Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

98 Ex - bracket above spare wheel

Discussion in 'UK Explorer Owners Forum' started by kellen, September 7, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. kellen

kellen New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Explorer
      Hi guys. My 98 Ex is still going strong. I have owned it since circa 18 months old and it has been soooo reliable......seriously! 141K miles now.

Cars are quite rare now. Have you checked out how many left.co.uk? 1201licensed and 601 sorn as of the first quarter of 2015. I saw a red one (r eg) on the M25 Saturday evening...hello if you are reading......I was the Pacific green 98 on an S plate.

I have noticed that rust is starting to get a hold though. I have just replaced the rear suspension hangers....reasonable price from Rock Auto but the postage is painful. I have also replaced the gas struts on the hood.....no need for the broom handle now.:D

Whilst dealing with rusty bits I have noticed that the bracket above the spare wheel is very crusty. I dropped the spare wheel intending to weld it, but it is too far gone. It is just a bolt on...three or four bolts. Is the panel/ bracket available and does anybody know its name? Does it hold the air suspension compressor?. Are they available from the US.....or does anybody have a good condition used one they will sell me? My concern is that any on UK breakers are likely to be just as rusty as mine. Have spent the last hour on the forum and google looking for any posts re this panel/ bracket but cannot find anything....probably 'cos I don't have the right name for the bracket.

Many thanks.

Neil

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Purch1977

Purch1977 Member

City, State:
      Nottingham
      2000 explorer
      Hi! Don't know what it's called but to be honest I would get some plate and fabricate one yourself as most of these beasts the UK weather isn't kind to this American metal!
      I will have a look at mine ( currently the spare is down as I am wax oiling undersealing the rear

4. 96firephoenix

96firephoenix Active Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      2002 Ford Explorer XLT
    5. kellen

kellen New Member

98 Explorer
      Thanks Guys

Hi Firephoenix.....it isn't that bit. It is the pressed steel bracket which is attached to the floor and sits above the spare wheel....u can only really see it when you lower the spare on its wire. I tried attaching a picture but have failed so far. I guess our super salty roads in the UK really don't help.

I may end up fabricating something....but it is only a smallish pressing and I suspect cheap to buy if available.

Cheers

Neil

6. Purch1977

Purch1977 Member

City, State:
      Nottingham
      2000 explorer
      I would assume anything ford know how to charge!! Lol

7. kellen

kellen New Member

98 Explorer
      Ha true.....but you don't buy from Ford. Would be after market...someone like Rock Auto.

:D

8. Purch1977

Purch1977 Member

City, State:
      Nottingham
      2000 explorer
      Now I have a ford I am going to invest In a welder and start fabricating my own parts!

9. albeegood

albeegood New Member

City, State:
      New Jersey
      98 Explorer Sport 4x4
      Does anyone know what those canisters on the bracket is? It looked like they have some fuel lines connected to it. Thx.