A4LD Reverse Drum Discoloration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Reverse Drum Discoloration

TDG

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Awhile ago I swapped out the original A4LD from my 93 with 144k on it due to 'squeak n creak' noises when in reverse and fears that if left unchecked rapid unscheduled disassembly of the internals would take place in short order.

Disassembly of the unit shows that it is in excellent condition with the only area of concern being the reverse drum and corresponding thrust (weave) washer which appears well worn.

Questions
- Is this discoloration 'normal' for a high mileage A4LD? I have another A4LD 'in a box' that has similar discoloration on the reverse drum, however, the very few units that I can find online for sale as used do not have this discoloration.

- Provided that there are no dimensional issues (warping etc) with this part is it reusable as is? (servicing the sprag and other assemblies of course)

- Is it normal for the sprag cover to just fall out the back of these? Mine showed evidence of rotational damage as if it had been flopping around in the case rubbing on something.

a4ld reverse drum.jpg

Does the band look like it was burned up & discolored as well? It's possible that the servo was jammed in a certain position, and prevented the band from disengaging. Was the servo ever swapped for a longer one? Did it have an extendo pin on the end of it?

As far as I know this transmission is factory original, all the parts I removed had original markings on them so it was not rebuilt prior to my taking ownership 17 years ago.

The reverse band looked normal and the servo appears to be standard (no extended pin or groves indicating a different length)

Here is a photo from a different angle - the discoloration exists only on the end and not on the drum itself. The plastic sprag cage is intact and functional as well.

IMG_0767.jpg

That drum looks normal to me, that discoloration is due to the manufacturing process.

The wear on the sprag washers is typical as well.

Back