A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal

Unfortunately, being under the age of majority makes any contract for other than essentials that you enter into voidable, and that would include any contract for participation in this study - and that contract that would necessarily contain a release and waiver provision. A "voidable" waiver and release would not be a wise choice for the Testing Coordinator to allow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He should have his father/mother/guardian agree if he wants to participate.

glacier, have you heard anything about when this might happen. I want to do this a fluid flush and filter all at the same time. just hit 60,000

Thank You.

:confused: brooklin bay according to ford and the vin number plus the fact that I have a dip stick I would have to say that it is a E series transmission. apparently in 2002 ford put W series in the explorer and some E series in the sporttrac.

apparently in 2002 ford put W series in the explorer and some E series in the sporttrac.

Yes, the 4 door Explorers (IRS) got the W in 2002+, while the Sport and Sport Trac used the E until the Sport was discontinued and the Sport Trac was redesigned for IRS.

The 5R55W is a V8 transmission, very much like the 5R55E in design, similar but not identical. The EPC will be a little different won't it Chris? The Sport and Sport Trac only had v6's, thus only 5R55E's.

W's use a unitary solenoid block. If a solenoid in one goes bad you must replace the entire block (about $300 for the replacement block).

thanks guys I had to jump through hoops to get the info on my truck. I was totaly confused W or { E }. I still am included right glacier?

My father said he would help, so would i just have him sign the contract and help him instead of the other way around?

Updates?

I have a ebay rebuild that revs almost 500 rpm between 2-3 shifting(light to moderate throttle). Seller claims to have put in a shift kit. I had the trango in the original and its not even close to the old trans.

Count Me In ... Shopping for a Core Right Now.

This sounds like good program. I've had the 2 - 3 shift flare for a while, did the valve body gasket replacement with the plate mod, no change. So, to save out of service time, I'm shopping for a rebuildable unit to get ready and change in a day. I have all of Ford TSB's for this issue printed out so I would have the part numbers at hand. Seems like all of the transmission shops around me just want to bend you over with a 36 grit condom!

Since Ford has got rid of REAL engineers, I have no faith in the company any more. I have the use of my cousin who was one of the engineers they decided to get rid of. He was the only one in his department with actual Ford Service experience with his engineering degree, the others are art, history or english degrees. Why is there a problem with Ford?

I know I'm a late poster on this, Feb. and March were tough with work and traveling for my Lodge, no time for reading. Sign me up !!

Forgive my ignorance/stupidity... Are we talking about the auto 5speed like in my 99 xlt? I haven't had to mess with it yet...

If so, I'm sooo in. I live in Denver and make regular runs to SoCal so I think I'd be a great test.

Forgive my ignorance/stupidity... Are we talking about the auto 5speed like in my 99 xlt? I haven't had to mess with it yet...

Yes, the 5R55E was used in the 2nd Gen Explorers from 97 to 2001, and longer in the Sport and Sport-Trac.

Thanks dogfriend. I do know that I hate the way the thing shifts. ESPECIALLY 2-3. The flare description fits it to a tee. Like it's stuck between gears. My wife called me all in a panic when it first happened to her. heh

Well.... things are getting closer. By May 1st we will have a program here.. or not. I have drafted a Release and Hold Harmless Agreement for program participants and floated that by the Mfgr, without comment or changes. We are finalizing the main agreement and assuming neither they or I are not on opposite planets we should know soon if he have a green light, which I am hopeful of.

Assuming we do... I will ask all intereted participants to PM or email me their snail mail address. I will send them the Release form to peruse. Those sending it back will be considered participants, and will receive at no cost the test model of the EPC by return mail with instructions on how to install with the first questionairre to fill out and return.

After that there will be 2 or 3 more questionairres each with return postage... all you will have to do is fill it out and stick it in a postbox somewhere. ("How is it working, what do you experience on shifts", etc kinda stuff).

Keep your fingers crossed. A signed agreement and a few other business details and we're off.

Glacier

Thanks for your patience.

Didn't see this til today, but I'd be willing to participate if you need more test subjects.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in too, I would very interested in the test!!

should we PM you now or wait for the word?

Back