A-piller Guage pods? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A-piller Guage pods?

They advertise the pods for 95-99 Explorers. Is there really a difference in the 2000 4-door than the 99's & then more importantly the O1+ sports? I am going to order one and find out the hard way, I guess. I am pretty sure they are the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, OHV. So I guess I am on my own:eek:
I'll look there though ca't be that much different. I'll have to wing though. I heard somewhere that the is a special sender removal tool from FORD that you have to get, True or False.

Originally posted by ipozestu
Nope, OHV. So I guess I am on my own:eek:
I'll look there though ca't be that much different. I'll have to wing though. I heard somewhere that the is a special sender removal tool from FORD that you have to get, True or False.
True and False. It looks like a socket (a large one) will fit on it, but it won't. You will strip it if you try. I tried metric and standard. I ended up using a small pair of robo-grips and a lot of elbow grease. Takes a while when you can only turn it 1/20 of a turn each time.:rolleyes:

I've heard the block is the same for the OHV and the SOHC, so it may be in the same spot. If you know what it looks like it will make it much easier. I had no idea what I was even looking for when I did mine.

Well the gauges came in last night, I am going to give it try on Mon. I'm sure that I will be fine. I am going to try to get some pic's of the install for any one else that may want some info on this. That of course is if I get it installed and working properly. I will probably start a new thread though once I get everything done.

Be sure and get a link for us so we can look at the install. I'd like to have some guages too.

Alright I finally got everything hooked up. All works fine. I have taken some pictures, and am working on a write up. If you got any questions prior to the completion of the write up let me know.
Laterz
Jeff

You should switch the Boost and the Water Temp gauges. IMO it would be better to have the boost right there next to the RPMs.

so whens the charger going in?

I bought my gauges and pods from Barnett Performance. I bought 3 sets of pods, all duals. I installed one of the duals in my X now, and have another pillar in the garage that I mounted 2 dual pods on. Just haven't gotten the other 2 gauges yet to fill the holes. I fiberglassed around them and bought a can of the interior paint from Ford and painted it.

The 2 duals will fit in the pillar, but your dash vent on the top of the dash will blow directly at one of them...

I have went ahead and ordered a second one. I am going to do the same thing with the quad or at least tripple pod A-piller along with the Steering column pod.

Black - sorry for not getting back... Nice little bolt of lightning made my hard drive (and a few other things) decide to burn up :rolleyes: .

As soon as I get it back up, and can take more pics of it (they were on the drive) I'll post one for you.

Basically, you have to move the bottom dual pod down to where the dash vent blows at the bottom pod. Then trim a little off the bottom of the second dual pod bottom, so they will fit equally.

The first one I made, I didn't have any fiberglass, and didn't feel like getting up to go get any, so I used JB Weld to fill in around it and repaint. It turned out ok, but the dual I made with fiberlgass looks a little better.

I put on some a pillar gauges but am thinking they will draw too much attention. What do you guys think?

Ive got the same setup as Al and I love it. Gets people interested at stop lights. :)

BTW... just to let you guys know.... Summit has tripple pods in their catalog... lists at: $52.95

Well I have had my gauges in for a while. I am not to ssure whether or not I am happy with my A/F gauge. I am going to get rid of it and install an oil temp gauge instead. It is an auto meter lunar series modified A/F gauge you can check the specs. Here if any one is interested.<url>www.gadgetseller.com<url/>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 98FordX24
Ive got the same setup as Al and I love it. Gets people interested at stop lights. :)

It sure does! Here is mine. It turned out great but i might get rid of it and use the "steering column gauge pod"

fc30387a.jpg

Back