98 Eddie Bauer Suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Eddie Bauer Suspension

98andrunningreat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
Ok...I replaced the air suspension on my 98 Eddie Bauer Explorer with regular gas shocks...I've found this to be a bad idea...my front tires tip in at the top (quite a camber issue)....when changing from air to gas shocks, is there a special kind I should have bought (front coil overs?)...front of explorer is lower than it was...I added an extra leaf spring in the back and this seems fine.....HELP WITH FRONT PLEASE!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and the front is adjustable with a bolt under the back of each torsion bar, under the front seat area. Search for "lowering" and "adjuster bolts". You do need an alignment.

Do you have an error message about the ARC suspension? Good luck

search for "Torsion Bar 101"

Thanks for your help....I've located the instructions on adjusting the torsion bar....I'll try this asap...sounds like it will help my problem....as you can tell, I'm not familiar with the explorer suspension system....where are the front coils?...that's what I was looking for....are they not needed with the torsion bars/sway bar etc?

I was going to take it in for an alignment anyway due to just replacing the steering rack....will they adjust the torsion bars to bring it into alignment or should I adjust the torsion bars ahead of time to raise it back up a bit...I'm expecting I need to raise it approx. an inch to get it back to where it was.

they shouldnt adjust them, alot of guys here do a 2" TT for a small suspension lift then have it aligned(you need to), the front does't have coils the torsion bars are the "springs."

Those torsion bar adjusters are the height, set the height where you want it before the alignment. Lift the truck off of the front tires to turn those bolts in, the weight of the truck is resisting that turning. Going out you do not need to lift the truck up.

Take care in driving with the alignment off so much, drive slow to the shop. Don't adjust them after the alignment, those bolts ruin the alignment each time. Be sure that you like the height before you go. Good luck,

Thanks to everyone for the response. I turned the torsion bar adjusters in and raised the front by about 1.5". Camber looks good. Time for an alignment.

To CDW6212R...yes I get an error message on the ARC...would like to get rid of it permanently but for now I just reset it if it bothers me. That clears it each time until I shut it off and start it again.

Okay then, please try this and let us know if it takes care of it; unplug the ARC module connectors. Without the module connected I think that all of the error messages should cease. Others have asked and then never come back to say what they did. Most just pull the fuses and turn the switch off, but that still leaves the error messages.

The ARC module is located right next to the radio, in the dash. Remove the radio and bezel, then you can see the module. The ARC module has two connectors going into the top of it. Unplug those and it should stop the messages, just put the radio back in. Regards,

Back