• Register Today It's free!

'97 explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L V6

TyHarris

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
hey yall. im new on this forum thing but i was wonderin if i could get some pointers. im used to cross-terrain racing a chevy super-mod pickup. but when the other driver of that vehicle tore it to **** in an irrigation ditch during an expo race, i went out and got my 4.0L V6 1997 ford explorer XLT 4x4 4dr. its been a good truck for me and has done almost everything ive asked of it... other than grow when i sprinkle water on it...... but... its to low. next week im moving from a p235/75R15 mich.ltx to a P255/70R16 mich.ltx tire. so that might help just a hair but just an extra 4 inches of ground clearance to get my guts outa the dirt would make a world of difference. i was thinkin about installing airbags but they are hard to find for my model and the harder to find, the more i pay for um. does anybody have any better ideas of how to lift a mostly stock '97 explorer 4"-6" outa the mud? or know where to get the best deal on airbags?

Thanks Yall,
Ty Harris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks man. i looked around there and got some good ideas. however on the downside i could not find a thread for my vehicle: a first gen. 1997 ford explorer xlt 4x4 4dr. whats the cheapest way to get an extra 4 inches of ground clearance?

The 97 is a 2gen and the cheapest and easiest way to get more ground clearance, id say, would be 33'' tires and a torsion twist and shackles. That'll give ya right around 3in of clearance.

ok. thanks a bunch man. ive done the TT on other vehicles so i figure it's about the same on this one. is there a certain place that has the best explorer shackles? whats the best deal around on um?

Warrior 153 shackles but i haven't done any shopping around yet. Will be at the end of the month though:)

Those lifts wont increase ground clearance. Just allow you to instal bigger tires for clearance. What I'd suggest is a SOA swap in the rear, maybe put worn out sport leafs in the back to make it drop a little. That will get some of the stuff up so its not hanging under the axle. Up front, not to much you can do with the stock suspension. Suspension lift will stress the cv joints but get the center up. Maybe modding the suspension arms to sit higher? If you got some time and a mill you can try alot.

Bigger tires are the only way to increase clearance under the axles but the frame is a huge hinderance. Everytime i get stuck its because im sitting on my frame. Putting on worn out springs is dangerous. I've snapped leafs on a b3000 on mild trails.

Bigger tires are the only way to get more clearance, but u bolts, shock mounts, ect will hang you up. The higher the lift, the more unstable/top heavy. So he's gonna have to deal with the frame getting hung up.

im completely ok with scratchin up the underside of this thing, im completely not ok with tearin off parts while im riden. ive plated all the important stuff but with a big impact it could easily just brake off and or crumple (not very good on things like fuel tanks and oil pans and drive shafts). so, the problem is not so much clearing axles but rather raising the frame and everything directly attached to it off the ground.

im completely ok with scratchin up the underside of this thing, im completely not ok with tearin off parts while im riden. ive plated all the important stuff but with a big impact it could easily just brake off and or crumple (not very good on things like fuel tanks and oil pans and drive shafts). so, the problem is not so much clearing axles but rather raising the frame and everything directly attached to it off the ground.
Go too high, and you are asking for trouble with the axle shafts in front. If you have to go off road in rough terrain, I would suggest getting a Jeep.

Sorry about the two posts. I had to go reset my tablet key board so it won't try to out guess what I want to type. What I meant about getting a Jeep, something like a CJ, or similiar type vehicle without independent front suspension, if you want to go high. Best 4x4 I ever owned was a 67 Scout, and I've owned quite a few over the years. Any short wheelbase, mid 70's 4x4 is better suited for rough country than any of these newer vehicles. IN MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Sorry about the two posts. I had to go reset my tablet key board so it won't try to out guess what I want to type. What I meant about getting a Jeep, something like a CJ, or similiar type vehicle without independent front suspension, if you want to go high. Best 4x4 I ever owned was a 67 Scout, and I've owned quite a few over the years. Any short wheelbase, mid 70's 4x4 is better suited for rough country than any of these newer vehicles. IN MY PERSONAL OPINION.

yeh man. i hear ya. problem is i own a handy-man company and use my explorer for work to and haven a work truck and a play truck just aint in the card right now so i gotta work with what i got.

Back