99 EB w/Audiophile-CD6 upgrade(and XM radio)- HELP! CobraJeff? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 EB w/Audiophile-CD6 upgrade(and XM radio)- HELP! CobraJeff?

gh67

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0-sold;06 Limited v8
First off, hello all....I've been surfing and researching on this forum for a while but this is my first post.

As many of you have experienced...my dual media's display went to crap a while back ....thankfully I had already set presets (haha!). I took the module out and cleaned it and re-soldered but the fix only lasted a few weeks.

I'd like to upgrade to a audiophile cd6 to work with my existing steering wheel controls, rear audio, and sub (yep, cake and eat it). I thought I had found a few different spring clip/worldplug/audiophile cd6's out there that would plug right in....until I read a post in the below link by CobraJeff. I didn't realize (though makes sense looking back) that the equalizer settings were different per vehicle. :banghead:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88597

I had heard that a DSP button=audiophile. Some of the models that I was looking at were:
3L2T-18C815-BB
3L8T-18C815-GA

1. Does a radio exist (oem or aftermarket) that will plug-n-play and work in my system....oh ya, and sound "ok" in an explorer 4dr? I assuming there is no way to "hack" the equalizer settings on a non-explorer radio. If no springplug, can I modify a new style to fit?

2. If no, what's the best way to professionally fix my current radio's display? Can I just buy a new/improved display module and install it myself?

3. And finally, in either scenario, what is the best way to give me Aux-In for a future Skyfi 2 install. Pie? Blitzsafe? If possible, a part number would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help! Sorry for the long "1st post"...can you tell that I've been thinking about it for a while?

cheers

The 3L2T-18C815-BB radio is for a 4-door Explorer Sport Trac - it is probably about the closest match to what you are looking for. Although the EQ is probably slightly different due to the difference in interior volume, it should be "close enough".

The 3L8T-18C815-GA radio is not in my database - it must have been released after I retired. I'd guess it was for a Ford Escape, so it should be fairly close in EQ, too.

The EQ in the Ford radio IS software programmable, however, very few of the Ford Repair Centers have the tools to revise them. Essentially, it cannot be "reprogrammed" in the field.

I have converted older model Ford radios from "bolt-in" to "spring-clip", but not one of the newer ones. It is probably doable, if you have the right parts.

If you buy a used CDX6 radio, you want to have it shipped to you with the shipping bracket intact. The mechanism is very fragile, and will likely be damaged if shipped without the Ford shipping bracket.

regards,

cobrajeff

Completely off topic!!

Nice to see a post from you cobra! Don't be such a stranger! :D

Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated. I'll be on the lookout for either of those models....seen them around but folks want top dollar. Hoping that I won't be able to tell too much of a difference from the 4door EQ. I'll definitely make sure that they ship it with the bracket, thanks for the info.

Back