97 Upgrade - RCA out to factory Amp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Upgrade - RCA out to factory Amp?

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Currently have a 97 2nd Gen with the middle factory CD. Looking to replace the head unit with a double DIN unit but still use the factory amp. I found the wiring diagrams and references to connect the receiver "audio on" to the factory blue wire that controls the rear amp.

My question is regarding which head unit sources to use. I would think using the standard receiver speaker output would overdrive the factory amp. The receiver I am considering has std pre-amp RCA outputs. Should I use the receiver pre-amp sources or the receiver amp sources?

Feedback and Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regular amp sources. The factory amp treats them as normal.
I have it set up this way without any problems, even the volume levels are right.
No need to worry. :)

To save room on the board, i'll post here.
I just got a Pioneeer FH-X720BT with plans on using my factory amp with it, how would i go about that? I'm new to the audio side of things, but i'm not sure if the headunit alone could push 65 rms to every speaker.

And is it a good idea to use http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-5600-Wiring-Harness-Speaker/dp/B00029X1K0/ref=pd_cp_e_0 ?
I don't have the JBL system, but i do have the amp.

Exactly what I did with Mach/JBL system and factory amp. Piece 'o cake. You'll need the Metra wiring harness and the mounting kit for a double din unit. Search the site, lots of write-ups.

I want to make sure i order the right harness, i have the non-JBL stereo(AM-FM + Cassette, with auto-set button), but amplified like this
02med_factory_amp.jpg

I saw a write up with no pictures(moved or deleted) and it mentioned something about black plugs, and needing the 70-5600 Metra kit(this is what i saw on the back of my radio)
sizeimage.php?photoid=184706&.jpg

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread and if i'm being annoying, but i don't want to screw up the sound system.
If you need a picture of the radio i can get one.

Alright, i'll head over there today and pick one up, thanks for the help.

No problem.
Decent price, decent quality wiring, and it works great.

No problem.
Decent price, decent quality wiring, and it works great.

I agree, the Metra kits are the same thing, but more money, the only upside to them is that the antenna wire on some kits, is a little bit thicker, but other then that they are the same.

I agree, the Metra kits are the same thing, but more money, the only upside to them is that the antenna wire on some kits, is a little bit thicker, but other then that they are the same.

I've never had a problem with either one on any vehicle.

Only issue I had once was with a metra kit having a cracked connector, but they exchanged it very quickly. :)

I bought the Scoche kit, and it didn't work, it'd power the HU, but no sound.
Only one side of the harness connected, but not the other harness. Frustrated i hit up the local Best Buy, paid 20 bucks, wired it up in their parking lot, and headed home to cut up the bezel and tidy up the harness.

I could have ordered a kit for 5 bucks with free shipping, but it'd take two days, and i'm impatient.
I'll probably post a picture up tomorrow.

Really? Schoche has 2 kits for Ford trucks. I know one has 4 wiring harnesses on it, and you pick the ones you need. And I have the exact same plugs as you. Hmm, you might've grabbed the wrong one. :p:

I bought one with two kits, 4 plugs(2 plugs per kit)
I probably bought the wrong one, but the back of the package said it would work, and something about not working with premium sound.
Oh well, i got the headunit, amp, and speakers to work, so that's all that matters.

Back