Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even if you guys decide to do the Bronco box that sits outside the frame. You can pull the tight ratio piston and worm drive out of the newer F150 box and slides right inside the 78-79 Bronco box. Ford has never really changed the box. The Crown Vics still use the same box. The pitman arm just faces the other way.

If you swap the worm drive it will make the pitman arm turn the opposite way. I did it to mine so I could have a rear facing pitman arm. If I find the link for it I'll post it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

If you swap the worm drive it will make the pitman arm turn the opposite way. I did it to mine so I could have a rear facing pitman arm. If I find the link for it I'll post it.

78-79 Bronco steering box/gear.
79strgboxnshft.jpg

80-96 F150/Bronco steering box/gear.
42122801.gif

Both boxes are forward facing. So the only way you would get it to reverse is to use a car piston/worm drive or any other rear facing pitman arm setup box.

If you look at the diagrams I posted you will see the shaft for the pitman arm falls on pass. side of the piston. The diagram is wrong for the Bronco box.

Here is pic of a Bronco box the shaft falls on drivers side of the piston which means when you swap guts you will get a reverse steer. Sorry pic I saw made me think they were the same. But you are right it would reverse it since the shaft falls on the opposite side of the piston.

So had fun today hit Wheeler Lake trail. I managed to break a mirror, lost a passenger side coil twice, hydro cylinder came loose from the heim and fell out(LOL easy fix but sucked trying to steer without it), and lastly having tranny issues. The tranny was losing pressure when I would try to climb. The fluid was barely on the dipstick so hoping just need add a little ATF.

LOL if you look at these pics this is one of the times I lose a coil. Time for some coil retainers. :D
710.jpg

709.jpg

Looks like you just need limit straps. You don't want to be over extending the shock either. Looks really good though!

Shocks are the Monster Rancho 9000s. Guy at Rancho said they built dampeners in them so they can fully extend with no damage. Plus Lifetime Warranty. I will just keep hanging off them. LOL Going to put coil retainer on the axle end of the coil. And then extend the upper part so I don't have to worry about them popping out again. Ranger coils were not as nice as the Jeep coils on the trail. But still did good.

Nice is it a finned version to? Extend the trans fliud pick up a little farther into the pan?

Yeah going to try and extend the pickup towards the back that way when I start to climb the big rocks I won't run out of fluid. Heading to Holy Cross next Thurs. I might give Cleavland rock a shot if I am feeling good about it. Just don't want the tranny to run dry half way up the rock that could be bad. :rolleyes:

Here is the one I ordered. It was biggest one I could find plus a port to hook up a trans temp sensor.
mag-hytec-transmission-pan-ford-f-150-expedition.jpg

Looks good. Ive had mine at some wicked angles in Moab and today at Kelly Flats, climing heart attack hill and never once had the trans hickup at all. ? Missed out BTW was really fun day wheeling. Did every obstical except the chutes and no chance in hell we where getting through that. You could but there would be a high chance of body damage mainly left rear quarter glass. But, locker would have made today wicked easy! Loose dirt everywhere.

Looks good. Ive had mine at some wicked angles in Moab and today at Kelly Flats, climing heart attack hill and never once had the trans hickup at all. ? Missed out BTW was really fun day wheeling. Did every obstical except the chutes and no chance in hell we where getting through that. You could but there would be a high chance of body damage mainly left rear quarter glass. But, locker would have made today wicked easy! Loose dirt everywhere.
LOL sorry I missed it. I worked until 8pm. Shop is pretty busy right now so I have to make hay while the sun is shining. Only time I loose power is when the tranny gets hot and I start to climb a seriously steep rock. I think I was low a quart or so on fluid too. The trans in this thing has been neglected so I might have to replace it if I keep having issues.

Brown Santa stopped by today...

Look how deep this monster is!!!!
IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

See the trans temp port in the front.
IMAG0168.jpg

So pretty I don't want to put it on. :D

Built in O ring. Never have to buy a gasket again!
IMAG0170.jpg

With this pan on the trans has capacity of 12 quarts!

Back