a/c relay???? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a/c relay????

I smacked the motor later that night with a set of channel locks and it fired up. I replaced the motor yesterday. The gasket came off with only one break and it was fine to re-use on the new motor. The clip doesn't seem that great but it's ok. Motor is working fine again without too much trouble. I also picked up some weatherstripping before reading the reply today but it was not needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Figured this might be a good place to put this...
My blower only works at HI, so I assume it's the resistor that needs to be replaced. To be sure I want to inspect and check it so I started looking in my Haynes repair manual. The section dealing with the blower motor resistor is good enough but the illustration they refer to for locating the resistor panel is missing!

Not being much of a mechanic I don't want to go doing things without knowing where to look - so... Can anyone please tell me where I can find the blower motor resistor?

I know it's supposed to be located on the heater housing next to the blower motor, but not knowing what to look for, it's just not that easy... Anyone who can explain or maybe even post a picture, I'd be VERY happy.

My blower functions intermittently also (A.C.C). good for a couple months then out of nowhere I get nothing for a few days before magically working again :\.

Currently it isn't working which brought me to this thread. From what bdmaash said it sounds like the blower (shaft) is going. I'm gonna try hitting (tapping) it with a hammer later to see if she'll start kickin again. If so I’ll look for a replacement.

I replaced the blend door servo back in the winter when I wasn’t getting any heat (brrr), but that doesn’t help when the blower isn’t working.

yeah...

Mine did this same thing. I went to the local junk yard and got a used switch(the controll with the 3 dials on it/where you would turn your a/c ON). Installed it right there in the parking lot and drove home with a/c again. I am not saying that your problem is the same, but maybe it is, worth a try. Cost me like $10 and 20 minutes.

Mine did this same thing. I went to the local junk yard and got a used switch(the controll with the 3 dials on it/where you would turn your a/c ON). Installed it right there in the parking lot and drove home with a/c again. I am not saying that your problem is the same, but maybe it is, worth a try. Cost me like $10 and 20 minutes.

unfortunatly i have the automatic climate control. figure it's either the motor or the blower controller mounter below it. i've found both parts for around $50. guess i'll try to narrow it down some time this weekend. (i'll "borrow" those parts from my mom's 97 explorer to test :D)

ok, I’m 99% sure it's my blower. I turned on the climate control and set the fan to max, popped the hood and hit the blower with my fist 3 or 4 times. After the fourth time the blower turned on and has been working since Saturday. (3 days)

It's defiantly a U.S. product, just smack it around a few times and you're good to go.;)

Blower Motor in my Explorer Sport not working

I know i'm in the Sport Trac section, but you all are discussing the blower motor and the assembly in the photo looks like the one in my 01 Sport.

All of a sudden, my blower motor stopped working (on any speed).
I replaced the blower motor, the blower motor still does not turn on.
I have check all the fuses in the fuse panel with an meter.
I took the switch out of the dash (the 3 position switch for the fan speed), I used the ohm meter portion of my meter and the switch measured out.

Any suggestions on what to check next? A relay or set of relays (since I have no motor at any speed setting).

don't know anything about the sport, but will offer some suggestions:
yes, check/swap relays.
On the trac, see one of the first posts with user manual, it shows relay 55 for the blower motor, -no idea if it's the same on the sport.

I would also suggest checking the blower motor resistor, but you say it works at no speeds, so it's probably not that, should check it anyways, could be a rusty connector.

Don't replace things randomly just because it worked for someone else, always check to make sure what you replace is really broken.

you probably could have measured to make sure the motor was getting power with the meter before replacing it, and applied power manually to it to see if it runs by itself - could have saved $40ish dollars.
If it was getting power and not spinning, yes the motor may have be broken.

Techs don't charge $100+/hour to guess, it's for properly diagnosing problems (well maybe they do for educated guesses when stumped).

85TA in your case, the switch/fuse/relay needs to be checked, probably only the relay left to check - look in the user manual for your truck so you know which fuse, relay to check.

It was the Blower Motor Relay...

Thanks for the advice bdmaash. I should have swapped out the relays before replacing the blower motor. It was relay in slot 55 that was bad. The part number to it is FOAB-14B192-AA. I bought it at the local Ford Dealership for $11.68 total.

It was kind of a fiasco replacing the blower motor, I did not find much on the net on where it was located on the Sport. It appears it is in the same place as the Sport Trac. I unbolted the speed control module and moved it out of the way, I then removed the air filter box, then I removed the water bottles to gain access to the blower motor bolts. I used a flat head screwdriver to "pry" up the original gasket (was able to remove it without tearing it). In order to remove the squirrel cage, I pulled the lock washer with a set of pliers and then I used a philips head screwdriver to sit on the blower motor shaft. I had my daughter hold the squirrel cage while I hit the screwdriver with a hammer. This made the squirrel cage to come loose from the blower motor shaft. I bought a multi set of lock washers from Autozone. There was one in the set that was the right size to lock the squirrel cage on the shaft.

I have a used blower motor if someone wants it (free). :D

lol, I have been driving around for the past two months without A/C... and it was just a little relay cause the blower motor not to work...

This forum is great!!!!

Blower Motor Relay is out again...

Hello All,

The blower motor worked fine during the drive home from the dealership yesterday. I jumped in the Explorer this morning to take it to the office and the blower motor was not working. Any suggestions on what I should check to find the reason for the relay to have been "blown" so soon after being replaced.
(The drive home yesterday after replacing the relay was the only time I started the Explorer til this morning - I forgot to turn the switch (ac control switch) to the off position before I turned the Explorer off, not sure if that should cause an issue or not, but I normally turn the system to off before turning the ignition off).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Best Regards,
Steve

The heater and ac controls from left to right. 1, Fan speed selector is working. I put in a new resistor.. 2,my hot cold selector only works on very cold or very hot. 3, Ac works well but only in max ac position. With the selector in ac position (not max ac) it will blow out warm air? what should i replace?

Back