A/C in a non A/C equipped Aerostar van. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C in a non A/C equipped Aerostar van.

If there was an easier, cheaper or more economical way to air condition a vehicle, it would be in use already. I've been repairing residential a/c units for over 45 years. The capacity of the typical auto a/c is 3 tons or better. There is no way you're going to use a window unit running from an inverter to do that. The thermoelectric unit use electric like it's going out of style as well - not at all practical for cooling a whole vehicle and can only make lunch box about 20 degrees cooler than ambient.

Best to look for a hang-on aftermarket unit or find someone handy enough to install a used unit salvaged from a junk yard. Don't waste your money or time on those other ideas.

I didn't realize the capacity was so high. I take it that a roof top unit (about 1.5 tons) would not be enough? I will need to call vintageair and also the scrap yards for possibly getting a whole/total transplant of the a/c system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about the electric A/C which is used in a hybrid vehicle?

I don't know their capacity, but I was told that they use high voltage electric compressors not the 12V ones...

The vintage air unit is nice. I'd like to install one in my van. I could clear out half the engine bay.

I'm confused about one thing. The BTU rating is usually rated according to the cubic foot space of a room. The cabin area in a van is small compared to a room in a house. I know that a 5,000 BTU A/C could cool off a room in a house which is around 8' X 8' or even 12' X 12' so why can't it work inside a van?

I'm confused about one thing. The BTU rating is usually rated according to the cubic foot space of a room. The cabin area in a van is small compared to a room in a house. I know that a 5,000 BTU A/C could cool off a room in a house which is around 8' X 8' or even 12' X 12' so why can't it work inside a van?

Less insulation in a passenger van and none in a cargo van. A 10k BTU won't cool a freightliner truck in the summer.

It IS hard to believe,isn't it Brooklyn,that the smallish evaporator in a car could put out 12,000 BTU (approx. one ton rating) ,let alone 20 or 30K.

Welp! I did some searching and it turns out that the automobile AC capacities run from about 5500 BTUs to 14,000 BTUs depending on the size of the car.That's what I learned from a few searches. Seems reasonable. About 5 to ten HP needed to run them. This isn't talking about dual air systems and big cabs and such.don-ohio :)^)

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions, at this point it looks like I am better off selling my odd ball 5spd manual Aerostar van:( its just too much money involved to get a/c into it, plus I found an another Aerostar with a/c and already set up to flat tow behind my RV. The only issue is its very far from me, so I don't know if I can pull the purchase off at this point.
Does this forum happen to have a classified section. I looked but don't see, one, but I'm also kind of computer/internet challenged. Lol.

Again, thank you all for the help!

IMO, try living without the AC. I live in Georgia and drove an old ranger for awhile, it didn't have factory air and I wasn't about to go through the trouble. Only sucks when the temp hits 95°. 90° if stuck in stopped traffic.

To change to the factory system, you need to change the radiator, add the compressor, evaporator, the box on the firewall, and associated hardware/wiring. Oh and a bigger serpentine belt. I think you'd need the panel as well. The none ac vehicles don't have a button to turn the compressor on.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions, at this point it looks like I am better off selling my odd ball 5spd manual Aerostar van:( its just too much money involved to get a/c into it, plus I found an another Aerostar with a/c and already set up to flat tow behind my RV. The only issue is its very far from me, so I don't know if I can pull the purchase off at this point.
Does this forum happen to have a classified section. I looked but don't see, one, but I'm also kind of computer/internet challenged. Lol.

Again, thank you all for the help!

I'm just curious, what would you sell your van for?

IMO, try living without the AC. I live in Georgia and drove an old ranger for awhile, it didn't have factory air and I wasn't about to go through the trouble. Only sucks when the temp hits 95°. 90° if stuck in stopped traffic.

To change to the factory system, you need to change the radiator, add the compressor, evaporator, the box on the firewall, and associated hardware/wiring. Oh and a bigger serpentine belt. I think you'd need the panel as well. The none ac vehicles don't have a button to turn the compressor on.

I have considered it, but that thing bakes you like an oven real bad, plus I have asthma and also, my wife and kid do not do well in the heat, so I think my best bet is to try to get this other van that is already set up for what I need.

I'm just curious, what would you sell your van for?

I don't know yet. It kills me to have to sell it, because it is very low miles (43K) and it is such a great runner, but I don't have the heart to run it in the winter with all the road salt and I can't keep both. I have issues with hoarding cars as it is!:eek: Lol.
Off the top of my head, does 3K for the van sound reasonable?

Reply to ac unit

I had a vintage ac unit put in my gto great unit if you think you can install t your self you can't . You need a licence ac person to pump the air out of the unit and then recharge. Factory unit I don't think is r13 new stuff? I might be wrong then you got to pull half the nose off which might mean pulling the motor. Air box and heator core evaporate then running wire and relays. Then you need inside dash work. A vintage air hangs under dash much simpler and with the factory pull i.e. Changes might be involved. I had my gto done in 5 hours by a shop in jersey 20 years ago. And vintage air is the standard in custom hot rods

I had a vintage ac unit put in my gto great unit if you think you can install t your self you can't . You need a licence ac person to pump the air out of the unit and then recharge. Factory unit I don't think is r13 new stuff? I might be wrong then you got to pull half the nose off which might mean pulling the motor. Air box and heator core evaporate then running wire and relays. Then you need inside dash work. A vintage air hangs under dash much simpler and with the factory pull i.e. Changes might be involved. I had my gto done in 5 hours by a shop in jersey 20 years ago. And vintage air is the standard in custom hot rods

I deff could not install my self do to health issues, and the vintage units you talking about are nice but cost around $1500 w/o counting labor. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on your system?

I have considered it, but that thing bakes you like an oven real bad, plus I have asthma and also, my wife and kid do not do well in the heat, so I think my best bet is to try to get this other van that is already set up for what I need.

Ah, wife and kids... nevermind. Im in my 20s, single, and child free.
Probably best to sell the van then. Good luck

How many years have you served? I just had my 11 year anniversary.

How many years have you served? I just had my 11 year anniversary.

Served??? As in military? I didn't serve in the military, but if you did, thank you for your service. :salute:

Served??? As in military? I didn't serve in the military, but if you did, thank you for your service. :salute:

I was asking how long have you been married?

I was asking how long have you been married?

Oh, sorry.
We have been blessed to have been a team for 24 years now, will be 25 this summer!:) I guess statistically we are defying the odds...

Vintage air price

I paid a grand a long time ago. Vintage air is a nice compact unit. But someone must make a cheeper unit by now with China knockoffs. You might look for a used one in a mustang fourm. Many 1964 1967 mustangs had units mounted under he dash like a vintage air unit. My 65 6/3 spd had such a unit. So maybe other fords with out factory air had these dealer installed units used. Good luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back