98 expo 5.0 in 02 ranger | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 expo 5.0 in 02 ranger

No idle issues. Only issues are when I try to drive it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so I set the Dakota digital to h-l Sig to low and got my trans to shift. I think my transmission either a: still isn't shifting right or b: transmission is shot bc it will shift if I let off throttle a little bit but truck doesn't have any pulling power after 1st gear. Rpms will shoot up to 4000-4500 but truck really isn't gaining any speed. The torque converter is brand new and 2400 stall instead of factory 1700. I'm so ready to give up on this truck.

Which output are you using? H-L on output 2 is 1/32 of the source which would be around 2400 ppm. I think it can multiply the signal upto 4x.

I'm using output 3. I tried h-h output 1 & 2. My paperwork it came with doesn't give me anything else for h-h outputs. I tried signal set to low and high. Then I tried h-l output 2, 3 signal low and high. All of this was with pu off. Their tech support guy told me to try turning pu to on with h-l and sig set to low.

Ok I see now it says output 3 of h-h is 1/2 of out 1

This is what the guy from tech support told me to try

If using an ABS sensor, they tend to be a two wire sensor, creating a high speed sine wave.

Give the SGI-5E ignition power and ground.

The two wires from the ABS sensor should go to SENSOR GND and SIGNAL IN, (polarity doesn’t matter).
“OUT” should be set to “H-L”

“CAL” = “1.00”

“IN” / “SIG” = “lo” / “P-U” = “on”

OUT3 to one of the two wires going to the ECM or speedometer. Wires can be swapped, but while one is used and other is left unused.

Make sure the SGI-5E has a flashing dot when the tires are in motion.

Try the test mode with the ECM or speed wire in OUT1, this will let you know what the output should be.
g

What did you do with the ABS wiring, what ABS module are you using, and how is the VSS routed? The VSS signal is the biggest problem when swapping a 98-01 Explorer PCM system into a non-Explorer. The VSS is expected to go from the diff/ABS sensor, to the Explorer ABS module, and then to the PCM and speedometer....

I don't know what the Dakota Digital wiring and device is about that you are using. But the 98-01 PCM is not expecting a direct VSS signal, to run the transmission. As I said before, it is expecting a conditioned VSS signal, from the 98-01 Explorer ABS module. That is very important to the proper functioning of the 4R70W.

If what you are doing accomplishes the same thing, then great. If it isn't, I'd reroute the VSS through the proper ABS module, to the PCM.

I agree

What size tires do you have? I'd like to calculate tire rotation per mile. The signal source you are using, the gray/black wire is a square wave. Most abs sensors at the wheels are what the support guy is talking about. If you set the unit to H-L and use output 4 which is 1/32 of the source, the cal will probably be between 3.5 and 4.

I'm running a 37x12.5x16.5 but it prob measures 36inches.

I'm running a 37x12.5x16.5 but it prob measures 36inches. They keeptelling me bc it's two wire sensor it's a sine wave but like y'all are saying and every other forum I've read says it's a square wave too

I'm running a 37x12.5x16.5 but it prob measures 36inches. They keeptelling me bc it's two wire sensor it's a sine wave but like y'all are saying and every other forum I've read says it's a square wave too
Assuming the tire is new as a starting point, 562 rotations per mile. 108x562 =60696 ppm. Your tire diameter is large enough to use H-H on output 4. Half of 60696 is 30348 and the cal of -3.8 will get you 7986 ppm.

Awesome. I'll try that tomorrow before work. Josh I appreciate your help alot. Maybe that will get it going. Do you think I should leave the sig set to low and pu off or should I change the pu to on?

Sig hi, when it is set to low it will divide the ppm source signal by 16, 32 or 64 based on the output used. The pu is for the pullup resistor, I'd leave it off to start with. The purpose of the pu is if you have a weak signal from the source sensor it can correct it and make it stronger.

Thanks. I appreciate it ill try that.

I haven't had a chance yet to try those setting but I will within the next couple of days and respond back

Can anyone tell me what the values for the epc voltage, iac %, and g/s for maf should be? I've looked and can't find these values. I read these with snap on scan tool. Thanks

Back