Completed Project - 98 Mountaineer SAS... | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project 98 Mountaineer SAS...

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Project Merc...

New here. Big time Ford guy but I have been building Jeeps last few years. Having two growing boys I need something bigger then my Wrangler. And my XJ is kinda rough to wheel when you sit in it for 8 hours of off road action. So was looking for something a little more plush. Grand Cherokee are nice but Uni body and there V8 options suck since there is no aftermarket for them. Having a couple Fox Body Mustangs I am already familiar with the 5.0. I worked out a deal on 98 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 should be picking it up Tues. I can't wait!!:D

I will post pics after I pick it up. I did SAS swap in a Diesel Jeep Liberty for a friend so already have practice. Plan on using XJ Dana 30 to start and upgrade to 44 at a later date. I welcome any advice and things I should avoid. I have Miller Plasma Cutter, Miller 212 Mig, JD2 tube bender, and garage full of tools so this will be a fun challenge.

Pictures of my Mustangs...
CIMG0389.jpg

Captured2005-11-200001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found another case that Ford used that was pretty tough the BW1356 used from the mid 80s up to the mid 90s. It has a fixed yoke for the rear shaft. Now I just need measure one. Most of the threads guys are talking about think they are great. I am real close to saying screw and ordering an atlas. LOL

Once I get my new transfer case I will have some parts for sale. 2-BW4406 tcases(one for parts) and Expedition driveshaft. $300 for everything.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

My wife gave me her blessing for me to get this...

mini_box_front.jpg

3 speed STaK going to get the 5.22:1, 2.97:1, and 1:1 setup. I can't wait. Going call them this next week and find out how much it is going to set me back. But looks like around $2600.

Oh my! :eek:

We were having a t-case convo today while we were taking a break wheeling, and your 4406 issues came up. Another person told the same story as yours about it. He ended up going Atlas...lol

Whats the difference in the Stak compared to the Atlas?

Midrange gear?

Edit: I just did a quick search using ---STaK vs Atlas. Lots and lots of threads across many boards on this subject. Seems the atlas uses synchros and can shift on the fly from low to high, but STaK does not run synchros, so no shift on the fly. Other than a few leaks in time mentioned on the STaK mini, most seem to like it, and those that want an extra gear go with the Atlas 4. There was some mentioning of customer service. Atlas won that hands down.

Oh my! :eek:

We were having a t-case convo today while we were taking a break wheeling, and your 4406 issues came up. Another person told the same story as yours about it. He ended up going Atlas...lol

Whats the difference in the Stak compared to the Atlas?

Midrange gear?

They are pretty much the same strength but for 300 bucks more I get 3 speed STaK over 2 speed atlas. There are going to be times I will want to be in 5.22 and times the 2.97 will be perfect for cruising through the easy stuff.
I told my buddy about my problems and he said time for an Atlas or STaK. I had forgot about the STaK so when I started checking and realized what you got for a little more I figured it was a no brainer. Plus the Mini STaK is smaller then Atlas. I will have 2 low front and rear. Can't wait!

That's awesome, any worries of the extra torque on the d30?

I should have it in next week. I already have a full weekend otherwise I would do it this weekend. I need to pick up a U joint 2-3050 it goes from 1330 to 1350 conversion will let me use the stock drive shaft from the old BW4404 AWD case.

I figured out the shift pattern.
Left stick controls front wheel forward is high, center is neutral, then low.
Middle stick low ranges forward for 2.97, center is neutral, then 5.22
Right stick control rear wheel forward is high, center in neutral, then low.
So now I can control front and rear independently. :D

So can you theoretically have front high and rear in low or vis versa? That 2.97 is still a little lower than the 4406. And that 5.22 will be fun!!!

So can you theoretically have front high and rear in low or vis versa? That 2.97 is still a little lower than the 4406. And that 5.22 will be fun!!!

No there is safety built in so you can't put the front in low and rear in high or vice versa.

Nice good feature. Good you can use the factory AWD shaft that will save some money, keep your spacer when you have it off let me know and ill send you some money.

Here is the BW4404 case that came out of the Merc next to the STaK. The 4404 looks little longer then the STaK so I might be out of the luck on the rear shaft but we will see.

IMAG0348.jpg

Today...
IMAG0357.jpg

I had to cut inch off the transmission output shaft to get the STaK to mate tightly.
IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

IMAG0359.jpg

Expedition shaft left, 3rd Gen Explorer middle, and stock right.
IMAG0364.jpg

3rd Gen fit like a glove.
IMAG0363.jpg

Had to cut a little off the gas tank support.
IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

Drives good. The STaK is little noisy but not to bad. Might be cause I do not have a floor boot yet. The low range is awesome. I can barely keep it from moving in 5.22 low range it wants take off. LOL

Back