98 Explorer suddenly won't start - doesn't fire | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer suddenly won't start - doesn't fire

Hi, I did research this in the manual, there is bus communication (SCP bus) between the PATS module and PCM.. I checked that neither bus line was grounded.. thanks for the suggestions...

Yea, the code stuff is good for every one. You are definitely heading somewhere... hopefully down the right track. Yes if the light goes on and stays solid (check engine), then powering and "base sanity" of the PCM is good. I would give my suggestion about the heating of the connector areas a try to see if it changes the symptoms a bit. I don't know much about the signalling between the PCM and theft module but it is probably simple as in the theft module throws on a ground and the PCM "replies" with a voltage.... probably not much more than that but I don't know and my 96 doesn't have the option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, just the transceiver. The PATS module is behind the passenger airbag. But they shouldn't have, in the notes from Ford it says that code 1 6 CANNOT (and it is in all caps in the Ford info) be the transceiver. So the locksmith gave me part of my money back after I pointed that out...

Your 95 cannot have a PATS issue like this one. Your 95 does not have the PATS system.

Tuning in to this one out of curiosity... It definitely sounds like either a communication issue, or wiring problem... Did they replace just the PATS transceiver? I would assume so, because IIRC, the PATS control module is actually integrated into the instrument cluster...

Update: Now after tow number three, it is back at another Ford Dealer... This time I checked to make sure it wouldn't start after it got there... :rolleyes:

Your 95 cannot have a PATS issue like this one. Your 95 does not have the PATS system.

Tuning in to this one out of curiosity... It definitely sounds like either a communication issue, or wiring problem... Did they replace just the PATS transceiver? I would assume so, because IIRC, the PATS control module is actually integrated into the instrument cluster...

Not sure where you got "95"... it says its a 98.

Anyways, hopefully the dealer will be "kind" on this.... sounds like a PCM replacement which they will probably "ream" you for. good luck

Anyways, hopefully the dealer will be "kind" on this.... sounds like a PCM replacement which they will probably "ream" you for. good luck

I quoted LHSBearcat who, according to his profile info, has a 95. He stated that the problem was ust like his and it was the PCM relay. I was clarifying that the problem CAN't be just like his because his doesn't have PATS like the OP's '98 model does.

Clear as mud? My work is done here. ;)

Dealer confirmed it was the PATS module.. Second dealer wants $414 total to fix. 3 hours labor!!!

First dealer wanted $270 including only 1.5hr labor.

Called the second dealer, we'll see if they can come down on the price any.

Update, dealer came down $90 in their price to replace the PATS module, now $320 total. I'm glad I pushed them on the price!

I hope this is the end of this story from my side!!!

Thank-you to all who contributed, I really appreciated the support on this nasty one!!!

Shouldn't be a big job... IIRC, it was another vehicle that had it integrated in...

Yeah, not much involved in the swap, it's the programming that you'd have to take it back for anyways.... Pop the pass airbag out, and the module is right there in the upper corner. Hopefully this will fix the issue for you. Good luck!

Update, dealer came down $90 in their price to replace the PATS module, now $320 total. I'm glad I pushed them on the price!

I hope this is the end of this story from my side!!!

Thank-you to all who contributed, I really appreciated the support on this nasty one!!!
did this fix your problem?

yes, it did.

Thanks for this very informative thread. I have a 2001 Explorer doing exactly the same thing.

glad it is useful.. Are you also getting a code 1-6 from the anti-theft light?

Willy,

Haven't tried pulling codes, my tool has been borrowed and not yet returned. Anyway, yes the Theft light is on when trying to start. The problem is both when hot or cold. usually a few minutes later it starts just fine. But often when trying to start, the engine feels like it is really shaking, not just turning over. I would pull the key out, sometimes I would also stab the gas pedal once or twice and try again. Often it would start and be fine for some time.

Is this change something that requires reprogramming or is it a simple plug and play? I am not too intimidated when it comes to repairng my vehicles; but, I don't want to waste a whole day on it either. Thanks again for your help!

Chuck

that sounds like a different issue...

Is the anti-theft light blinking rapidly (like 4 times a second) or is it behaving normally?

If it is blinking rapidly, you can get the code to tell you why, and you don't need any tool. You just need to wait a minute or so, then the anti-theft light will stop blinking rapidly and start to blink a code. Mine was 1-6 which was one blink followed by a pause, then 6 blinks. Earlier in the thread I believe I posted a link to a sticky thread on the PATS module that has the key of what all the codes mean...

I have a code P1260

I have 3 keys that allways worked.

My theft light flashes as normal and does not flash any codes when kept in start.

Back