Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

A/C not too cold, suspect recirc air...

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by skpyle, May 19, 2017 at 12:35 PM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. skpyle

skpyle Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Blacksburg, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
      Hello Gentlemen,

I have not posted recently as I have fallen off a cliff of 'while you are in there' on my project Porsche 928. All the while, my Explorer rolls right along in daily driver duty.

I am posting now because the A/C has never been too enthusiastic. A couple of years ago, I put on a new compressor, receiver/driver, orifice tube, and all O-rings. It held a vacuum, and I charged it with the proper amount of R134a. It has not really lost any refrigerant since then.

The compressor cycles, I see decent hi/lo pressures on the gauges. However, the air from the vents never gets below 45 degrees. It keeps me from dying of heat stroke, but not cool.

I am theorizing that the recirculation door for the air distribution system is stuck open, or not being closed. Can I find said door? Of course not. I have looked through the factory service manual. I have done countless google and Explorer Forum searches. All I find are blend door fixes. I don't THINK I have a blend door issue, becuase the system shifts from heat to A/C just fine. Put the EATC controller to 90 degrees, and fire blows out the vents.

However, I am open to suggestion, and will take any advice...

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Georgia
      2001 Explorer EB 5.0L
      I don't think the re-circulation door is your issue. Even if it never closes you should eventually see colder air temps out of the vents. Re-circ just allows the interior to cool off quicker. Assuming your A/C system is in good working order and fully charged, I think it's more likely your heater blend door is not closing all the way or perhaps the door's gasket foam is leaking and allowing heat to mix with the A/C. Even a small amount of heated air will overwhelm the A/C's ability to cool.

Is your vehicle equipped with a heater control valve? Some of the Gen II's have a heater control valve and some don't.

4. skpyle

skpyle Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Blacksburg, SC
      1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
      Hello Koda, thanks for replying!

My Explorer does have a heater control valve. I replaced it with a new Motorcraft part when I replaced the radiator and all the cooling hoses a few years ago.
      I have not checked to see if the valve is actually closing in 'MAX AC.' That is the only mode I run the A/C in. I will check the valve as soon as I get my Explorer back on her wheels.
      I have her on jack stands right now, doing brakes and parking brakes.

Thanks for clarifying the recirc door for me. For giggles and knowledge, I will start looking at threads on 2nd Gen blend doors.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

5. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Georgia
      2001 Explorer EB 5.0L
      You should check/clean your condenser too. They can become clogged with bugs, leaves and dirt. Then they don't cool very well.

6. skpyle

skpyle Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Blacksburg, SC
      1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
      Will do!

7. lobo411

lobo411 Active Member

1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV
      Isn't a/c performance better-measured as a differential between the ambient temp and the temp of air coming out of the registers?

IE, an a/c that produces 45 degree air on a 60 degree day isn't working very well. An a/c that produces 45 degree air on a 110 degree day is working fabulously.

8. skpyle

skpyle Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Blacksburg, SC
      1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
      True enough.
      My A/C produces 45-50 degree air on an 85 degree day. Unacceptable.
      I am driving my little beater 1984 S-10 right now. Its A/C blows snow out of the vents.
      My Explorer can do better.
      Monday, when I'm off work, I will investigate the blend door.

9. skpyle

skpyle Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Blacksburg, SC
      1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
      Brakes and parking brakes are now done on the Explorer, so I am back working on the A/C. I have verified that the heater core water control valve is open with the engine running, and closes fully when I set the EATC to 'MAX A/C". It is a new valve, but I don't know if it is physically stopping hot water flow completely into the heater core.

Something I just remembered, if I sit in the Explorer with the A/C on MAX, and the vehicle not moving, the A/C will get quite cold. However, when I start driving, the air temp warms up a bit. That is why I originally thought it was a recirc issue.

I found a self test procedure for the EATC that cycles the blend door. I am going to look into that tomorrow.