'99 Full width SAS 44/ 8.8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Full width SAS 44/ 8.8

Well I guess I should do this thread now sense my SAS is done now. Wow never thought I'd say thouse words.

So here's how it turned out.
Flex22.jpg

Here are the spec's

Front Axle
79 Bronco - Dana 44 High Pinion
Yukon 5.13 Gears
BTF 44 cover
Spicer u-joints
Warn Hubs
78 Thunderbird Calipers
Superlift FSB track bar cut down
Custom tie rod's from 1 1/4" DOM, 1/4"wall
Chevy 1 ton TRE's
7* C-wedges (need to go to 4*)
Wild Horse 5.5" Rock Crawler coils
BBCS 15" Shocks
Early Bronco Coil Buckets
Custom 48" long Radius Arms
Modifed Bronco RA mounts
Russell brake lines
First gen Explorer steering box
First gen Explorer steering shaft

Rear Axle
89 Bronco 8.8
Yukon 5.13 gears
BTF 8.8 Cover
Powertrax No-Slip locker
Currie custom disc brake rotors
Explorer disc brakes
BBCS 15" Shocks
Spring over leafs.

Extra's done during swap
Wenco custom rear shaft
Extended Explorer front shaft
1354 Manual T-case
35" Goodyear MT/R's
Bassett Black D-hole Rims

and some highlights pics.

NewFront.jpg

Bumper1.jpg

Flex21.jpg

Shock.jpg

Front_Brakes.jpg

rear_brakes.jpg

trac_bar_bracket.jpg

steering1.jpg

RA_mount2.jpg

flex.jpg

front21.jpg

749escd.jpg

Disc.jpg

nomember.jpg

SASStart.jpg

junk.jpg

and now she is done.

The full write up can be found here

Please feel free to ask any questions ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice rig..im going to be doing the same in may..so i might be asking you a bunch of questions..

My suggestions would be to see if you could find a Wrangler Rubicon down there, that you could steal a dana 44 out of, or just opt for a dana 30 out of a cherokee for now. I'm sure there are cherokees down there.

Dont bother with Rubi D44's, Your better off getting a XJ d30 and putting some money into. A rubi D44 is going to cost you like 2k. and all it is is a Dana 30 with D44 pig, but it takes Special Rubicon D44 gears only.

My suggestions would be to see if you could find a Wrangler Rubicon down there, that you could steal a dana 44 out of, or just opt for a dana 30 out of a cherokee for now. I'm sure there are cherokees down there.

he has a passenger side diff now though

question

Hey whats up? what would you say the gas mileage is now? Im looking to do the same thing but im waiting till i can afford another vehicle. I have the 4.0 sohc. Did regearing help the mileage at all?

Hey whats up? what would you say the gas mileage is now? Im looking to do the same thing but im waiting till i can afford another vehicle. I have the 4.0 sohc. Did regearing help the mileage at all?

About 10mpg:( city and hwy with the 35's. I just went to 37's so I havn't really checked the mpg yet though.

Do you ever get pulled over for the tires sticking out to far with the full widths? Mine is going to be a daily driver so i dont want to be a cops wet dream everytime he feels the need to bust me for something. Good news though. I found a 79 bronco for 500 bucks. runs too!

Do you ever get pulled over for the tires sticking out to far with the full widths? Mine is going to be a daily driver so i dont want to be a cops wet dream everytime he feels the need to bust me for something. Good news though. I found a 79 bronco for 500 bucks. runs too!

Havn't yet....

Back