99 4.0 SOHC Struggle to start/immediately dies | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 4.0 SOHC Struggle to start/immediately dies

GTOTTY

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport XLT
Hey guys, I have a 99 sport, auto with the 4.0 sohc with 166k. particularly when it's starting for the first time of the day or if it's been sitting it will turn over multiple times with out starting, if it does start it will run extremely rough at about 500 rpm for 5 seconds then die. key off and back on to start and it goes off with out an issue. I've read a few threads that suggest IAC operation but the long crank times make me think its a camshaft/crankshaft sensor issue but I do not have any CEls. Thanks guys any info would be super helpful and appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried cycling the key to ON and OFF several times to "prime the pump" before trying to start it to see if that makes a difference? If it does, I'd say you might be looking at a fuel pump replacement in the near future.

Have you tried cycling the key to ON and OFF several times to "prime the pump" before trying to start it to see if that makes a difference? If it does, I'd say you might be looking at a fuel pump replacement in the near future.
Have not, but I'll try that, that would make sense since it'll start and run just fine the second time around.

I suggest that one test there Crankshaft Position Sensor and there IAC Valve (Hence IAC needs about 10 OHMs to be in good condition, anything lower replace it), I also suggests that you clean your throttlebody, and IAC Valve (Make sure to hold the two ports towards the ground, and do not allow electronic cleaner to drain towards stepper motor, and allow to dry for a few before bolting back on) to ensure you have proper flow of air, lastly you may have to replace your fuel pump within gas tank as its nearing the end of it's lifespan

Will do, thanks

Back