A few questions on the new Sport I have | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A few questions on the new Sport I have

BillyD1002

Reaction score
City, State
East Setauket, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Sport
Is there any way to see an oil pressure gauge on these or an oil temperature gauge? I think the gauges I have found (which I think I found them all) are very limited.

Also, is there a garage door opener button or option on these vehicles to sync with my garage door? At almost $50k price I am a bit let down by the limited options I am finding or not finding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes I agree, for that price you don't even get memory seats. I love mine but if I did it again I think I would buy the platinum. My 2010 has garage door opener and memory seats, my 2018 sport does not. No oil pressure gauge, just an idiot light, that is the same as my older one.

Must be location dependent.
I priced out 2018 Sport with 401 package(memory seats and GDO among many other things) and it was 'only' $47000.
EDIT: Just noticed that includes a $2500 incentive, so without incentive it's $49,500.
EDIT 2: I also noticed that I was logged in under X-plan. Sorry for muddying up this thread.

But, if you have X-plan and live in MN, you can get a decent deal I guess.

Is there any way to see an oil pressure gauge on these or an oil temperature gauge? I think the gauges I have found (which I think I found them all) are very limited.

Also, is there a garage door opener button or option on these vehicles to sync with my garage door? At almost $50k price I am a bit let down by the limited options I am finding or not finding.

The garage door opener is only available as part of option package 401a, Ford “Safe and Smart Package,” on the Explorer Sport. If your window sticker doesn’t show that package, you don’t have the opener.

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&bodystyle=SUV&model=Explorer&year=2018

If you want very specific and functional gauges for very specific purposes, the only real world option would be to simply have them installed (maybe in an a-pillar pod of some sort) or just run a digital gauge through your phone (torque app and a bluetooth OBD dongle displaying readouts already available).

Another thing to remember is that these aren't really $50K vehicles - They are more of a $30K base vehicle with $20K in options/upgrades, and they pretty much perform as expected. They are very different from a true $50K base vehicle that would then have another $20K or more in options/upgrades available...

Thanks, everyone for the answers. I am just a little shocked and let down by the vehicle so far. Besides the nice torque curve of the Ecoboost (although gas guzzler so far), and the nice front seats - I feel it lacks so much even a less expensive vehicle comes with. I am not going to invest in adding anything to it being a 39-month lease (rental in my mind). I lease for my wife every few years and I drive older stuff if we are not driving together. I think I was a touch over $49k sticker and to not even have a garage door opener and still have to use a hood prop has me scratching my head. Not to mention the gauges, this is 2018 vehicle, you figure with the menus today they would have everything to read. An idiot light for oil pressure reminds me of the 70s vehicles I used to buy used. I am still feeling my way around this vehicle.

Good idea on the app and dongle for the truck, but it is not super important - just something I like to monitor when available and driving around. I have the app and dongle already, just not worth the effort. I also get the idea of the price, but no matter what base vs. options, the sticker is the sticker. My previous Grand Cherokee leases had a good amount more options at a decent amount less in sticker/monthly payment.

Greetings all,
First pardon my somewhat offtopic highjacking of this thread although I do have questions on my new sport as well...
I have to agree with Billy on several issues but I am pretty impressed with my explorer. I will say it came equipped with the safe n smart package so I do have some of the features he is lacking. Gas guzzler, yep. Just came off my first road trip and like high output engines of the 60's, doesnt matter whether hills or flat...pretty constant avg. 20 mpg.
As this is my first Explorer (Sport) with the ecoboost engine, I began investigating this engine and was impressed to find it in other vehicles at higher output. What I can not find is what is done differrent in these vehicles to obtain the higher output. As an example in the F150 with 475hp and 500+ lbft of torque. Is it hardware/software/tune or all of this?? Not that I want to up the power and stress other parts of the drivetrain but being an engineer I am curious. Ford has been very forthcoming with the coyote engine changes in the mustangs (350GT, Bullitt and standard 460hp in the 5.0 mustang) so I am surprised not to find what they do differently in other platforms with the 3.5L ecoboost engine. I even read the new Ford GT is going to have this engine instead of the V8 of past GT's at 600+hp and gobs of torque.
thanx all,

cheers,
willie

A ~$50K sport with 400A is just a base sport with moonroof/wheel/paint upgrades.
A ~$50K sport with 401A is not going to have moonroof/wheel/paint upgrades, but will have quite a few other features/toys.
A ~$55K sport is going to be pretty well optioned with 401A and moonroof/wheel/paint upgrades.
(above assumes MSRP/sticker price)

Keep in mind that hp/torque vary by vehicle depending on other factors, such as what the tranny and other driveline bits can handle.

I believe the 6F50 is rated to 300hp/280tq. I'm not sure if Ford has publicly stated what the 6F55 can handle, but I doubt it is much more than maybe high 3XX/low4XXhp and high 3XXtq. I'm not sure what the prop/drive shafts are rated at.

Side note, some people speculate that the 55 in 6F55 denotes the torque capacity divided by 10, which would mean 550 ft lbs. Others have said it is in Newton Meters, which means it would translate to ~405 ft lbs.

I think the main difference between the F-150 and Explorer 3.5L EcoBoost engines are that the truck motors are front to back and rear wheel drive oriented while the Explorer motors are sideways and front wheel drive oriented. The power output must be related to the design.

I think the main difference between the F-150 and Explorer 3.5L EcoBoost engines are that the truck motors are front to back and rear wheel drive oriented while the Explorer motors are sideways and front wheel drive oriented. The power output must be related to the design.

Also...truck engines are often slightly derated compared with regular passenger vehicle engines, for reliability reasons, and tuned for torque output. Compare the 5.0 used in the Mustang with the 5.0 used in the F-150, same basic engine, transmission, layout, different HP/torque ratings. For our purposes, the Explorer is a regular passenger vehicle.

Back