Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

99 5.0 Died, won't crank.

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by johnny5c, February 7, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. johnny5c

johnny5c New Member

City, State:
      Stillwater, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Sport
      My wife's 99' Eddie Bauer suddenly died yesterday when she was turning around in the driveway and won't turn over. When you go to try and start it one of three things will happen; just the starter relay clicks, the starter relay and the solenoid click, or the starter actually engages for less than a second. If it just wouldn't crank I would assume it's a bad starter or solenoid but the fact that it died like you turned the ignition off has me stumped.

What I've tried,

Battery shows 14+ volts on a multimeter.
      No trouble codes showing on scanner.
      Swapped starter relay with blower relay.
      Checked all the fuses.
      Tried starting in both park and neutral.
      Turned engine over with a ratchet.

I've been doing a lot of reading and the one thing that seems like it would cause both the engine killing and not cranking is a bad ignition switch but just want to see if anyone has any other advice. Thank you in advance for any help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. johnny5c

johnny5c New Member

City, State:
      Stillwater, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Sport
      Update: Ran a wire from the small terminal on the solenoid to the positive pole on the battery and it still just clicks so going to pull the starter tonight. Still doesn't explain why it died though.