, but mine is metal instead of plastic. Maybe I'm lookin in the wrong spot though, it doesn't appear to be leaking in that area. :( Here's a pic from the top side - http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r489/travsbengals/P1010001.jpg
Bottom side - http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r489/travsbengals/P1010002.jpg

I took off the underpinning on the passenger side and got some pictures in there. Mostly the leak is on the backside it looks like. You'll see one picture in there that's towards the front side, and it doesn't appear to be wet up there. I tried to get a couple pictures showing the lip where the valve cover gasket connects, it doesn't appear to be wet that high. :worried:

Sorry the pictures aren't the best, hope its enough to to get a better idea of where the leak is coming from. It does seem like to me its leaking from right below the spark plug and right above the exhaust manifold unfortunately

SOHC or OHV?

From the photos I suspect that you have the OHV engine instead of the SOHC that is listed on your avatar. Everything I've been telling you applies to the SOHC V6 and not the OHV. Check the 8th digit of your VIN. If an "E" then you have the SOHC. If an "X" then you have the OHV. It is fairly common for the OHV to blow head gaskets. Also, the OHV intake manifold contains engine coolant while the SOHC intake manifold does not. Replacing heads gaskets on the OHV is much simpler (also no special tool kit needed) than replacing them on the SOHC. I have no direct experience on the OHV so if that's what you have you'll need help from someone else or do a search on replacing OHV head gaskets.

I do have an x in the 8th digit! wow

For some reason I thought they only made the 4.0 in SOHC, I'm an idiot

Well, I'm glad its gonna be easier, but I lost a great teacher. Thanks a ton StreetRod, the world needs more people like you

So now I need to research the OHV engine. I won't have to bother with any timing?

Back