A-piller Guage pods? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A-piller Guage pods?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AutoMeter Ultra Lite 2 1/16" electric. I have the oil pressure and A/F meter installed. I've also got a coolant temp and tranny temp waiting to be installed (senders are in, gauges are not...).

I've also got a boost gauge that's waiting for a supercharger... :(

ok..s orry to ask this stupid question, but for everyone that has a air/fuel ratio gauge, and tranny temp gauge, where do you go about hooking it up to? what adapters do you need? im not the most mechanically inclined, but i have friends who are, and im willing to learn..

Doc I really like the look of the painted pod. But I guess I am going to have to take an official cop out here. There is a time when you have to say "It's good enough". I think it is that time for me.

jssong: Well the gauges are really quite simple to hook up. Considering there are only a few wires, and you are part of one of the best reference sources around.
A/F gauge simple... If you can locate a ground and a 12v switched wire. The signal wire will hook into the Gray/blue stripe wire on the vehicle side of the O2 harness. There are a couple tricks you can do with this. Example.... You can run one wire to either your left or right bank, or you can run a wire from each bank to a dipole switch so you can switch your gauge from left to right banks for comparison. This could prove beneficial if you decide to start playing with your A/F or add some boost or what ever. Most of the other gauges, pending you will be running electrical, just reuire you to locate the PCM or idiot sender install a brass T and nipple and hook 'em up. Not that tough to do. If it is something that you decide you want to do, I'm sure you have no problem finding some help around here.
Later Man
Jeff

Hey Doc (anyone) could you do me a favor and post a pic of you coolant temp sender installed. I am looking for differnt options then what I have now. Because it is installed in the T and not the block, my temp varies quite a bit. This might be the only way that it can be done but, I didn't write the bible on this stuff so I'm sure there are other ways.
Thanks,
Jeff

Originally posted by ipozestu
Hey Doc (anyone) could you do me a favor and post a pic of you coolant temp sender installed. I am looking for differnt options then what I have now. Because it is installed in the T and not the block, my temp varies quite a bit.

That's where I've got mine right now too. My temp is also a bit off. I just haven't gotten around to changing it yet. Here is a web site on where the sender can be mounted:

http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/gauge.html

This guy did it in a Mustang, but I'm sure it would be just as easy in our X's.

Magic - I'll snap a photo tonight and post it.

with questions on technical aspects of the installation go here:
Installation questions

mine are in.... but not hooked-up yet. I went with the tranny oil temp and engine oil temp gauge.... I need those gauges just in case oil gets way too hot while I'm towing a camper....

Kind of sloppy looking though, don't you think? Do we have that by-pass line that was mentioned? There has got to be another way. Right now I have my T insulated which works much better then leaving it exposed. Maybe just a little better job wrapping it will be worth it. Did you notice how much more sensative the Auto meter sender is compared to stock? It seems to take quite a while for the stock to even move. Its range must be set up a little different. I wonder what kind of voltage to stock sender runs. Like whether or not you could tap one to run the other.
This sucks... I went with the teflon sealant on my oil sender, and it leaks. Damn it!!! Should have used tape. Now I have to do it over again. not looking forward to it. I have been putting it off for a month or so.

Originally posted by ipozestu
Did you notice how much more sensative the Auto meter sender is compared to stock? It seems to take quite a while for the stock to even move. Its range must be set up a little different.

The stock temp gauge has three basic positions, cold, normal, and hot. That's why it moves so slow.

Dre--

What was the part number for the gauge pod, and where'd ya get it? I'm gonna be installing one w/ trans temp and coolant temp

I got mine on summit.

Link is fixed

So did we determine if the 3 hole pod for the 150 fits in the X? Which Steering column pod did you all use?

I am thinking maybe I will go with a two pod pillar and mount two on my steering column... I want these (I think):

Voltage
Current
Tranny Temp
Oil Pressure

But wouldn't mind trowing a water temp gauge on there too. But I think 4 is my limit.

I'm thinking of getting the two gauge pod for my 98' and throwing in a Tranny temp and not sure maybe the volt meter.

Anyway for the tranny temp, where is the best place to splice into the coolant line? I was thinking up by the tranny cooler where the tubes are rubber? What would I need to complete that kind of job? I'm not sure what the autometer gauges come with as far as installation parts go. I'm looking at the Phantom Series.

I was hoping they made some type of "T" that I could cut the tranny coolant line and hook each side into the "T" fitting with some hose clamps. Any links to part #s from Jegs or Summit would be great.

-Matt

You can get a T from any store that carries pipe fittings.

Does anyone know if the guage pods fit the 2001??

A couple of places I went to to order the pod for my truck said the A Pillar is shaped differently.

Anybody know for sure if the 98 to 01 are the same dimensions? Shape?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back