Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

99 4.0 SOHC Struggle to start/immediately dies

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by GTOTTY, February 9, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. GTOTTY

GTOTTY New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, Georgia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99 Explorer Sport XLT
      Hey guys, I have a 99 sport, auto with the 4.0 sohc with 166k. particularly when it's starting for the first time of the day or if it's been sitting it will turn over multiple times with out starting, if it does start it will run extremely rough at about 500 rpm for 5 seconds then die. key off and back on to start and it goes off with out an issue. I've read a few threads that suggest IAC operation but the long crank times make me think its a camshaft/crankshaft sensor issue but I do not have any CEls. Thanks guys any info would be super helpful and appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. XLTrunner

XLTrunner Active Member

City, State:
      MN
      1998 Explorer XLT 4.0SOHC
      Have you tried cycling the key to ON and OFF several times to "prime the pump" before trying to start it to see if that makes a difference? If it does, I'd say you might be looking at a fuel pump replacement in the near future.

4. GTOTTY

GTOTTY New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, Georgia
      99 Explorer Sport XLT
      Have not, but I'll try that, that would make sense since it'll start and run just fine the second time around.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    5. SouthernJames

SouthernJames New Member

City, State:
      Inwood NY
      1999 Ford Explorer XLT
      I suggest that one test there Crankshaft Position Sensor and there IAC Valve (Hence IAC needs about 10 OHMs to be in good condition, anything lower replace it), I also suggests that you clean your throttlebody, and IAC Valve (Make sure to hold the two ports towards the ground, and do not allow electronic cleaner to drain towards stepper motor, and allow to dry for a few before bolting back on) to ensure you have proper flow of air, lastly you may have to replace your fuel pump within gas tank as its nearing the end of it's lifespan

6. GTOTTY

GTOTTY New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, Georgia
      99 Explorer Sport XLT
      Will do, thanks