'99 Explorer Sport P0340 problem! help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Explorer Sport P0340 problem! help!

yamatallica

Reaction score
City, State
Midland, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
hey y'all, I recently acquired a 1999 Explorer sport with 140,000 miles from a buddy who's been having trouble with the cam sensor code (4.0L SOHC).....I've replaced the sensor (twice), fuel pump and filter (just because), alternator, coil pack and ECU to no avail.

Here are the symptoms: I can clear the code out, drive it for 5-10 miles with no problems at all. while driving, the check engine light flickers on and off at different brightnesses and the car dies. i normally can limp it back home, starting it, driving it for a hundred yards or so at a time between engine stalls. after it sits overnight, the process can be repeated without any change. as long as the CEL is flickering, my scanner will not connect with the OBDII system. when it is solid, it shows the P0340 code every time. any suggestions on what to do next?

any leads whatsoever will be greatly appreciated! I don't want to set this explorer on fire! =-)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. If not, give it a try, it works in conjunction with the Camshaft position sensor. Here are a few other things to check as well.

INTERMITTENT CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
INTERMITTENT CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROU
5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED GROUND
CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
CMP SIGNAL SHORTED TO 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
PCM - 5 VOLT SUPPLY
PCM - CMP SIGNAL

Yep. Change them both.

This is from obd-codes.com

Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Causes

A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

* a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
* the camshaft position sensor may have failed
* the PCM may have failed
* there exists an open circuit
* the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Possible Solutions

With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

* Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
* Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
* Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
* Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
* Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
* Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
* Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

where exactly is the crankshaft position sensor located? and what is a reliable brand of part to go with? I see several different parts/part numbers on the O'Reilly website....

Thank you for the prompt responses, I hate to sound like a complete idiot, but this car is certainly making me feel like one!

On the crankshaft Balancere pully on the passenger side. Has two wires going to it. There are two small bolts that holds it in place. No adjustment required.

well, i changed the crank position sensor.....no changes, the car still presents with the same symptoms. i'm planning on starting the process of checking the circuit itself...

the car acts as if its running out of gas when it dies....does this change your opinions?

I just got this same code, P0340, on the way back from fishing with my boat. I checked out my haynes manual and it said to check the connector first, which should get 1.5A with the ignition on and engine off. I wasnt getting any reading so i checked the fuse for the CMP. Fuse was still in tact but the connections had some crud so i took a small piece of sand paper to it and plugged it back in. What do ya know, no more check engine light. Lucky me i guess. Had a similar issue with the fog lamps, disconnected the relay, blew it off, plugged it back in and wallha! Fog lamps work. Check fuses first...

Back