• Register Today It's free!

99 short block with tm93 Heads?

HSlough

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 four door
guys I really need your help I have a 99 short block and I'm wanting to use the heads off of my 93, will that require me having to run 93 octane all the time. I'm aware that the early models had a different compression ratio then the later ones did or at least a combination of the heads made the compression ratio higher I'm just trying to make do with what I've got. I'm building the short block on the stand while I'm driving the Explorer because the Explorer is hurting. it's a 93 like I said. it has blown head gasket. I've already taken apart the 99 block which was a basket case whoever had it before I got it completely abused of the oil changing so the block is going to the hot tank the heads were trash if the crank needs to be turned then I'll turn it but it don't look like it needs it. looks like all I have to do is Polish it and be good to go. The rod journals look the same if they need to be polished I'll polish them or turn them I think I can get away with using standard bearings on both sides rods and Mains after I polish the crank I'm installing new cam bearings and using the cam from the 99 as well. I pulled the rocker shafts off the 99 pulled all the rocker arms off and reinstalled Sealed Power 1092 all the way through I've got new pushrods coming. 5.480 I think is what they measure. I know the stock length is 5.475. a new melling 328 hi volume oil pumps going in with a new pickup a new timing set is going on. along with a new bearings and put new rings in as well. that covers the short block. I need you guy's help with what kind of heads I need to run I'm using my stock 93 intake which has no EGR hopefully that doesn't matter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really guys? No help at all?

OHV - SOHC

Well if its an OHV then yes 93TM heads will work just fine. You can get technical info for camber size of the heads and deck height to calculate compression ratio on the ol' Googler.

IIRC 93TM head actually have a larger camber witch would lower the compression ratio. But! the deck height may be different.

95TM heads are stock throughout the end of production for the OHV engine.

Research key words "Colone V6". Engine produced in Germany. Hence the name "Colone"

Check Tom Morana Racing Engines for further info on the colone v6

Back