98 b3000 v8awd swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 b3000 v8awd swap?

Shang

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mazda b3000
Alright I have a 98 Mazda B3000 I bought a 2000 Explorer all wheel drive V8 looking to swap the bodies or do a complete undercarriage swap for the all-wheel-drive has anyone done this before the only problem that I have run into before even attempting any of this is the distance between Center to Center on the wheels front to back I am guessing I will probably be better off just swapping new front ends out the transfer case transmission and motor and rear end

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are plenty of V8 powered Ranger/Mazda B's out there. It's a great swap with few real challenges.

In your case, PATS from the Explorer, a working speed signal and a high pressure fuel system will all need to be solved.

If your Mazda has the Ford 8.8" rear diff, I'd still suggest using the Explorer's for it's disk brakes and heavier axle shafts, but if the ratios are different, you'd need the matching Expo diff up front too.

Essentially everything else will bolt into place and there are only a handfull of wiring changes needed.

A high pressure fuel system can be lifted from a later Ranger/Bxxxx, the doner Expo will have the PATS, diff and axle hardware leaving the speed signal which in the Expo is part of the ABS system and like PATS, can be grafted into the pickup.

Expo cats will fit but the exhaust after the cats will need to be custom.

You might need a 3/8" hydraulic compression union to marry the very bottom of the Mazda power steering hose to all but the very bottom of the Expo hose.

Having the wiring diagrams from both vehicles will really help solve the wiring issues.

But, all I can say is DO IT!!!!!!! It's worth the effort!!!!!

Yeah, plenty of people have dropped a V8 in a Ranger, but I haven't heard of the awd part being done. It sounds like a GREAT idea!

Welcome to the forum!

Standard or exted cab? 2wd coil spring, 2wd torsion bar or 4wd B3000? An extended cab ranger is about 10" longer than an explorer axle to axle. I never measured a standard cab but assume its pretty close. Also the explorer frame rails are 6" wider aprart than the ranger in the center.

I have v8 explorer running gear in my 01 ranger 4x4, it bolts right in.

Thanks for the replies yes I'm looking forward to this project be my first time doing anything of this sort I had decided on trying to do the all-wheel drive in the B3000 2 wheel drive extended cab because I haven't seen it in any of the forums being done

It being a extended cab it is 13 inches longer then they Expedition from Center to Center on the wheels front to back kind of figured that it was a little wider but did not measure thanks for the info

Was thinking maybe I could still set the whole Mazda body on the Explorer frame with a few modifications 2 volt the body to the Explorer frame just something I am looking to at this time

More than likely though I will end up switching out the whole drivetrain on to the Mazda Frame and Body seems as it may be a simpler job

I am thinking it is coil Spring in the front on the Mazda

If the Mazda is a coil spring, then yes, a couple things change.

To move to 4WD/AWD, the frame will need to be swapped out.

If kept RWD, you'll need custom engine mounting plates - can be made DIY with some flat 5/16 or 3/8 steel plate. And to add more "fun" the left front coil must come out to remove the spacer under the left engine mount.

If the Mazda is a coil spring, then yes, a couple things change.

To move to 4WD/AWD, the frame will need to be swapped out.

If kept RWD, you'll need custom engine mounting plates - can be made DIY with some flat 5/16 or 3/8 steel plate. And to add more "fun" the left front coil must come out to remove the spacer under the left engine mount.

Yea I was just out looking at the mazda engine mounts and seen the spacer. Looks as if I am gonna go with rwd.

well after reading through the forums and weighing in on my options I have decided to not do the awd, Yeah it would be a awesome project, I think I will stick with my original plan of dropping the 302 into the Mazda.

Started on removing the 5.0 today.

I am looking at a mild cam somewhere around 540 lift which from what i have read this motor already has a .450 lift.
dual plane air gap intake and a 750cfm carb. attached to a t5 trans.

i will post pics soon. and again thank you all for the replies. I am sure i will post with more questions soon.

Yeah, plenty of people have dropped a V8 in a Ranger, but I haven't heard of the awd part being done. It sounds like a GREAT idea!
==================
My 98 5.0L 4x4 was finished the middle of July 2016 and is a BLAST to drive!
Yb1cRzU.png

KxyYN6V.png

I bought a 00 Explorer 5.0L AWD and swapped the drivetrain into a 98 4x4 chassis with 3.73 gearing, the Expo was 3.55's. I plan to go full AWD this summer, as the PVH system isn't working. So I removed the lines and did the hub mod that allows me to lock it in or out for now.

==================
My 98 5.0L 4x4 was finished the middle of July 2016 and is a BLAST to drive!
Yb1cRzU.png

KxyYN6V.png

I bought a 00 Explorer 5.0L AWD and swapped the drivetrain into a 98 4x4 chassis with 3.73 gearing, the Expo was 3.55's. I plan to go full AWD this summer, as the PVH system isn't working. So I removed the lines and did the hub mod that allows me to lock it in or out for now.
Nice...... hopefully I will be able to get started on mine soon.

Back